Thagrosh, Messiah of Everblight - Privateer Press

Mutilatedlips

Does anybody have any good links on how to get started with Song of Blades and Hordes/Warmachine? Is Reapers Warlord similar to all this stuff?

For Song of Blades buy the rules (if you have an iPad grab the Ganesha Games ap and get the rules through it), grab your minis and go pretty much.

Warmachine/Hordes the 2 player box sets are the best deal. But go to the Privateer Press site and in their Game section for each game there are quick-play rules including cards for some troops. These games have specific models for specific things so the minis matter.

Warlord browse the Warlord catalog on the site to see what the forces are, there is a quick-play set of rules on the reapergames.com site as well as a basic army builder. Warlord requires the minis be on appropriate bases but otherwise you are allowed to proxy any Reaper model. Go check out the Warlord subforums for army lists for each faction and in particular the Kickstarter proxy army thread in the general discussion area. If you invest in a rulebook and you don't care about the factions the Warlord 2E rulebook has easier to read rules presentation but harder to read army details and the fiction elements are weaker. The Warlord Savage North book is a far more polished product overall and I think has the more flavourful factions (unless you want undead) along with better writing, however the rules text is more dense (due to fonts etc) making it a bit harder to read quickly. Both books have the full rules so for getting the rules either is good, but they only have the faction specific rules for their factions (which is why I have both books as I wanted 4 factions from Savage North and 4 from 2E). Writing a full review of the books is on my to do list now I have both.

Thanks!

I've noticed the Warmaching/Hordes 2player box sets seem to all be plastic figures which I don't care for. I had a bit of time recently to look over the quickstart rules and it seemed fairly easy to learn and play. Just pricey and time consuming to get a few friends started.

I haven't been able to look at Song of Blades (other than the cheesy looking rulebook) yet or any other Reaper games. I am more old school D&D driven so those look very appealing to me too. It would be nice to make up my own stories/scenarios and this would come easier with Reaper.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The armor on the right arm - looks fantastic. Well done man.

I really like the armor on this beastie!

great colour scheme!

Thanks, those compliments mean a lot. The scroll work on the armor was not easy.

I recently bought a light tent. Once it arrives I am going to retake some pictures and hopefully the colors and such will come out even better.

Thanks!

I've noticed the Warmaching/Hordes 2player box sets seem to all be plastic figures which I don't care for. I had a bit of time recently to look over the quickstart rules and it seemed fairly easy to learn and play. Just pricey and time consuming to get a few friends started.

I haven't been able to look at Song of Blades (other than the cheesy looking rulebook) yet or any other Reaper games. I am more old school D&D driven so those look very appealing to me too. It would be nice to make up my own stories/scenarios and this would come easier with Reaper.

For good or ill, PrivPress is mostly moving toward plastic minis. The single-fig blisters are still metal for the time being, but most everything that comes in a cardboard box is plastic now. I like this for a bunch of reasons, though (and I do, in general, heavily prefer metal)...when carrying an army, metal is heavy and plastic is quite light; when assembling an army, good CYA glue bonds to plastic in a few seconds with a strong chemical bond, but it bonds to metal in minutes with a strong mechanical bond; the plastic still looks awesome; on the table, I see little difference between my plastic carnivean and my metal one; the plastic is cheaper at retail (seems misleading, since the msrp didn't change with the material, but if they were still making carniveans out of metal the msrp would probably be >$50, not $35, and it would only come with the carnivean, not the bits for three different things and the carnivean chassis).

All that said, it isn't the cheapest game out there (I just dropped about $200 to fill out my Legion army...and I still have another $100 to go before I'm done buying models), but it is widely played and the models are pretty sweet.

I know nothing about Song of Blades.

I do know that I'll have an army for Warlord in time for next Reapercon, because who doesn't want to play a cool game with awesome people? (To add: the rulebook is also simple to follow, though I've never played a game, the minis are no more expensive than you expect from Reaper, and the minis are awesome.)

If you want to do your own thing Song of Blades will make it easiest, especially if you buy the ap for the army builder and its a very old school DnD feeling game as well.

Another option is the Savage Worlds skirmish game, but there is more work involved in preparing a force, but the rules are free.

• Like 2

Thanks!

For good or ill, PrivPress is mostly moving toward plastic minis. The single-fig blisters are still metal for the time being, but most everything that comes in a cardboard box is plastic now. I like this for a bunch of reasons, though (and I do, in general, heavily prefer metal)...when carrying an army, metal is heavy and plastic is quite light; when assembling an army, good CYA glue bonds to plastic in a few seconds with a strong chemical bond, but it bonds to metal in minutes with a strong mechanical bond; the plastic still looks awesome; on the table, I see little difference between my plastic carnivean and my metal one; the plastic is cheaper at retail (seems misleading, since the msrp didn't change with the material, but if they were still making carniveans out of metal the msrp would probably be >$50, not $35, and it would only come with the carnivean, not the bits for three different things and the carnivean chassis).

All that said, it isn't the cheapest game out there (I just dropped about $200 to fill out my Legion army...and I still have another $100 to go before I'm done buying models), but it is widely played and the models are pretty sweet.

I do know that I'll have an army for Warlord in time for next Reapercon, because who doesn't want to play a cool game with awesome people? (To add: the rulebook is also simple to follow, though I've never played a game, the minis are no more expensive than you expect from Reaper, and the minis are awesome.)

From what I have read you don't need to drop as much to be able to play. A Warlock and some beasts and you are ready to go. In the long run I may end up purchasing a lot, but that I won't mind.

It looks to me like Privateer Press is keeping the starter sets on the cheap to get more people into playing. I don't predict them going completely away from metal anytime soon.

