Sign in to follow this  
JeffyBaby

LE restock

I believe they're made of a black material instead of white, but yeah, they're prepainted Bones.

I don't have any LE figures, but I'm under the impression that they are a more traditional plastic rather than Bonesium.

So Legendary Encounters is just Bones but already painted?   :mellow:   I am currently not amused and shaking my head at each and every one of you.  

It looks like it is only one coat of paint, you could do an entire games worth in an afternoon.  ...I am still shaking my head. 

I don't have any LE, but after looking at my pile of 60-some orcs left to paint I can tell you I'm definitely in the market for LE orcs when they come back in stock.  Big bags of them.  The miniatures I have on-hand already represent the better part of a decade before they're done, even at my present sometimes rudimentary level of product, and I haven't even started selecting from the 2nd Bones Kickstarter batch yet,  I simply don't have time, table space, and resources to give up to more "army orcs" if I can fill out the remainder of the troops with prepaints of the same type. 

I have seen them at a local store, but prefer painting my own. The couple I saw were pretty nice looking and worth the cost if you wanted or needed a painted mini quickly

@Ted, some people don't have an entire free afternoon to paint Bones. 

I am sure some people dont, but people don't have a free afternoon. But I find it hard to believe people why play D&D don't.   *Still shaking my head*

But only so many free afternoons.  Some of those will be spent playing D&D.  And of those spent painting (and keeping in mind that not everyone has the patience or interest in painting), they may have other things they want to paint.

Look at Buglips.  Sure, he could paint up an entire horde of orcs (and he'd do so far quicker than I would, I can bet you that), but he wouldn't have time to paint up the dragon they're supposed to face afterwards.  Or the ettin.  Or the hydra.  And after a while, for a lot of people, painting up the same figure over and over again ceases to be fun.  

So there are reasons someone might go for LE figures without necessarily being lazy.  Sometimes, it's just time management.

• Like 6

I don't even have to buy them myself. One of my major complaints as DM last time, and why I quit it, was that I was funding all the minis, all the terrain, running the game, AND painting everything.

While not everybody in my group wants to start painting, most would be more than happy to supplement my labours by financing prepaints to bulk out the monster selection. LE has the advantages of being both non-random and of the same type, and I can tell you that an occassional batch of LE orcs, bugbears, whatever would have gone a long way towards keeping me happy.

ETA - one other huge advantage to LE is that they don't require shelf space. Anything I spend time painting goes on a shelf. I've invested effort in them. LE I can just chuck into a bag or box until needed. Just what I have in my immediate collection will eat 8 full shelves minimum. We can add at least anothe 4 to that by the time I finish picking through Bones 2, and probably close to twice that. When my painted minis wind up occupying 16 shelves, saving real estate with bulk forces is premium.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 7

In the interim I was thinking about this, and I don't think painting my Bones to LE standard is worth the effort.  It's worth the effort the way I'm doing them now, because they're better in the end than the prepaints and the price per model is good for it.  But if I were to paint them to the LE standard, factoring in the cost of materials and how much my time is worth, that's not an attractive equation.  That's only marginally less than the cost of the LE already done.  I'd be silly to do that, if I could just pay for LE.  

Also, LE aren't prepainted Bones.  Bones are unpainted LE.  That's how they evolved. 

• Like 3

I, too, have contemplated just painting some Bones to LE standard to supplement what I already have in LE. However, I just can't bring myself to do it. Once I sit down to paint something, I want to paint it to a higher standard. Call it personal pride. I realize I am allowing "perfection" to be the enemy of good, but that doesn't make it any less true.

LE I can just chuck into a bag or box until needed. 

I also take this stance. I have emotional investment in each of my painted minis. Even ones I painted 15 years ago due to the time and care put into them during the painting process. However, I have no investment in LE. They are all tossed into a box, to be dug out when needed, then tossed back in when finished. Even though painted Bones are similarly resilient, I just can't see myself treating them the same way.

• Like 4

I have the very rare afternoon free, and if I do, I can either paint minis, or play D&D. I've tried doing both, it usually becomes:

Me: <tongue stuck out to the side, paint brush in my hand, trying to get a color on and blended before another one dries...>

DM: Um, Thes, it's your turn, what do you do?

Me: What? Huh? Oh umm. I'm right there? Oh... when did they move... now I can't cleave... umm.. Ok, I'll take a 5ft step... err... that wont work will it... hrm.

DM: Do you want to delay your action?

Me: No! I want to kill! Um... ahh...

So yeah, painting and D&D don't work. The best I can do sometimes is clean mold lines.

• Like 6

In response to the comments about why anybody would want to buy an LE mini when the equivalent paint job is easy enough to replicate:

The wonderful thing about our product lines is that they are not compulsory.

If you are a hobbyist with the time and inclination to do so, you may purchase Bones or our various Metal figures and paint them, either to LE standards or higher, as desired.

If you are a gamer with no interest in painting, no paints or brushes of your own, and no time, you may buy Bones or metal product and use them unpainted.  Or you may buy LE models and use them as-is.

Or you can be a combination of both - using your painted figures for important things and a bucket of LE goblins to save you the time painting 30 goblins, and a bucket of unpainted bones soldiers.

We believe that the strength of our product line(s) is variety and variation in target audience.  Whatever you are looking for, we have over 3,000 different figures, a variety of materials, and a variety of prep work needed for use.

The differences in the lines, rather than making one line obsolete, useless, "dumb", or pointless, positions us to better serve the needs of gamers and hobbyists whose individual needs and wants differ from others.

After all, we as gamers, geeks, or nerds have been outcast and excluded long enough.  Reaper's product is inclusive, and we do not discriminate based on one's hobby proficiency.

@Ted, some people don't have an entire free afternoon to paint Bones. 

I am sure some people dont, but people don't have a free afternoon. But I find it hard to believe people why play D&D don't.   *Still shaking my head*

I work two jobs, 7 Days a week. I play D&D. Between that and house and yard work and the camping trip i'm planning (Gonna play D&D in the woods, on top of a bluff) It is very hard to find time to paint everything I need, in the time I have. When I can I paint, but I have many prepainteds to fill in when needed. Like others have said, I don't have any emotional investment in prepaints. They get tossed in a bag, while metal and bones alike go in a case.

So you can go on shaking your head at me, I don't have time to spare shaking mine at you :P

PS This camping trip is gonna be boss!!

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 10

EvilJames addressed why people want LE models perfectly.

I got Bones because they are cheap and I want to paint them, but I own enough prepaints from other companies that I don't have to paint something for the next session if I don't want to do so and still be able to use painted models.

• Like 6

As I get more bones, I'm finding I need less of the 'other companies' pre-paints. If there is a Bones III, I might find a big enough impetus to sell off some of that collection of prepaints.

• Like 2

Come on, do none of you watch television.  I painted this squad conveyor belt style two Saturday nights while watching SNL.  Why get the kickstarters if your arent going to paint?  

firstorcs-Copy.jpg

Edited by Ted Kord