A Fair and "Better" Mini Voting System

Flow

Here's a question - being that users can be rated on various aspects of a miniature (e.g., color selection, blending, etc.), how might the 'overall' rating be reached? Should a voter be allowed to choose an 'overall' rating, or should it be the average of all of the other ratings?

Meaning, if someone votes an 8, 7, and 6 for color selection, blending, and basing, then the overall score could be 7 (an average of those three) or it could be chosen by the voter and be anything at all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question - being that users can be rated on various aspects of a miniature (e.g., color selection, blending, etc.), how might the 'overall' rating be reached? Should a voter be allowed to choose an 'overall' rating, or should it be the average of all of the other ratings?

Meaning, if someone votes an 8, 7, and 6 for color selection, blending, and basing, then the overall score could be 7 (an average of those three) or it could be chosen by the voter and be anything at all.

Hm. Good question.

I guess it depends what you mean by "overall." If you mean overall impression, I could see how something might look pretty nice at first glance, then sort of fall apart when looking closer at the particulars; likewise something that looks weak at a distance could have brilliant disparate parts up close.

So for that I would think a separate overall rating might be best.

• Like 1

1) There's no point in using a 1-10 scale. 1-4 will only be used by people trying to knock down an average score and 8-10 will be the same score by people with different calibration. I'd recommend using a shortened scale akin to that used in medal scoring. A simple version of those goes something like: 0 = not a competition miniature; 1 = some nice attempts, but still a ways to go; 2 = some very nice parts mixed with significant flaws or all competent competition work but nothing outstanding; 3 = very pretty piece, with many outstanding attributes, or extremely clean piece with effectively no flaws; 4 = best of breed. Note that in that scoring system, there's only a single score, not a score for each technical element.

2) I've seen figures with brilliant technical execution that fail as pieces of art and I've seen figures with decent technical execution that pull everything together to make great art. IMO, overall needs to be separate from categories if you use categories at all.

3) I'd recommend not having the aggregate score visible to anyone that hasn't scored the figure himself (other than the owner). Other opinions tend to poison the well of independent critical evaluation. And I'd be tempted to anonymize the painter until after the score is entered as well.

• Like 2

Someone upthread mentioned another forum has a show off forum dedicated to receiving brutal critiques. I do agree that these Reaper Forums aren't great for getting public critiques (although there is a stable of folks I'll pm when I want critical feedback); anyone here think it would be worthwhile to ask for a "go ahead and hit me" show-off-for-critique subforum here?

Rules along the lines of: don't post without legitimate, specific comments, post with an eye toward improvement not cheerleading, etc. Be brutal but not ugly.

Is there something like this already in beekeepers?

• Like 4

On the semi-tangent topic of feedback and critique... I feel I might be slightly off the forum atmosphere then :(

I am never looking to be mean, but am used to give feedback on what *I* believe could be improved some. At home, with my friends. I intend to treat you as friends as well. I pretend guys to tear down my work in a cheerful way, and suggest ways of improvement.

But I really like the great community you have here and don't want to go elsewhere. This is the very first painting forum I joined for these exact issues. I can take criticism, when well intended. I am my worst judge, so you can't say something worse that I think myself LOL

Now I am feeling guilty for the few posts I did on "I love it, but this could be worked on..." :(

Alright - the general opinion seems to be leaning towards a separate 'Overall' scale, which I think is fine. I also actually like the idea of a smaller scale (i.e., 1-5), *especially* since there are multiple ranks.

3) I'd recommend not having the aggregate score visible to anyone that hasn't scored the figure himself (other than the owner). Other opinions tend to poison the well of independent critical evaluation. And I'd be tempted to anonymize the painter until after the score is entered as well.

I really see your point and I do believe something like this needs to be done, though it does make requirements a little goofy. The front page will include a searchable table (really, it will be made up entirely of said table) that can be reordered (among other things) on scores - but how to reorder on scores, if a user cannot see the total score until they have voted?

I *do* think the score should be hidden at least in the "voting booth", as you are completely right - people are very much influenced by the opinions of others.

Maybe the main table can be sortable on scores; however, the scores will still not show up unless the individual has voted on them. This would actually be yet another design encouragement for people to vote, as voting would reveal how the miniature is doing on the whole.

On the semi-tangent topic of feedback and critique... I feel I might be slightly off the forum atmosphere then :(

Don't be hard on yourself - offering constructive criticism is really valuable and I do think that a lot of the painters here really appreciate it (me included!). As you said, this is a great community, and I think as long as criticism is positive and constructive, it is never a bad thing.

• Like 2

Okay - I did it. :bday:

Made in nine days. It is very much beta and I expect there to be bugs (bugs - there are always bugs).

http://www.minirater.com/

Feedback extremely welcome! I'm interested in making this the mini voting system that people always wanted but never had. I'm hoping this initial release is not terrible.

I should probably plug this in its own thread - what would be the best subforum to do so? General?

• Like 3

Ads, blech.

I'm not on facebook, and I don't want to register for crappy movie whatever.com.

You have not posted a privacy policy.

I don't like that I can't see ratings without logging in.

Oh it's just one eentsy teensy google ad. If this really is a major stumbling block, I'd likely remove it. I honestly want this to be a helpful community tool; I admit hoping that it'd earn two dollars a month to pay for server expenses. This site will never get me rich, it's not my intention to even try - it was just added in case it earns a couple bucks for the bill.

The registration was always for Minirater - the text instructions were a typo (a carry over from a template I'd used).

You're right about the privacy policy (nice catch!), and that is now in (standard Google template).

The point about the ratings is a quandary. The issue is that previous votes can *and do* influence a person's rating. By hiding existing ratings, you're helping people to make unbiased votes. But, I do understand the problem.

One issue is that it requires you vote on them to see the ratings *even if it is your own miniature*. I'll likely remove that requirement at least.

Ads, blech.

I'm not on facebook, and I don't want to register for crappy movie whatever.com.

You have not posted a privacy policy.

I don't like that I can't see ratings without logging in.

Not a huge fan of the ad, but I understand that he bought a domain and has to host it somewhere.

You don't have to login with FB.

Privacy Policy is at the bottom.

The point about the ratings is a quandary. The issue is that previous votes can *and do* influence a person's rating. By hiding existing ratings, you're helping people to make unbiased votes. But, I do understand the problem.

One issue is that it requires you vote on them to see the ratings *even if it is your own miniature*. I'll likely remove that requirement at least.

Agree and agree.