For the moment I'm not a fan of plastic at all, but I can definitely see some of your points about transporting and gluing (god I hate gluing these things.)

For example, I have board games like Castle Ravenloft that I have painted the minis for and all those bendy plastic ankles and swords seem to all paint flake in those areas. I find plastic much harder to strip if I'm not happy and generally have found them to be about the same price if not more than the price of metal in some cases.

I guess I am not seeing that drastic of a price difference. I personally would pay the extra $15 for a metal carnivean. If I was forced to pay for models I didn't want just in order to play, that would be another story (although, I probably would not pick that game to play.)

I recently bought a Mierce Mini for the 1st time the other day. I have been looking at it in that blister pack and wondering why I spent $25 on this little light piece of plastic when I could have had something comparatively the same in metal. I'm picturing the paint flaking off his ankles and it is making me sad :(

I peeked at Warlord's rules and it does seem nice and simple. Do the Warlord figures come with a Data card? I think I bought a Warlord dwarf, but I don't remember him coming with anything special.

Is there a mini game out there that works more like a team against the game itself? We board game a lot and enjoy games like Defenders of the Realm and Arkham Horror where you work together against the game.

Thanks,

-Ray

Thanks!

From what I have read you don't need to drop as much to be able to play. A Warlock and some beasts and you are ready to go. In the long run I may end up purchasing a lot, but that I won't mind.

It looks to me like Privateer Press is keeping the starter sets on the cheap to get more people into playing. I don't predict them going completely away from metal anytime soon.

For the moment I'm not a fan of plastic at all, but I can definitely see some of your points about transporting and gluing (god I hate gluing these things.)

For example, I have board games like Castle Ravenloft that I have painted the minis for and all those bendy plastic ankles and swords seem to all paint flake in those areas. I find plastic much harder to strip if I'm not happy and generally have found them to be about the same price if not more than the price of metal in some cases.

I guess I am not seeing that drastic of a price difference. I personally would pay the extra $15 for a metal carnivean. If I was forced to pay for models I didn't want just in order to play, that would be another story (although, I probably would not pick that game to play.)

I recently bought a Mierce Mini for the 1st time the other day. I have been looking at it in that blister pack and wondering why I spent $25 on this little light piece of plastic when I could have had something comparatively the same in metal. I'm picturing the paint flaking off his ankles and it is making me sad :(

I peeked at Warlord's rules and it does seem nice and simple. Do the Warlord figures come with a Data card? I think I bought a Warlord dwarf, but I don't remember him coming with anything special.

Is there a mini game out there that works more like a team against the game itself? We board game a lot and enjoy games like Defenders of the Realm and Arkham Horror where you work together against the game.

Thanks,

-Ray

Yes, the starter boxes for the factions are really nice, and well priced. The two-player battle boxes are also pretty sweet, since they cost the same as two starters, contain two starters, and come with an additional unit for each of those starters. It's like getting two units free! So you can get into the game for ~$50 per faction, which is really pretty good. But the starter is a 10-14 point army (depending on the faction you get) adn the smallest game is 15 points, so you'll need to grab a few more models (for Legion, I love the Shepherd! Great mini.), and once you decide to move up to 25 pts, you can easily spend another $50 for those ten additional points if you want. But that can come in time, as I think 15-pt games are super fun. Also, PrivPress' starter boxes are plastic now, but their metal blisters aren't going away too soon. Plus, you can find metal beasts fairly easily online for now, some even on sale because they're discontinued.

The PrivPress plastic is more like resin; it's quite rigid. It's much stronger than resin, too, so it won't break very readily. You don't need to worry about these minis bending--or paint on them flaking--the way PPMs or Bones do (although my Bones seem to hold paint really well even while bending). As for price difference, you won't see a concrete difference right now, since the msrp didn't actually change when they switched to plastic...but once you start in on the army, the likely cost of metal is prohibitive compared to the still-low price of plastic.

I don't know about Warlord's cards; they used to all come with statcards, but I don't know for sure if they do anymore. I believe the cards are available online from Reaper, but I haven't looked to be sure.

I know Kingdom Death's "Monster" boardgame is designed as coop-against-the-game, is minis-based, and has some sweet minis. It won't be out for a while, though, and will be pricey (the Kickstarter deal got backers the game for $75, iirc, so it likely will retail for $100 or more). Beyond that, Super Dungeon Explore is a great dungeoncrawl game, but one player has to be the monsters. For truly coop games, I love Pandemic (Z-Man games) and Escape: the Curse of the Temple (Queen Games); neither is minis-based, but they're brilliant coop experiences. Escape is likely my favorite favorite board game right now.

Re:Castle Ravenloft & PP Plastic

I haven't forced my Castle Ravenloft minis much, but I haven't seen issues with paint flaking either.

That said the PP plastic is indeed a rigid material, no fear of it being all bendy.

Re:Mierce & Resin

Mierce look like they are resin models. Resin is not bendy, in fact like a metal model if you bend it much it will snap at the bend point.

Re:Warlord Data Cards

No, but every data card for an army is in the relevant rulebook and all the data cards are available here; http://www.reapergames.com/

The army builder also prints all the special rules, except the doctrine & warlord rules for your force.

Re: Co-op Games

Well this is a list for guidance; http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12777/cooperative-board-games though its missing the WotC Adventure System games so wouldn't take it as absolute. There are also a few games like Super Dungeon Explore that have a "DM" vs "PCs" and Song of Blades and Heroes and Warlord can be played like this, as can games like Sedition Wars (you play the Strain and give each player 3-5 Vanguard models).

Edited by ObsidianCrane