Sign in to follow this  
Amalor Myrnnyx

An exercise in rust

you went a little heavy on the armor Imo armor rusts in the creases and crevices first then spreads out, you have it on the broad flat surfaces, the axes look good.
other than that maybe do a red (drybrush? I'm assuming that's what you did here) coat and then go over that with this yellowish orange for a two tone look, I'm assuming he's using iron weapons so they would have a more of a red tint.

different metals rust in different ways, Iron

iron-rust-oxidation-997743-l.jpg

steel

preview.jpg

• Like 1

looks good, by my first thought about the rust is that it is a little mono chromatic. i tend to do a combination of browns, red-browns, and oranges with a stippling effect.

• Like 1

When I was at gencon Justin from Secret Weapon showed me how to do rust with pigments and he was using orange, reds and violets. When I'm not trying to use pigments I'll use a orange like you did and then do a wash of something akin to P3 Bloodstone but then wipe off the bloodstone after it's been on for a second or so--this gives the rust a nice amount of randomness.

I think it's a good effort for a first try, I only know what I do about it from various people showing me stuff in person.

• Like 3

To be honest the colour looks fine to me, it's actually the placement that looks wrong. Rust forms up in the hollows where (impure) water can pool first unless the whole thing has been soaking in water. Regardless the high points will rub clear from use.

This means the areas around the rivets, or the seams of edges and so on are where the rust should be before it gets on the big flat areas, also it tends to rub off this areas in use making them have shiny spots as well.

To get the shiny spots just do a light drybrush of your metal over the rust again.

• Like 5

To be honest the colour looks fine to me, it's actually the placement that looks wrong.

[...]

This means the areas around the rivets, or the seams of edges and so on are where the rust should be before it gets on the big flat areas.

I would agree with this. In general I always found that drybrushing the edges with "Blazing Orange" or whatever color equivalent did a good job of creating a rust "accent" on the metallic parts of models.

I agree with what the others have said. I think the axes are excellent. I have one that looks almost like that at home (came with the house, honest...).

A deeper red/brown color underneath would add some depth, i think. To me the orangy colour looks like the looser surface rust, and a darker shade down in the crevasses would really bring across the prolonged "ignored" feel.

The bracers to me need to be a little less uniform, more varied.

And some rust deep down in the chainmail, with a speckling of the orange color would be a nice touch. I've read that chainmail was a pain to keep from rusting at the best of times.

I'm hoping to try out some rusting and weathering sometime this year. Just picked up a set of pigments....