I want to do something nice for ReaperCon...but what?

GuyWithCoolBackpack

I've been mentioning on the forums that I wanted to meet people by ordering a lot of pizza and giving it away for free. Well, I haven't done that yet, and the fact that people are actually selling food there for lunch makes me feel like just giving it away might be a little unkind. Not to mention that everyone at the con so far has been SO NICE (thank you all!) that meeting new people really hasn't been a problem.

So I'm trying to think of something else I could do. Maybe morning donuts or kolaches (before Sonic and the Cookie girl show up)? Maybe some chocolate? Ice cream sundae bar? Maybe I buy a whole bunch of minis and just give them away to people? Flowers? Steampunk goggles? I'll take suggestions for ways to show appreciation, build community, or just...I dunno, I want to be nice to the community that has been so nice to me. Thoughts?

-npreecs (soon to be known as "GuyWithCoolBackpack"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep paying it forward. While I'm sure folks would appreciate a free munchie or mini, you really shouldn't feel like "paying back" requires a financial output on your part. Just be a part of the community that you so enjoy and appreciate. Share a smile. Share a joke. Share a laugh. Share that cool painting technique you just over heard someone else talking about.

I understand that doesn't have the same feeling of "doing something" for the community, but it's really what community is all about.

Now, it is your money to do with as you please, and I have no doubt people will enjoy a free something... what ever you choose... if you choose to give out anything at all.

• Like 3

Just pay it forward. If there is someone who looks a little lost or lonely, strike up a conversation. Or invite them to join your table/group.

Here's a thought: you could buy cookies from the cookie girl and give them out to the employees manning the melt table, the forge, Thomas the Tank Eng... er the Bones Machines, the internet desk, and the store. All of those are line staff positions, and they're all trying to do their normal day job in this chaos.

Ron

• Like 4

Just pay it forward. If there is someone who looks a little lost or lonely, strike up a conversation. Or invite them to join your table/group.

Here's a thought: you could buy cookies from the cookie girl and give them out to the employees manning the melt table, the forge, Thomas the Tank Eng... er the Bones Machines, the internet desk, and the store. All of those are line staff positions, and they're all trying to do their normal day job in this chaos.

Ron

If your worried about it I would follow his advice buy a bunch of cookies and throw em at people, I know I would love one but I'm stuck working.

Paying it forward is best idea.

Chat with a stranger. Smile. Be kind.

This is something I noticed while at the con. Everyone is friendly. Everyone is excited to be here. Everyone will talk about their passion with you. Everyone is willing to help. Everyone is, quite frankly, awesome. And I don't mean just the Reaper folk; the con-goers themselves are way cool. All of them.

-DD

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice feedback, everyone. You're all right, the Con is so great mostly because all the people are. I'm naturally a little shy, but I cannot tell you how effortless it has been to strike up friendly conversations with people I've known for all of 10 minutes,because they've just been sitting across from me at a table. It really is a wonderful feeling, and I hope it's a useful or profitable one, because It would be great if that spirit continues as the years go on. I don't need to bribe people to be nice to me and say hi. They're all doing it just on their own.

That in mind, I may try to bring in bagels in the morning if I have the time. I do like bagels.

Thanks for the nice feedback, everyone. You're all right, the Con is so great mostly because all the people are. I'm naturally a little shy, but I cannot tell you how effortless it has been to strike up friendly conversations with people I've known for all of 10 minutes,because they've just been sitting across from me at a table. It really is a wonderful feeling, and I hope it's a useful or profitable one, because It would be great if that spirit continues as the years go on. I don't need to bribe people to be nice to me and say hi. They're all doing it just on their own.

That in mind, I may try to bring in bagels in the morning if I have the time. I do like bagels.

I think a large part of the attitude, or atmosphere, or whatever, is that everyone is pretty much interested in the same hobby. Not only interested, but abundantly enthusiastic about it, and about sharing it. The same can't be said of any other (not many, granted) cons I've been to.

Zombies got nothin' on figmentalists. (concerning our desire to spread the disease; it's late, I feel the need to clarify)

-DD

edit 1 to clarify, edit 2 to correct typo

bedtime? maybe...

Edited by dispatchdave