Sign in to follow this  
GuyWithCoolBackpack

Stories from the Kickstarter Discussion at ReaperCon

Perhaps, then, an add-on that grows when that point is reached. You start with a vampire and when you hit the point that it is no longer profitable, a werewolf package of twenty minis for another $50 is made available and make it clear that the vampire package of 200 minis is as big as it will get.

I did not think the cost of plastic and labor was more than $100 per box at any scale, I learned something today.

Why not make a couple levels. Like the Vampire level is $100, but then also offer the Master vampire for $150 and the Vampire lord for $200... When stretch goals come out, just divide them up. Vampire gets 1 stretch free for every 6 stretches, Lord gets free stretch every 3rd stretch and master gets all the free stretches... Combine that with the paid stretches and that should be good.

I am hoping the next KS is for warlord. We could get some paid stretches for units.., Like 20 Oakhearth wardens for $40.

• Like 1

2) Plan out your *entire* kickstarter. The reaper folks had the whole thing figured out all the way up to numbers much higher than what they got. They knew what was going to happen at what dollar values and, other than some late-game changes which were probably a bad idea, they knew all the stretch goals before the kickstarter even went up.

Yup! Which is why I had all the paint sets for a good while now.
No, wait... Now that I think of it, I only have 1 very unapologetic e-mail from them - "but you WILL get ALL your stuff". Yeah, if you put it that way - what the hell was I thinking? Thanks!
ch9862

I was jolted by Bryan's admission that at least part of their problem was unexpected growth caused by the publicity from the Kickstarter. Apparently, a LOT of people who'd never heard of Reaper wound up catching wind of what was going on as a result of the Kickstarter, and mail orders went all Box Office Gorilla as a result of the sudden surprise influx of new business!

Who'd have thought that a sudden jump in business could be a bad thing? Well, maybe not BAD, but it sure slowed things down for a bit.

• Like 3

Bryan also mentioned shipping costs as a factor in the diminishing returns of a high-grossing ks campaign. It was mentioned by several of the panel members that ks project planners must remember that shipping materials (boxes, bubblewrap, etc.) are not free.

Hopefully those of us who picked up what we could at ReaperCon helped offset some of that cost! They don't have to ship 2x vampires, a case or my paints to me.

Hopefully those of us who picked up what we could at ReaperCon helped offset some of that cost! They don't have to ship 2x vampires, a case or my paints to me.

True. I got my Vamp and paint set, and picked up Bonwirn's double vamp, 4 paint sets, and three cases. He's lucky I like him; otherwise he might never see one of those cases. :devil:

• Like 3

My one attempt at sculpting a mousling so far did Not Go Well.

I have, to date, sculpted two miniatures. There are no pictures, and they are no longer in hand. I named them:

"Kill Me" and "Why Was I Made To Feel Pain?"

• Like 6

True. I got my Vamp and paint set, and picked up Bonwirn's double vamp, 4 paint sets, and three cases. He's lucky I like him; otherwise he might never see one of those cases. :devil:

Make that two of us! I already have some leaves packaged up and ready for you!

I have, to date, sculpted two miniatures. There are no pictures, and they are no longer in hand. I named them:

Kinda reminds me of the "live ones" created by Raistlin Majere

Reminds me of when I used to play AD&D - Our character creation method was the roll 4d6 and pick the best three dice for the six stats. We also had a rule that you needed to have at least two stats of 15.

It once took me four hours to roll a set of stats for a viable character.

We came up with a village where allllll the guys I'd rolled that weren't good enough lived. You can guess what kind of town it was ;p

• Like 3

I want a Mousling Kickstarter. :devil:

I would certainly like a Mouseling KickStarter too- with 'to scale' critters for a Mouseguard session maybe?

• Like 1

We once made our minis for a game using sculpey and an "armature" made of solder. Then we baked them to harden the sculpey and solder tends to get soft at a relatively low temperature. After the high gloss coat, my mini was bulbous, shiny and leaning heavily to the left on her bow-shaped leg-thingie. But the top-knot came out perfect - until it broke off during the second session, making her also bald.

Sculpey is wonderful stuff. I love Sculpey. I just bought another box of it, with the intent of using it to make bases when my Vampire arrives, but it is not the sculpting medium of choice for making miniatures.

Reminds me of when I used to play AD&D - Our character creation method was the roll 4d6 and pick the best three dice for the six stats. We also had a rule that you needed to have at least two stats of 15.

It once took me four hours to roll a set of stats for a viable character.

We came up with a village where allllll the guys I'd rolled that weren't good enough lived. You can guess what kind of town it was ;p

"I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took a 1 to the d6."

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 5