love my bones!

lizardbrain

actually yes. I want to be a Daggerman

Infinity daggers does seem pretty cool. But I think I wanna be a warrior-jumper instead. I assume that, based on his name, he does a lot of jumping and hitting things. Probably both in a single action, which is always a good thing.

I'm quoting myself, because I just want to reaffirm my choice of the Warrior-Jumper in Gabriel the Younger's homebrew RPG after today's post. Not only do I have 10 points in both Warrior and Jumping, but I have 5 points in Archery and can turn the whole world into a jungle? Yes, please! You can keep your infinity daggers.

• Like 1

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not randomness it's the sample set is so small that d100 is too granular. Furthermore unless you have 100 distinct choices or have a specific way you want to weight results

And the exact same thing can be said if you're using a d20 and don't have 20 distinct choices. Again, there is nothing about that statement that applies to a d% that does not also apply to a d20.

but 30+ years of experience in rolling dice tells me bet against the d100 but be careful betting against the d20.

Then 30 years of "experience" has lied to you.

again, wow! this is the best thread hijacking i've seen in a while, in a good way. i think my lizardbrain grew 2 sizes today. a while back i saw a flyer for weekly Pathfinder sessions at my local Hoobytown USA, but i was in too big a hurry to ask about it. i think i'll check it out now, thanks everyone! please do continue with the tange... er, debate!

... and approximating a Gaussian with d% is fiddly.

Though Gygax did it a lot. And being that quite a few people don't understand a Gaussian distribution to start with, let alone a percentile approximation of it, they considered Gygax to be too table heavy. I did so at one time too, that is until I tried to simplify the heat exhaustion rules in 3.5 for a jungle campaign I was running. I had to make an excel sheet, put in their skill and other modifier bonuses, and then it would produce a percentage table they could roll on for the effect. That may seem complex, but it was one percentage roll that replaced up to 40 d20 rolls. I don't think the writers of the rules ever even tested them after putting them to paper.

Normally I would just wing it or use my old 2nd edition homebrew skills system, but the players were sticklers about playing the rules as written.

Halber

... and approximating a Gaussian with d% is fiddly.

Though Gygax did it a lot.

Hence the rapid and horrible death of Dangerous Dimensions/Dangerous Journeys. ^_^ And I'm very sure many designers of RPGs undertest their systems – or treat their playtesters with contempt. (I've seen both.)

• Like 1

And being that quite a few people don't understand a Gaussian distribution to start with

I understand a Gaussian distribution just fine. It's when I take my mass driver out to the shooting range and put a few rounds into a scored target. My average score afterwards is my Gaussian distribution.

• Like 1

because dice rolls are independent (ie have no memory), your argument is mute.

Sorry, but this is bothering me. His argument is moot. Not mute.

This is the kind of thing that usually has me swearing at the computer monitor.

I eventually convince myself that it doesn't matter and I don't need to correct every tiny grammatical error on the net.

The regulars on this board are unusually literate, :bday: even the goblinses. ::o:

• Like 1

because dice rolls are independent (ie have no memory), your argument is mute.

Sorry, but this is bothering me. His argument is moot. Not mute.

This is the kind of thing that usually has me swearing at the computer monitor.

I eventually convince myself that it doesn't matter and I don't need to correct every tiny grammatical error on the net.

The regulars on this board are unusually literate, :bday: even the goblinses. ::o:

You spell goblins wrong.

*duck*

Damn, you guys really know how to make a guy feel like sh!t over a typographical error, don't you? good for you, i bet you are a hit at parties.

Disclaimer: i have made typographical, grammatical, and spelling errors in the past, and i will do so again without regret. i'll admit, i am not a great typist. instead, i have spent my life learning to read and write the language of the human genome and life sciences. i have absolutely zero interest in proofreading posts made in a casual setting so if my errors bother you, tough turds, deal with it. hell maybe ill start dewing it just to piss you off. now, if you are serious about being a writing critic, why don't you read something that i have authored in a professional setting:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22821401.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Damn, you guys really know how to make a guy feel like sh!t over a typographical error, don't you? good for you, i bet you are a hit at parties.

Disclaimer: i have made typographical, grammatical, and spelling errors in the past, and i will do so again without regret. i'll admit, i am not a great typist. instead, i have spent my life learning to read and write the language of the human genome and life sciences. i have absolutely zero interest in proofreading posts made in a casual setting so if my errors bother you, tough turds, deal with it. hell maybe ill start dewing it just to piss you off. now, if you are serious about being a writing critic, why don't you read something that i have authored in a professional setting:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22821401.

My post wasn't aimed at you, in fact I considered pointing out that you'd used the wrong word and restrained myself. Most posts after that were taking the piss, not of you, but in general.

Sorry if I offended, that wasn't my intention. Like Mr Fry, I also try to reign in my pedantry.