Sign in to follow this  
animesensei

Nethermaul, Cthulu, and Kaladrax base sizes

Is anyone here going to Reapercon? Can someone check it out so I know what bases to buy? I'm assuming the following:

Cthulu, Kaladrax, Nethermaul: 8x8 bases

Clockwork Dragon, Skeletal Giant, Deathsleet, Ebonwrath, Hydra, Jabberwock, Frost Worm, Pathfinder Red Dragon: 4x4 bases

Here's an example of a gargantuan undead dragon, ok it a shadow, but I think K and N will be like this :)

Image didn't load. I saw a colossal resin skeletal dragon at the shopping mall a few weeks back, even bigger than Kaladrax or Nethyrmaul. Unfortunately it was attached to a fairy in lingerie. Hits 26" height including the base. Would have bought that dragon at retail if the fairy could have been broken off.

51UKX1tD8vL._AA160_.jpg

Because of their bases' elevation, Big K and N-bomb might fit on a 4" round, perhaps after judicious base trimming. Likley they will fit a 6" round.

Big K isn't fitting on a 4" anything unless the trimming involves decapitation and de-tail-ination.

Cutting the stone might let them "fit" on the 4" base. There would of course be mondo overhang like a mushroom cloud of dragon. And big K will need a base much larger than it needs for it's body to avoid tail overhang.

Until we get some measurements, I'd say those who want bases for the big uns should just prowl the thrift shops and garage sales picking up wooden plates, wall clocks and oval plaques in the 6" to 10" range. I just scored a 8"x 16" pill base for one of my Screamin Red Dragons for $2.50 after clearance. Also got a 12" wooden base { lacquered wall plate ] for my Mythos Foundry Cthulhu.

zebigbaseth.jpg

Edited by Frankthedm

If you look at the pictures that have been posted...the plate is pretty much just for his base. There's a number of other figures you can use in there for a scale reference.

If you have a Michael's around (or any other similar crafting store probably), find the section with wooden plaques for engraving - they are not very expensive (I think they were under a dollar for ones that would fit some large minis like maybe the giant models here) and you get some variation in shapes.

Not sure off-hand if they carry any plaques big enough for the really large models or what they would cost, but I would imagine they do carry some (I know I saw some larger, I just wasn't looking for those sizes so I didn't memorize, sorry). And I for one am going to look into that once I have my Cthulhu and Kaladrax in hand :)

Actually, here are some (click on the Products tab to see the relevant results): http://www.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Michaels-Site/default/Search-AdvancedSearch?cgid=entire&simplesearch=Search&q=wood+plaques

Until we get some measurements, I'd say those who want bases for the big uns should just prowl the thrift shops and garage sales picking up wooden plates, wall clocks and oval plaques in the 6" to 10" range. I just scored a 8"x 16" pill base for one of my Screamin Red Dragons for $2.50 after clearance. Also got a 12" wooden base { lacquered wall plate ] for my Mythos Foundry Cthulhu.

I've seen the metal version of the skeletal giant squeezed on a 2x2", but I'd never do that. Mine is on a CD, and I think it looks "appropriate".

~v

I saw a colossal resin skeletal dragon at the shopping mall a few weeks back, even bigger than Kaladrax or Nethyrmaul. Unfortunately it was attached to a fairy in lingerie. Hits 26" height including the base. Would have bought that dragon at retail if the fairy could have been broken off.

51UKX1tD8vL._AA160_.jpg

How about painting the fairy to look like stone, as if it were a colossal statue the dragon is wrapped around?

Edit: 26"? That's almost furniture rather than décor.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think an 8x8 base MIGHT be big enough, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: The base MIGHT fit on an 8"x 8" if placed diagonally. Based on word of mouth intel, the table is 2' wide. After cropping, copying and pasting the base in the image, it looks like the base is over 8" long.

So it sounds like Big K's stone base might fit on a 6"x 9" wooden oval, IF the plaque's edges are flat without a rabbet or whatever that fancy edging is called.

Edited by Frankthedm

Yeah, I think an 8x8 base MIGHT be big enough, but I'm not sure.

The base should fit on an 8"x8". Based on word of mouth intel, the table is 2' wide. After cropping, copying and pasting the base in the image, it looks like the base is 7" long.

zklos.jpg

So it sounds like Big K's stone base could fit on a 5"x 7" wooden oval, IF the plaque's edges are flat without a rabbet or whatever that fancy edging is called.

Are you sure? In the photo it looks like Kaladrax's base is half the depth of the table, which would make it closer to 12". It appears to extend all the way back to the edge of the green card under the figure, if you look behind his left wing (on our right).

Edit: To put it another way, your cut-and -paste takes a selection from a photo with a very deep perspective and moves it downwards without changing its size, which gives a false impression of its relative size. If you had moved the images an equal amount up the picture rather than down it would look like only two of them could fit on the table.

A better comparison would be placing images in a line along the table right where Kaladrax is sitting.

Even so, I believe you may have inadvertently cut off some of the image from the back end.

Edited by Pingo

Made some errors, looking like base length is between 8" to 10", but under a foot, (more than 1 base length between front table edge and base). image coming later

Edited by Frankthedm