love my bones!

lizardbrain

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just roll dice behind a screen and pretend to look at them .. I dont get why they have not noticed some rolls i make out in front of them. Others I hide. Like I really know all the the halfling thiefs ability %s pfft .. I just make it up as I go along. And as far as role play ... our thief gets way too excited when we find a door ... and our cleric is afraid of climbing ropes.

• Like 1

Though it is more fun to do it in song.

I am the very model of barbarian

I sack and loot and pillage things

Common to antiquarian

I drink and play and often slay

Orcs and bears and dragonlings

All my foes shall rue this day

Olaf berserker. Olaf sing!

My love for you is like a truck, BERSERKER!

Would you like some making ****, BERSERKER!

My love for you is ticking clock, BERSERKER!

Would you like to suck my ****, BERSERKER!

actually yes. I want to be a Daggerman

Infinity daggers does seem pretty cool. But I think I wanna be a warrior-jumper instead. I assume that, based on his name, he does a lot of jumping and hitting things. Probably both in a single action, which is always a good thing.

Edited by Unruly

One of the reasons I will never play 4th, and one of the reason I wouldn't ever choose to play 3.x or Pathfinder any more, is because of the continued reduction in skill options. I LIKE skills. I would like MORE skills. I'm also not a huge fan of a d20 when it comes to skills and would much rather use a system like CoC or the new version of Hacmkaster where skill rolls are all d% based.

Unfounded argument. Similar skill sets got consolidated in 4th. They also fixed the min max problem 3.x had with skills. 4th is bad for other reasons and it is not the skills.

%d for skills better? I don't have the energy to run through why %d are just bad. Needless to say the only way to get a true percentage is to roll a true d100 which is a ball not a die. Difficult to read and quite possibly the dumbest die ever created. Tell me why do you need that level of granularity? The d20 elegantly handles the granularity one wants from the %d. 27% on 2d10 vs a 16+ on a d20 is nearly the same and on the d20 more likely to produce results closer to 27% than 2d10 can ever produce.

%d for skills better? I don't have the energy to run through why %d are just bad. Needless to say the only way to get a true percentage is to roll a true d100 which is a ball not a die. Difficult to read and quite possibly the dumbest die ever created. Tell me why do you need that level of granularity? The d20 elegantly handles the granularity one wants from the %d. 27% on 2d10 vs a 16+ on a d20 is nearly the same and on the d20 more likely to produce results closer to 27% than 2d10 can ever produce.

5% jumps are fine when dealing with things that have a near 50% success chance. If anything, it's too finely grained, but at the extremes, 5% is way too large.

And 2 10-sided-dice produces as true an even distribution as one of those golf ball dice does. That last sentence is just factually wrong. d20 can hit 25 and 30, but 2d10 read as percents can get 27%. I don't even understand why you would make a statement that obviously wrong.

IME, the Zocchihedron is insufficiently random for my use. It tends not to roll well and to land on the same numbers too often. (Plus there's the problem of which number is on top and how to roll it on a surface that isn't precisely flat.

d100 using two 10-sided dice distributes better, since most d10s are more regular sculpts.

2d10 is a different thing entirely, resulting in a triangular 2-20 distribution.

Aside: d10 * d10 is a very interesting distribution for some purposes, giving a bell curve that is strongly skewed toward the bottom of the range.

d100 using two 10-sided dice distributes better, since most d10s are more regular sculpts.

And even if you don't trust the shape of the d10, there are always d20 shaped dice labeled 1-10 twice (long ago, they were all like that). Being platonic solids, those should roll better.

Not especially convinced about that. The d10 is a fair shape (it's a d12 with the "top" and "bottom" pentagons approaching points), but the question is whether the mold is fair. And it's not clear to me that a d20 is any easier to sculpt than a d10.

FWIW, in the tests that I've done I haven't seen any systematic errors in either shape. It's difficult to get a sample size large enough to really see a minor problem, though.

Yeah. If the two d10s are both rolling fair, I don't see how it could be less fair than a d20. There's an equal chance of getting any number from 00 to 99.

Granted, I think 5% increments is granular enough for most situations. Heck, I use Savage Worlds most of the time, where the rolls are from d4 to d12, depending on your skill.

• Like 1