*sigh* Guess it is may then...

zedin

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Horse meat is delicious! Cut me off a slice. I like it thin, almost transparent.

I've heard that to be the case many times, with people saying it's similar to venison. I really want to try it before I die, but in the US we have these weird taboos against eating certain animals that other cultures don't seem to have. I'd also eventually like to try dog, cat, pigeon, dove, guinea pig, and armadillo. In fact, if it's meat and it isn't endangered, I want to try it at least once. It's as simple as that.

Horse meat is delicious! Cut me off a slice. I like it thin, almost transparent.

I've heard that to be the case many times, with people saying it's similar to venison. I really want to try it before I die, but in the US we have these weird taboos against eating certain animals that other cultures don't seem to have. I'd also eventually like to try dog, cat, pigeon, dove, guinea pig, and armadillo. In fact, if it's meat and it isn't endangered, I want to try it at least once. It's as simple as that.

Head East then. A lot of that is rather easily obtained in the Orient. Sometimes without you even knowing...

Head East then. A lot of that is rather easily obtained in the Orient. Sometimes without you even knowing...

Or go to an asian market. I'm in Ireland and I'm pretty sure the market near my LGS serves dog meatballs.

Wow, that article is completely different from everything else I've read about that. Way to go journalism?

I think, with it's current terms of use, from a legal stand point kickstarter is very much like preordering (if payment is collected at the time of the order, which varies by seller). You give them money, in return they promise to give you goods at a later date, they are legal bound to deliver those goods or give a refund. That's not a lot different from a preorder is it? If I preorder from a store and that store goes bankrupt the result is also the same.

There is absolutely no way to draw a similar parallel with anything having to do with wall street.

Legally, AFACIT (I'm an academic lawyer and I teach English Contract Law here in the UK, which is fairly similar to US for business contracts): yes, you are right. There is a legally binding contract both in a pre-order and in a Kickstarter. In Kickstarter the company contracts to deliver their promise in a reasonable time (making a good faith effort to fulfil their estimated shipping date) or else refund the money.

A company or individual that does not deliver can be sued equally easily in both cases.

A company or individual can declare bankruptcy equally easily in both cases.

A company or individual who never had any intention to deliver has committed fraud equally in both cases.

Differences from a pre-order:

1. In case of non-fulfilment, the backers' claim is explicitly limited to a refund. With a pre-order you can theoretically get expectation damages which might be more.This usually only matters in commercial contracts - eg I pre-order goods intending to sell them on at a profit, if the goods don't turn up then in theory I can sue for loss of profit.

2. Time to fulfil - with a pre-Order you are in breach of contract if you don't deliver at the contracted date. The Kickstarter terms are such that the backee will have more slack - being somewhat late will not itself be a breach, but I would expect that a court would imply a 'reasonable time' clause, and IME 'reasonable time' for this sort of thing is usually measured in weeks, not months or years. In the UK a month late would probably be considered reasonable time, a year would not be.

Neither of those differences are actually very significant, IMO. In practical terms a Kickstarter may be somewhat less certain than a pre-order, but legally they are very similar.

They are legally liable.

My main worry is the idea that people should be given a pass just because it's Kickstarter. Far West was supposed to be out over a year ago. Cairn may not happen because the creator mismanaged funds. The creators aren't necessarily bad people, but they are not good business risks. They should be called out for not delivering. Backers should be upset with them. Maybe they aren't legally liable

Horse meat? Or 'beef' as we like to call it in Europe. Although as an Englishman I use the words 'we' and 'Europe' in the loosest of fashions.

Don't remind me... I was practically living on supermarket frozen meals for my first few months in the UK before I got work sorted. I find it hard to convince myself I wasn't eating substantial amounts of horse over that time!

I have it on good authority that it all tastes like chicken. Except chicken, which tastes like horse :;):

Add monkey to that list, it's really good.

Food tangent (might need to be split off): I worked with pigeons in grad school (white, beautiful ones) that were purchased from a farm. They mostly sell them to high end restaurants to serve as 'squab.' Also, if you rent 'doves' at weddings, you might be renting pigeons (which some might think is a little less romantic).