love my bones!

lizardbrain

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW thanks for all the replies guys and gals! i've been out of the hobby for a couple years, and i died a little when i found out i missed the kickstarter. but that's not Reaper's fault, and i'll gladly pay the fullprice for these great minis. Thanks to your recomendations i think I'll look into Song of Blades and Heroes for my 7 year old and myself, along with that old Games Workshop game Pit Fighter. Anybody every try it?

WOW thanks for all the replies guys and gals! i've been out of the hobby for a couple years, and i died a little when i found out i missed the kickstarter. but that's not Reaper's fault, and i'll gladly pay the fullprice for these great minis. Thanks to your recomendations i think I'll look into Song of Blades and Heroes for my 7 year old and myself, along with that old Games Workshop game Pit Fighter. Anybody every try it?

I enjoy the Hades out of Song, and started playing specifically because if the Bones KS.

Never heard of Pit Fighter, sorry.

I used to collect action figures, but they became too expensive and took up too much room, so painting minis is an alternative for me. and it's a better hobby since there actually is a relaxing pass-time involved. So these are pretty much slated for paint and display, but at the rate that I paint, I honestly don't think I'll ever need to buy any more minis.

• Like 1

I loved Thac0 it made perfect sense. I miss it dearly :(. But I'm all Pathfinder now. pathfinder or die!!

Never understood the hate THAC0 got. Seemed like a simple mechanic to me.

Agreed Joe, for it actually was simpler, though it did not take into account that the 20 repeated for 4 times before going to 21 on the to hit charts in 1E.

The funny thing is 1E was really rather balanced, so much so that people frequently tried to simplify things because they didn't understand the reasoning, and in turn caused extensive imbalance in later editions.

Halber

• Like 1

the thing with THAC0 to me, was it never made sense how the better your armour and such was, the lower the number got. The whole Armour class 0 never made sense. To me, an armour class of 0 should always mean no armour class at all, because that's what 0 means, nothing. Didn't take long to learn how to figure things out and play, but it always seemed somehow backward to have a +3 drop a number

• Like 2

the thing with THAC0 to me, was it never made sense how the better your armour and such was, the lower the number got. The whole Armour class 0 never made sense. To me, an armour class of 0 should always mean no armour class at all, because that's what 0 means, nothing. Didn't take long to learn how to figure things out and play, but it always seemed somehow backward to have a +3 drop a number

Un armoured human had 10. So if your Thac0 was 20 then you need 10 to hit an un armoured human. 50/50 chance. 20 - 10 = 10. Makes perfect sense.

If un armoured human was 0 and your Thac0 was 20 you'd have to roll a 20 to hit the un armoured human.

Makes perfect sense :)

yes, I know how it works. I've played plenty of AD&D in my day, but it still seemed backwards to have better armor class a lower number especially when it came to magical items being all marked as "+ #" so a base human with a magical +3 loincloth of armouring would end up with an armour class of 7 from 10 even though 10 + 3= 13. the "+" is really a "-" but it's a "+" because that' how magic stuff is written

yes, I know how it works. I've played plenty of AD&D in my day, but it still seemed backwards to have better armor class a lower number especially when it came to magical items being all marked as "+ #" so a base human with a magical +3 loincloth of armouring would end up with an armour class of 7 from 10 even though 10 + 3= 13. the "+" is really a "-" but it's a "+" because that' how magic stuff is written

Think the pathfinder way might work best now...... ;) ofcourse I see what you mean and agree. I think the Thac0 probably derived for some surreal reason. I wonder if anyone has an explanation from one of the original few.?

There are people reading this whose brains hurt from our conversation.

• Like 1

I never really had a problem with THAC0 (besides the, "It's pronounced They-co!" "No! It's pronounced Tha-co!" argument) but I do think that one of the best things 3.x did was change the way armor class works. Of course, now I almost exclusively play Hackmaster for fantasy games, which uses a defense die and armor makes you easier to hit, not harder (but gives you higher damage reduction), so it's really a moot point for me.

I started playing with 2nd Edition. I have absolutely no problem with Thaco. I understand 2e mechanics pretty well, and can extrapolate what I don't. I'm trying to learn Pathfinder, but man it's slow going.