Baugi's Bones (& sundry)

Baugi

It occurs to me that I'd rather have a consistent place to put things than a bunch of disconnected threads, and there are many things on the way that I'd hesitate to give their own threads (groups of quick and dirty Kobolds or Skeletons, for instance). Granted, I already have the blog (see signature), but this also afforded an opportunity for an alliterative title, which I couldn't resist. Perhaps one day I'll work for Marvel.

Anyway, here are links to everything I've done since returning to the hobby in ... October? I think? I don't work fast, so there isn't much yet, but future completed minis will be posted in this thread.

Privateer Press - Baldur the Stonecleaver - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46729-baldur-the-stonecleaver/?hl=baldur

Reaper - My First Campaign PC's (5) - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47842-d-d-campaign-pcs/

Reaper - Skeleton - http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/skeleton/sku-down/14354#detail/IG_2443_1

Reaper - Snowy Bones Dwarf - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47843-bones-dwarf-77011/

Reaper - Tulli, Gnome Revenant Fire Elementalist (Corim the Kestrel) - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48564-03433-corim-the-kestrel-gnome-sorcerer/

Thanks for lookin'!

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first effort at something vaguely like the Buglips Method of Quick Bones Production (patent pending). I am not good at leaving minis on their standard bases, but this time I wonder if re-basing might've been an error. Their feet are TINY, and very difficult to cut around properly, so you'll see some messy cuts around their toes if you look. Photo will be replaced with a proper one when I have the time. I snapped this with my phone before leaving for work.

post-8809-0-48318900-1366135036_thumb.jpg

Edit: New pics! Not thrilled with them... my camera's focal distance was being... finicky. I need to get a better lens for macro shots.

post-8809-0-26416000-1366219384_thumb.jpg

post-8809-0-45126000-1366219403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 14

There are 2 P3 Bloodstone, 2 RMS Crimson Red, 1 Citadel Tausept Ochre / AP Desert Yellow 1:1, and 1 AP Crystal Blue/ AP Skeleton Bone 2:1. Each also has an appropriate shading wash (brown for the bloodstone and crimson, AP soft for the yellow, navy blue for the blue).

Armor and cloth are all varied, but that'll show up better when I take a decent picture.

As to "ethnicity", there was some discussion not long ago about kobolds being minor dragons and probably sharing some of the colour variation of their cousins, and that sort of appealed to me. I wanted to do some green too, but I've got the bones goblins on the horizon, and they'll be half green, half tangerine, and I didn't want them to be too easy to confuse visually with these guys.

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 1

So this was the mini I had intended to enter in the RPG March contest, which was to showcase minis painted up as familiar classic RPG characters. My son got sick, and I missed the deadline, so my mini got shelved for a while.

I chose Cid Polledina from Final Fantasy IV, and used Gamak Redhammer from Privateer Press's Iron Kingdoms. Cid is typically pictured with an aviation-style helmet, which I attempted to sculpt, and is normally equipped with a mallet. I was thinking about switching out his giant wrench for the mallet, but I really like the wrench design, and my GS sculpting ability is still pretty sub-par, so I made the mallet and leaned it against the helmet, behind him (they were going to be in front of him, but I was really happy with the paint on his boots and didn't want to block them). His adventuring outfit also doesn't typically include the jacket, but this is Cid at work, fixing one of his beloved airships, not Cid out adventuring with Cecil and Rosa (and much of his concept art featured a leather jacket slung over his shoulder).

post-8809-0-46598400-1366575062_thumb.jpgpost-8809-0-73453600-1366575080_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Painted my first larger-than-normal-hero-sized mini! Huzzah! I really did enjoy working with the bigger size actually... I'm really digging Bones for monsters, too... I'd like to get another of these guys and do up a totally different palette.

post-8809-0-50341600-1367141959_thumb.jpgpost-8809-0-72405500-1367141992_thumb.jpgpost-8809-0-20702100-1367142003_thumb.jpg

Commentary welcome!

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 11

OC, yeah, it's one of the Privateer Press lipped bases. Most of my minis are likely to be used for D&D eventually, so I try to keep base sizing fairly accurate. Agree with you Araziel re:lipped bases, even though I reckon you probably thought you was commenting on your own thread when you wrote that. ;)

Oh, and yeah, if you get the bag of skulls from Secret Weapon you will find yourself tempted to use them on everything!

Edited by Baugi