*sigh* Guess it is may then...

zedin

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say lighten the load of Vampire boxes as much as possible at ReaperCon. I am hoping that means that my box gets shipped sooner. :)

This is more or less what I was going for. ^_^ He gets some of his Bones that much quicker, and Reaper has that much less to deal with when they start shipping again after the Con.

if they have the big models on display at the con, so i can get a GOOD look at them, then i'll be able to wait patiently until May. I am DYING to get my hands on Nethy, Kaly, and Big C in person!!

• Like 1

As Ladystorm pointed out if you are that unhappy you can request a refund.

There's at least one person offering to buy out unhappy backers.

Thus far, no one has taken him up on it.

Probably because someone being anxious to get something sooner doesn't really equate to not them wanting it at all.

Apparently this is a complex thought.

• Like 1

while of course I would love mine before may, ill live on the plus side i live in irving so going to head to reapercon fri and have a nice day

And pick up your vampire package with any case or paints you may have? ::):

can i pick them up there because if I can that would rock :)

but if not its only a few more weeks, trying to decide how ill paint up sophie should distract me for a time :)

Edited by jimthegray

The fact is, there isn't a perfect analogy for what Kickstarter is. It's not quite a pre-order, it's not a real loan, it's not an investment. It probably comes in closest somewhere between a grant, a loan, and a pre-order, depending on the nature of the Kickstarter. It's new. We're still figuring out what it is and how it should work.

I just look at it as a modern day version of roman lite patronage :P

Saddly, it seems far too many people view Kickstarter as a store, where it's more akin to Wall street with better guarantees. You are not buying something, you are agreeing to invest in something, with the agreement that you will get product back in return for your investment should enough investers be found to move forward.

Give an example of a way in which it resembles, legally, an investment.

Certainly. Because where here, I will use Reaper as an example. When the Kickstarter began they did not have product, they did not even have the molds made. They had a number of Bones and legendary Encounter minis available, which showed what could be done, but that was all. So they went with the Kickstarter. They came out to the gaming crowd and said 'this is what we want to do, these are some of the minitures we want to produce, will you help us pay for it? if it works, we will give you a select run' Buy pledging money we said 'yes we will' and there it went.

while of course I would love mine before may, ill live on the plus side i live in irving so going to head to reapercon fri and have a nice day

And pick up your vampire package with any case or paints you may have? ::):

can i pick them up there because if I can that would rock :)

but if not its only a few more weeks, trying to decide how ill paint up sophie should distract me for a time :)

You can pick up the vampire, paints and mini cases I think at ReaperCon. You CANNOT get your entire order, just those select parts.

• Like 2

Wow this thread really got a bit farther then I expected. I just started it to just say it's my luck I would be in the latter shipments. No blame to ReaperMinis for this at all. They have always done what they said they will do. This thread was more along the lines of 'crap I am too busy to cash this lottery ticket until next week'. Not that bad just mildly annoying since I am impatient. Some folks got WAY to serious. =p Lighten up.. I mean really.. they are little plastic figures =p (but cool plastic figures!)

• Like 6

Certainly. Because where here, I will use Reaper as an example. When the Kickstarter began they did not have product, they did not even have the molds made. They had a number of Bones and legendary Encounter minis available, which showed what could be done, but that was all. So they went with the Kickstarter. They came out to the gaming crowd and said 'this is what we want to do, these are some of the minitures we want to produce, will you help us pay for it? if it works, we will give you a select run' Buy pledging money we said 'yes we will' and there it went.

This isn't the legal definition of an investment. An investment is a sum of money given to produce future income. The fact that you're being promised product and not a stake in the company for the money you hand over makes it unequivocally not a legal "investment". If anything about Kickstarter legally constituted an investment the Securities and Exchange Commission would be putting people in jail.

"Will you help us pay for it? if it works, we will give you a select run" isn't what Reaper said. Numerous times the language "at this pledge level, you will receive..." was used, and it would be a slam dunk to show they are legally liable to provide the product or a refund. They could have said "if it works..." and then you could start to argue about how effective their disclaimer was, but they didn't. All this is just entertaining hypotheticals of course, this being Reaper and all. But plenty of other Kickstarters go belly up, and they are not investments, nor are they "give away your money and hope for the best" propositions. They're whatever promises were made in their solicitation of your money, and if they promised it, and you paid them, they owe you what they promised.

Edited by GregR
  • Like 1