What bugs you most in miniatures?

The Basilisk

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fill. Fill drives me bonkers. RAFM is the worst for this, making minis where either you have to painstakingly cut out huge chunks of fill or paint it black to try and cover it up. They make a Barbarian cyclops who, in his own way, is kinda cool for an old school mini but both of his arms are attached along their whole length to his torso with massive amounts of fill. It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

Similar to buglips thoughts but perhaps a step more, I hate the whole mold line cleanup phase of working with minis. I understand there's not much that can be done but I'd much rather just move to the painting.

• Like 7

First and foremost is my own lack of competence in painting and modeling them. I'm good. I'm VERY good. I just ain't as good as those I seek to emulate. Yet.

And then, there is the Unnamed Company that sells minis for gaming... that sells Foot Soldier for four dollars and Commanding General (same size, same amount of metal, same packaging) ... for $13. That burns my bahonkus.

• Like 7

Nothing, really. I paint figures as a form of relaxation, if I started stressing about things it'd ruin that aspect for me.

So, I clean them up with a smile in my heart. I use a ultrasonic cleaner to both clean figures and agitate paints. Fill? Bah, paint it in deep shadow and no one will notice. Lack of detail? just a reason to add some myself.

I mean, I suck at painting. But I enjoy it, it's a chance to empty my mind and focus on each paint stroke as I make it. After all, what is the sound of one hand painting?

• Like 12

I hate the whole mold line cleanup phase of working with minis. I understand there's not much that can be done but I'd much rather just move to the painting.

Oddly this is my favorite part of the process. Not saying I am good at it just that I enjoy it.

The bane of my hobby is cutting my thumb with an exacto knife when i am prepping a mini. My thumbprint is just a bunch of tiny little vertical scars.

• Like 2

When minis that need to be assembled have surfaces meant to be glued that are WAY too small to pin. I like pinning the stuff I assemble! Let me do it! Privateer Press are NOTORIOUS for this.

As much as I love the minis for Infinity, they are far worse than PP in this regard. Especially for any kind of heavy infantry. Which sucks extra for me because I love my Yu-Jing, who have the biggest selection of HI in the game.

Also, they have the nasty combination of realistic scaling+ action poses+ shallow details= some godawfully inconvenient mold lines. Heads. you file off the mold lines and ruin the details, tails, you leave the mold lines and hope people look the other way.

Removing flash and mold lines. I want to start painting RIGHT NOW and hate sitting there spending time removing all that stuff. I also usually miss at least one that I don't see until I've started priming / painting.

• Like 5

hmmm... This is a hard one. Ya, mold lines annoy me, and pinning issues can annoy me. The more drilling I have to do the worse my hand hurts, but I have my husband to take over the drilling for me then. And to a certain extent I enjoy dealing with all those things, especially when I cen set my mini down and it looks right.

I think there are two things that annoy me the most. One is not being able to find the kind of mini I need (like a draconian female with wings) and have to make one from scratch. Too much conversion eventually irritates me, eventually I just want to get to the part where I paint. The other thing is scale difference. I have a bunch of dwarves which are all the same size, but their heads and whatnot are different sizes. It's weird looking. Especially when they all come from the same company (looking at you Reaper).

• Like 3