As I looked through my Shelf of Ancestral Shame, I noticed a really interesting looking rat sculpt. Given I had just finished the Barrow Rat from L2PK1, and also the pack of Bone Rats, I figured I'd paint it up along with two less awesome looking rats from the SAS and basically have a squeaking wave of terror ready to descend on my players.

Once I actually get around to getting some players. Mental note - minions before twisted acts of artistic science next time!

Anyways, here you go: my rat pack. I apologise in advance for my ghetto photography skills. If anyone knows the providence of the plague rat (I think it's a Grenadier sculpt from the late 70s or the early 80s) could you let me know?

Plague Rat Of Unusual Size

post-9284-0-41916800-1366540745.jpg

Anhurians Bad Day

post-9284-0-58060600-1366540740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 16

Yeah. I'm going to see if I can get a better picture tomorrow: I'm going to get some proper daylight bulbs for my lighting rig and possibly borrow a camera better than my cellphone.

Yeah. I'm going to see if I can get a better picture tomorrow: I'm going to get some proper daylight bulbs for my lighting rig and possibly borrow a camera better than my cellphone.

Good start, nikon 500's are GREAT for mini pictures.

wow. i really like that sculpt and what you have done with it. i'd love to have a freak rat horde of my own.

i found one listed as Grenadier GIANT BOG RAT from Horrors of the Marsh.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 2

wow. i really like that sculpt and what you have done with it. i'd love to have a freak rat horde of my own.

i found one listed as Grenadier GIANT BOG RAT from Horrors of the Marsh.

Yeah that's the one, I've got the other figures from that box set in the Shelf of Ancestral Shame including some epically silly lizardmen. Puts it at about 1983, which would be about right.

Here's a photo of the figure by someone with actual photographic skill - I think this is from the 2010 re-release, and my figure seems a tad more defined especially in the face.

post-9284-0-37442200-1366581792.jpg

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

Finally got around to getting some better shots: [Edit it went missing damnit >.<]

post-9284-0-00685400-1368442197_thumb.jpg

post-9284-0-34504000-1368442204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 3

kill it with fire. Sweet paint job. horrific looking beastie. It gives me the heebie jeebies just looking at it

• Like 1

Nice rats. Would be a great thing to throw at players, perhaps let them kill a round of mook-rats before the badass rats enter, with reinforcements? :)

kill it with fire. Sweet paint job. horrific looking beastie. It gives me the heebie jeebies just looking at it

This is what one has neclaces of fireballs for.

That and getting blowed up horribly when facing intelligent enemies.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1

Nice rats. Would be a great thing to throw at players, perhaps let them kill a round of mook-rats before the badass rats enter, with reinforcements? :)

It'll become a rat plague of terrifying proportions when I get the other 6 rats and the 2 rat swarms from the Kickstarter. Start off with the swarms, then the dire rats, then the giant rats, and then mommy and daddy rats entire to the strains of O Fortuna

As for killing it by fire - remember, I'm an evil GM. You don't want to try and cremate these guys without Level 4 Biocontainment protocols.

"I kill it with fire!"

"As it reduces to a small burning patch of rat-fat on the ground, the buboes on the back expand and explode! Roll to see if you had your mouth open or not!"

/dice roll

"Oh, dear. Tell me, are you familar with rat-bola at all?"

and this is why party healers should always have spells of cure disease. Wall of fire is good for clean-ups too, at higher levels anyway. Then again, my player group is odd that way. We tend to leave dungeons cleaner then we found them.

• Like 1

Personally I'm fond of hiring gelatinous cubes to travel through the dungeon giving it a good clean before the new owners move in. Sure, it's a little expensive, but that pine-fresh digestive fluid smell just can't be beat!