Dibblers workbench.

I want help and comments, and am horribly lazy at taking pictures. Having a place to comment on whatever I'm doing should help at both :). Please criticize, give advice and help me get better at this! ^_^

Current work: Human Duskblade, Hafling Druid and her dog animal companion, all reaper.

Hat made out of green stuff :) I dislike the green on the hat, I painted that after washing the hat, how to paint over that without making the hat-colors look weird?

I did something really stupid on the dog. I started out without a good feeling on the colors, got an OK yellow, washed with a brown, and suddenly decided it was a good idea to try some black... 2 Minutes did short work of 1h of painting :/

post-9309-0-93892500-1366661839_thumb.jpgpost-9309-0-76679800-1366662238_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-53105700-1366661857_thumb.jpgpost-9309-0-16013600-1366661866_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've been garthering courage to deal with the hafling-hat. Current plan is to try to mix a color that matches the rest of the hat. I don't like the look of the blue cloth on the human, either, highlights looks so much better IRL. Perhaps add some on his back?

Procrastinating that, I started to work on my bones Bathalian, removing mold lines with my brand new xacto knife. Turns out it is really effective at cutting bones!

post-9309-0-84068300-1366837698_thumb.jpg

First I cut the shoulder-pads-things when removing the worst mold lines. Yay, green stuff time! Then I cut the staff while working on the green stuff :blink: . Luckily I broke the combo and repaired the staff without ruining anything. I'm planning to use buglips' color scheme on him, with the glowing staff, that was a really neat idea.

Basecoated the Bathalian. I need to make the staff more glowy, a light wash? :)

(Also, I really need a more reliable way to take pic's than borrowing my GF's phone when shes home! The camera on my phone could have been better.)

post-9309-0-97838500-1366902842_thumb.jpg

To help with the photos, try putting a sheet of paper behind the mini before you snap the photo. A neutral grey is best, but any solid colour will do for quick pics. That'll help the camera auto-focus on the mini, not the background.

A wash probably isn't going to make the staff more glowey, even if it is one made of light ::D: You could, however, try layering or dry brushing some lighter greens, or maybe even some yellows, with a few small pinpoints of white for glints of light.

• Like 1

To help with the photos, try putting a sheet of paper behind the mini before you snap the photo. A neutral grey is best, but any solid colour will do for quick pics. That'll help the camera auto-focus on the mini, not the background.

A wash probably isn't going to make the staff more glowey, even if it is one made of light ::D: You could, however, try layering or dry brushing some lighter greens, or maybe even some yellows, with a few small pinpoints of white for glints of light.

Will try :)

I'm trying to replicate Buglip's glowing-staff-Bathalian, with light green inside the staff, darker outside. I suspect my one pot of green to not be intense enough, tho :/

Did some work on the hat and greens on the hafling. I like to think I got it a bit better. Working on them doesn't feel that good anymore, and the game they are for doesn't need them to be perfect. Perhaps I'll call them done soon?

A bit of yellow will liven that green right up, make it a bit more vibrant, especially something like Sun Yellow. And I'd still recommend against a wash, with as uncontrolled as those tend to be, I'd wager you'd end up tinting most of the staff and throwing your colours all off. Not to say you couldn't just go back and correct, just that it might be a bit of a pain.

An alternative would be to just coat over the whole thing a brighter green, then work up the darker colours on the outside, same way that Bugsy did his. Nothing wrong with adding another coat on there, if it's thinned, it won't obscure anything.

And if you're happy with the halfling,then call 'em done! Means more time for other minis ::D:

. I suspect my one pot of green to not be intense enough, tho :/

Mix it up with some white and you'll get a really light green to base coat with, then you can shade up to a darker green to get glowing light green cracks.

A cheap easy way to get a background is a sheet of A4 braced against something, then sit your mini on to take the picture. If you've got something you can use that's grey that's better, but a piece of paper will do in a pinch.

You can get different coloured sheets of felt at Michael's for about 50c. Grab a grey and a black, and maybe a blue, and you're covered!

No Michael's around, I live in Norway :) Still, another item for the "things to look for in the hobby store"-list.

Did some highlighting on the face of the Bathalian, washed his inner-cloak-lining, drybrushed gold. Didn't like how the highlighting on his head turned out. Based GW Demonette Hide, washed with Druchi Violet, mixed base with Pure White for the highlights. I want them smoother and a bit brighter, but when I add another layer I smoosh the paint all over the previous one and turn the entire top brighter :/

Mixed green with white, washed with that, drybrushed with green+black. Feels like the glow doesn't justify the green staff. Idea for a repaint: paint the middle of the staff brown, as wood, and the curly bits the same color as his tentacles...

Fixed up the hafling-hat a little, seems like it worked! Happy Dibbler. Think I might call them done (or "part of the bunch that will get spray-varnished when I spray varnish stuff")! New minis to paint that I want to paint more! Great idea! Enthusiasm!

Thought what the heck, If I am to let the dog go for a swim I might as well give him another coat. Painted a lot of black, and found that I really like this look! I'm even planning to paint over his feet with a new brown and keep the paintjob :)

Opened my 77007 Ghost to start removing some mold lines. The plastic feels a lot softer and bendier than my other bones, so much that I easily can wobble it back and forth on its base :/

post-9309-0-69754400-1367008344_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-22204600-1367008347_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-76661200-1367008349_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-97982800-1367008351_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 8

I like that gold on the Bathalian. I may have to steal....err borrow that for one of the next two

Borrow away! I used GW Auric Gold over reaper pure black :) Good thing the blue needed 2 coats, so that one could repair the damage from the drybrushing and black ;)

Did some more work on the dog today, pic's will come later. I need to finish the Bathalian, but I am a bit afraid of starting on him. I have been trying to layer the coats of my last few minis with thinned layers of the base coat + gradually more white. Same thing for his purple head, that I just cannot give the smoothness I want for it. Any pointers?

The doggie is done! It went from a boring mini I needed to get done, to being good fun time! I even did some freehand ^_^. Any thoughts on him? Things I should have done differently?

I'm not sure if I'll let the base stay as is, or cut the top and bottom of it and add some green stuff, ala the badger:

I painted the 03216 Badger two months ago, and did a horrible job at it. So he needed to bath, but simple green is not available in Norway. I tried "Jif universal spray", it took a few days of soaking and the result could be better. I feel like he is to small for the warlord square bases, so I green stuffed him to a coin.

post-9309-0-51356100-1367170633_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-19058300-1367170642_thumb.jpg

post-9309-0-07600400-1367170651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3

The bones 77007 Ghost was great fun to paint! Did it in under an hour last night, chuckling as I worked. I should have gone to bed a lot earlier, yet this was so awesome! I need more of this guy, perhaps cut of the tombstone and find something else he can come out of?

Imagine a Hirst Arts castle/ruins with these guys all over, or a cart with them, or adding them to a dungeontile to dramatically have it come out of the wall!

post-9309-0-74034800-1367217694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3