*sigh* Guess it is may then...

zedin

As a moderately serious ancients* gamer, I would avoid ancients like the plague.

The advantage you have is some reuse from fantasy gamers.

Disadvantages:

• 2nd C BC Romans look not much like 1st C AD Romans, who look little like 4th C AD Romans. And none of them look anything like Assyrians. Injection-molded figures rely upon economies of scale for success. It's hard to get those economies when only 5% of a small hobby has any interest in your figures – and that's for the popular armies.
  • Popular armies are driven by rules changes. An army that everybody wants today may be an orphan next year.
  • The few continuously popular armies (Early Imperial Romans, Alexandrian Macedonians, Medieval French, Sengoku Period Samurai, a few more) are also popular with miniatures companies, so there is strong competition.

If I were doing historicals, I'd limit myself to moderns, WWII (German, US, British, Russian, and Japanese), ACW, and Napoleonic (French, British, Austrians, and Russians) ... and maybe ECW if the British market for those figures is large (I don't know whether that's true).

* "Ancients" as a description for wargaming is a term of art that often includes 4000 or more years of history, from Sumerians to 15th C Burgundians.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never intentionally eaten horse but I'm almost certain that I have in some sort of meat product. I'd be perfectly fine with eating it as long as I knew what it was.

As for venison, I eat it on a fairly regular basis. What with being a recreational outdoorsman who actually appreciates his catch for its food value rather than for trophy purposes and all that. I know that squab is pigeon, but as has been said it's typically served in high-end restaurants that are out of my price range for food experimentation. Though I do wonder how many of the people who go "Oooh! Squab sounds fancy/delicious!" and then order it actually know what it is. I figure those numbers would drop dramatically if people were actually told it was pigeon.

If you are a recreational outdoorsman that eats what he harvests and want to try squab, go find a local dairy farmer with flock of pigeons and ask permission to shoot them for him. Although I perfer dove to pigeon.

My best friend has accused me of being willing to eat a rat. I told him that if it was being prepared, it smelled good, and others were eating it and enjoying it, I would try it.

If I was starving and it was all I could get a hold of, you bet your farm I would.

Edited by chaosscorpion

I wouldn't eat horse, only because all the horses i have known have been my friends, and I have known many, same with dogs. i couldn't bring myself to eat something I used to play with (though horse is often turned into dog food in this country, and that doesn't bother me) I have eaten almost every kind of locally available food type animal. From partridge on to moose. I quite enjoy most of it, though moose has to be prepared right or it's too gamey, and woe unto you if you let it get cold, then it tastes like chewing on a candle stick

and maybe ECW if the British market for those figures is large (I don't know whether that's true).

It's not. There's a bit about but Napoleonic and the Roman wars are much more popular for historical.

We dabbled briefly when Warhammer Ancient Battles released a ruleset but we didn't play much. I had a small army of cavaliers based on the Shrewsbury Royal guard as I live near there..

I've never intentionally eaten horse but I'm almost certain that I have in some sort of meat product. I'd be perfectly fine with eating it as long as I knew what it was.

As for venison, I eat it on a fairly regular basis. What with being a recreational outdoorsman who actually appreciates his catch for its food value rather than for trophy purposes and all that. I know that squab is pigeon, but as has been said it's typically served in high-end restaurants that are out of my price range for food experimentation. Though I do wonder how many of the people who go "Oooh! Squab sounds fancy/delicious!" and then order it actually know what it is. I figure those numbers would drop dramatically if people were actually told it was pigeon.

If you are a recreational outdoorsman that eats what he harvests and want to try squab, go find a local dairy farmer with flock of pigeons and ask permission to shoot them for him. Although I perfer dove to pigeon.

My best friend has accused me of being willing to eat a rat. I told him that if it was being prepared, it smelled good, and others were eating it and enjoying it, I would try it.

If I was starving and it was all I could get a hold of, you bet your farm I would.

Eating Pigeon is eating Rat, Winged Rat is my definition of Pigeon.

• Like 1

I wouldn't eat horse, only because all the horses i have known have been my friends, and I have known many, same with dogs. i couldn't bring myself to eat something I used to play with (though horse is often turned into dog food in this country, and that doesn't bother me) I have eaten almost every kind of locally available food type animal. From partridge on to moose. I quite enjoy most of it, though moose has to be prepared right or it's too gamey, and woe unto you if you let it get cold, then it tastes like chewing on a candle stick

My cat's name is Emergency Rations.

• Like 4

I would never eat my cat, especially when she would gladly keep me supplied with fresh mouse, songbird, and snake. Her bringing home dead rattlers is what earned her the promotion from 'stray I'm feeding' to house cat.

My cat's name is Emergency Rations.

Sociably acceptable behavior amongst goblin kind I understand.

• Like 1