No Bones yet.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted the timeline over to the KS comments, although I expect it to be buried pretty fast.

also - WTF is with my formatting above? either I'm not caffeinated enough or something is very wrong with my computer...

I'm guessing you cut-and-pasted the comment from somewhere else.Those are html tags that are invisible when interpreted directly, but when they're dropped into a text editor like the one here on the boards, they show up as text.

FWIW, I use Notepad to strip formatting when moving from one app to another that plays with characters differently.

• Like 1

• Members

Trust me, Erifnogard, if anybody ever convinces to jump back into the living Hell that is Kickstarter, I will be adding at least 6 weeks to all of the internal time estimates (mold time +6w, cast time +6w, ship time +6w , etc).  Container shipping will be assumed 2 months per instead of one month per, etc.

Makes me wonder how mad people would be if we shipped early, since I'm guessing that has never happened before...

The Montgomery Scott school of time planning is something I live by. :)

Besides, we all know who's fault the delay is:

khan.jpg

• Like 5

<p>Trust me, Erifnogard, if anybody ever convinces to jump back into the living Hell that is Kickstarter, I will be adding at least 6 weeks to all of the internal time estimates (mold time +6w, cast time +6w, ship time +6w , etc).  Container shipping will be assumed 2 months per instead of one month per, etc.  </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Makes me wonder how mad people would be if we shipped early, since I'm guessing that has never happened before...</p>

You might want to generate P10, P50, P90 estimates for dates (P90 = 90% chance that will ship by X date, so most pessimistic) and then just tell people the P90 date (and possibly the P50 as an optimistic estimate). I doubt that people will mind if you ship early.

Ron

I doubt that people will mind if you ship early.

Ron

See, we had angry responses during the KS to Stretch goals that were free minis. Hey, here ya go, with this next goal, we'll raise the money to give you free stuff! and people complained. They complained because it wasn't the right free stuff for what they themselves personally had the most use for.

I no longer have faith that we can do *anything* that somebody won't complain about.

Id say that having a reasonably precise timeline is exciting.

What a lot of people seem to be misinterpreting is that alongside an exciting update, the information in this update also caused some upset over previous updates. Reaper are simultaneously getting feedback over the current update and having to make up for the upset caused by poor communication in the past. An update to give us a timeline for delivery would be great, with the assumption that we were previously kept up to date and already knew that delivery wasnt going to happen within the next few weeks.

It shouldnt be interpreted as any problem with this update. If previous updates had been of good quality and kept people up to date, this update would be received positively and without much drama (apart from general upset about the long delivery time, where those people were going to be just as upset regardless of getting any update now or not)

I do want to reply to this - and I don't mean to single you out, and I'm not trying to jump you, but your post was convenient as it summed up what i want to address: People that are angry are assuming we knew that the final container would ship May 21 all along.

Not quite right. People who are angry are looking at the time length between when you seem to have stopped shipping and when you updated and thinking that that was a very long time to be holding your breath and hoping no one noticed. Particularly when there are posts like this one that seem to imply things that seem rather misleading now http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48373-how-complicated-are-you/page-11#entry701327

Ron

See, we had angry responses during the KS to Stretch goals that were free minis. Hey, here ya go, with this next goal, we'll raise the money to give you free stuff! and people complained. They complained because it wasn't the right free stuff for what they themselves personally had the most use for.

I no longer have faith that we can do *anything* that somebody won't complain about.

I've always felt that there are people out there who could win the lottery to the tune of $10 million and still complain. Don't worry, though, I think there are plenty of people, like myself, who are still excitedly looking forward to the minis, delays or not!

• Like 1

Ron

I know a SAR guy who got yelled at by a mother for saving her kid's life.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure you can't. There is an irreducible minimum number of complaints for any large project.

The trick is to identify the difference between those complaints and the legitimate ones so you can ignore the former and address the latter -- and it's a neat trick, indeed. Some legitimate complaints will be widely held by people who don't express themselves much in public and some hyperbolic complaints will be picked up by a vocal minority.

All you can do is what you can do; try not to stress too much.

• Like 1

Ron

Oh gawd do I remember *those* "people". You could have given out free ice cream and a $100 bill for every reward level and still had complaints that the ice cream was only chocolate or vanilla and the $100 wasn't $200.

Illegitimi non carborundum - don't let the bastards grind you down

(yes I know it's faux Latin just go with it language nerds!)

@Cmorse - that's got to be the 4th or 5th time you've linked that post. I was not hiding the fact that we were waiting on more containers, I came out and said it. In addition, I stated quite openly that there was information I was concealing. And there still is. As one example - I'm still not telling precisely which items are in which containers, or how may of each are on each container. There are other facts, too. I'm not denying it.

Were there factors delaying shipments that I didn't mention? Absolutely. I don't sleep well and haven't for months, (not because of my conscience, as you have implied that I'm deliberately deceptive) because this project is more complex than anything I have ever done, and it is, quite frankly, terrifying the number of things that could go wrong. There's little things - like paperwork SNAFUs, and big things like containers being late. I don't think it's necessary to post an update that a part number got inverted on a customs form back in February and there was an hour long phone call to clear that up, and that was not a fun hour, but in the end, it caused a delay that was not noticeable on your end, so why bother? It just makes people worry, and keeping people from worrying is part of my job.

But I don't think that's what you're trying to say. So rather than beat around the bush, I will answer outright what you have tried to imply. Yes, I spin. It's part of my job. I put as positive and optimistic a face on the truth as I possibly can. Nothing I said was a lie, but some of it was more cheerful sounding than the reality behind the curtain might warrant. I am absolutely guilty of trying to cast the most positive light possible on the facts, and trying to push to the shadows some of the less pleasant realities. I do not now, nor have I ever, denied that.

Even in this very post, I'm trying to be as positive as I can. Yet, in previous posts, I have openly admitted mistakes, errors in statement and judgement, and so on. I give you my word that I will be as truthful as I can possibly be, given that some information will always be concealed for internal reasons, and further, I promise that I will always be as positive as I can. For me, the glass is half-full. This last update was an attempt to correct the errors of the past. Dates and hard details about shipping were given, something we had been sly about in the past.

If that means you can no longer trust me, I accept that. For my part, as those who know me can attest, I will never deliberately lie, although I can be wrong about stuff just as much as anybody else.