What are the best tools to get started with?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silicon Clay shapers.

Cannot recommend them enough.

Size: 0

Colour: Black (Firm)

Shape: Whatever you find useful, I got a round taper and a round cup

They are tiny little perfect parcels of non sticking, fine detailing, non sticking...

Did I mention non sticking?

That and get yourself a hobby knife (xacto or whatever they're called) you probably already have one but if not, definitely comes in useful.

If you don't go with the clay shapers at first, then I recommend buying a jar of vaseline to prevent sticking to tools. Be warned however that it can also cause issues with sticking putty on bits that have vaseline residues on them.

Rubbing alcohol and a soft brush are key for getting that super smooth surface you'll often want. I find it's less harsh on the polymer than something like turpenoid and less smelly than mineral spirits (unless you get the odourless kind). It's also super-cheap.

Buy a pack of doll needles at the craft store (about $3 USD). They're about 3" long, chromed (makes them very smooth and somewhat non-stick), and very versatile. Really useful for scribing lines (wood, hair, fur, etc.), folds in clothing, general smoothing, and whatever you feel like using the back for. I also recommend some cheap clay (one of the little palm-sized packs of plasticine would work) for testing out new tools and techniques without the time pressure or expense of epoxy.

Patrick Keith (Bombshell Minis) was selling Sculpting Kits through the Reaper store at ReaperCon. I don't know if that was a con-only thing or if they're going to continue carrying them.

I bought one because it had a dental tool I've been looking for on the advice of the other sculptors, and color shapers that are hard to find.

Plus it came with a host of other good starter tools, a little ProCreate putty and some wire for armatures all in a little carry case. I think it was $40.

You might give the Reaper Store a call and see if they still have them. If not, I bet you could contact Patrick directly.