Hasslefree HFA021 Dionne(b)

Pingo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks really good. I agree with everything the others have already posted.

Stupid question time, but what colours did you use to paint the overcoat? I can't quite tell from the pic.

It's my favorite neutral mixed grey and painting secret: burnt sienna mixed with ultramarine blue, lightened as needed with white.

Perfectly balanced, those two colors produce a semi-transparent naturally matte near-black that makes richer and more subtle shadows than straight black. With white added it becomes a nuanced neutral grey.

It's not quite perfect for glazing on minis scale, because even high quality ultramarine blue has a gritty texture in washes, but it makes for lovely deep shadows.

The mix can be tilted towards either brown or blue and mixed with white to make warm or cold greys which harmonize perfectly with the neutral one and blues and browns that also go together naturally.

I have painted entire paintings using only those three colors. I don't know that I would recommend that, but it is an interesting exercise.

• Like 8

This looks really good. I agree with everything the others have already posted.

Stupid question time, but what colours did you use to paint the overcoat? I can't quite tell from the pic.

It's my favorite neutral mixed grey and painting secret: burnt sienna mixed with ultramarine blue, lightened as needed with white.

Perfectly balanced, those two colors produce a semi-transparent naturally matte near-black that makes richer and more subtle shadows than straight black. With white added it becomes a nuanced neutral grey.

It's not quite perfect for glazing on minis scale, because even high quality ultramarine blue has a gritty texture in washes, but it makes for lovely deep shadows.

The mix can be tilted towards either brown or blue and mixed with white to make warm or cold greys which harmonize perfectly with the neutral one and blues and browns that also go together naturally.

I have painted entire paintings using only those three colors. I don't know that I would recommend that, but it is an interesting exercise.

Thanks for that detailed reply. I was thinking it had an almost burgandy grape look to it. I didn't pickup on the blue at all.

I quite like it as it sets off the rest of your blacks nicely.

• Like 2

Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine blue. I use those two colours a fair bit by themselves, but I would never have thought blending the two would come out like this. Learn something new every day, and seeing how I have a dark elf on my plate next, something immediately useful.

• Like 1