Baugi's Bones (& sundry)

Baugi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the kobolds posted earlier, this is the closest I've come to a "speed paint". Our DM is stepping down for a few nights, letting another member of our group give it a go, and needed a mini for his half-elf ranger on short notice (I found out his race and class 3 days ago). I went to the closest FLGS, found nothing that would work, and decided to just use the copy of Bones Lindir that I had sitting in my (still rather large) yet-to-be-painted Bones box. The player's request was "green with leather and silver", so I wound up ripping off Buglips' Lindir palette almost completely, except for the hair and a few of the details. We're playing tonight, and I really don't have time to figure out a string and arrow for him, unfortunately. The basing concept is that he's seen something threatening from the road (the darker part of the ground) and is about to attack it.

post-8809-0-96252700-1368213782_thumb.jpgpost-8809-0-16355000-1368213790_thumb.jpgpost-8809-0-96678700-1368213796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 12

Great work on the face and the shading! You've varied the browns nicely. If you wanted to, you could maybe add a bit more red to the red-browns and a bit more tan/flesh to the tan-browns and darken the tree and axe handle a bit- it'd give you a bit more contrast. But it looks great the way it is!

Thanks for the tips you two. Corporea, embarrassingly enough, you just pointed out something I had intended to do but forgot! I like to wash down older logs with a walnut wash for some variation... That one looks totally unfinished! Gonna touch him up and might post one more.

Edited by Baugi

If you look at the case in the middle of Anduriel's back, you can see that red glaze I was talking about. The scabbards, case and pouches are all the same brown. Looking at it now, I might have added a different final highlight on the sword scabbard, another good trick to change up similar browns. I'm not good with mixing colors, so I use trickery!

Anduriel_2.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks all (and thank you Anne for the lovely compliments! His eyes were actually some of the hardest I've ever worked with, being unusually shaped, and crammed under such massive eyebrows)! CW - Funnily enough, there are actually 8 browns on this mini, plus some custom mixes, and yet it never occurred to me to glaze red on the red-browns... I shall have to try this.

Now, I have been asked by a friend to paint some of his 40k minis, and I've got a few guys at a local game store that have shown an interest in paying me to paint up some of theirs as well. I have virtually no experience with GW minis (except I'm very slowly working through a box of 10 night goblins which I'm using for colour experiments) but I'm actually rather looking forward to painting up something a bit more sci fi than my usual fare. I popped into a local game store not long ago and bought a couple of old, cheap Chaos Space Marines (which is what he's asked me to do once his arrive) in order to get some practice. My questions for those in our community who play 40k and know the minis and "fluff" are as follows:

1) what are the expectations for better-than-average tabletop minis in the 40k community?

2) Given the decidedly non-fantasy feel of the game, how does one base a chaos space marine?

3) Are there any indicators on this guy as to "Chapter", and what are his weapons? Most I see now come with 2 handed bolters, but he and his companion came with 2 small guns instead.

post-8809-0-06596700-1371495217_thumb.jpg post-8809-0-38432800-1371495234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 1

Apparently one weapon is a regular bolter, and the other a bolt pistol... which means that either way, I have 1 gun for 1 hand and nothing for the other hand for both guys... unless I just give them both 2 guns and say to hell with making them playable. Which is probably what I'll do. :ph34r: