Dibbler

Dibblers workbench.

Got my shipment from naloomisworkshop today! Castings of Hirst Arts moulds, and a bunch of small, cheap bits. The point is to make long wall-pieces to use as dungeon dividers in our D&D games. I, sadly, can't really work on it today, need to do study. Besides, I also need to buy some cheap craft paint as well :)

post-9309-0-21577200-1367494661_thumb.jpg

Aahh another hirstartser! Soon you will know the pleasure of actually casting your own bricks :P (And with pleasure I mean hours and hours of not-that-awesome!)

The plan isn't to make huge amounts of it, only to make a set of wall pieces, without floors, to put on top of gaming paper instead of drawing with markers. Aand I do know how this sounds. Youre probably right! xD

It. Has. Begun.

"Just a few", "Not a huge amount", "Just a few more", "Let me get some more molds", "MUST. CAAASSSTTT" ;)

Fellow Norwegianer here. I think grønnsåpe is pretty much Norwegian simple green. Like you figured out however pretty much anything with a high % of soaps will do the trick.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Maglok's right, be careful. It's easy to get hooked. ::D:

The molds straight from Hirst's site aren't that bad price wise (though shipping to Norway might be...), and plaster can be found pretty cheaply at most any hardware store. Casting them yourself is so simple that even I was able to do it, so anyone can get it done.

I picked up molds 204 and 250 to do a basic dungeon setup for some friends who wanted to try playing D&D, and next thing I knew, I'd built a 3D version of the entire dungeon from the first 4E D&D adventure, complete with walls about 1" high. Took about a ton of Elmers glue, a quarter of a bucket of plaster, two full tubes of craft paint, and about two weeks, mind you. And I won't lie, the first parts I did looked pretty bad, since I was learning as I went.

Still, it was easy to make the materials, and learn how to build a pretty wide range of dungeons with just two of the molds. Given the range they have available, there's quite a lot more you could do. It becomes pretty habit forming and very fun. Fortunately, both my friends and I had children, so we gave up that group. Otherwise, I'd still be casting... :lol:

Thank you, Araziel! I did not expect to find countrymen here, which part?

Hirst Arts, not even once? (And then a picture of a guy with a huge amount of RPG terrain). The shipping is reasonable, I may get a few molds some day. Possibly. I'm not sure if I would start using dungeon tiles, it seems like I wouldn't be able to find a good match for whereever the PC's are, and I'm bad enough at digging trough my notes and minis as it is. Perhaps if I get a bigger gaming area ^_^ .

(This post will be a real laugh to read in a few years, if I end up with a mountain of HA terrain :;): )

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 2

*Checks drawer, notices 20ish HA molds* I am STILL casting!

Good luck. Hirst also ships ridiculously fast (like 4-5 days from america to europe), for it to arrive that is.

Plaster needs to be strong like dentists use!

Trondheim, so I have Outland, but honestly it's mostly online shopping for me. Where are you at?

Regarding HA (not trying to get you hooked here, just sharing what I found myself): I was at one time considering getting some molds, so I looked for a source for dental plaster. In case you one day find yourself in need dentalspar.no has something called vel-mix stone (I'm pretty sure that's the good stuff),~500NOK for 6 kg. At least it's not something you want to order from overseas :P

Edited by araziel

Trondheim here as well! 0.0 I'm a bit active in Hexagon and have attended Hexcon for the last few years. Yeah, we have outland. I try to shop there when I can, great store! It's a lot of online shopping for me too, tho.

Good to know, thanks. I've seen people mention that it might be clever too ask your dentist, I might try that.

I have family (a bit distant - third cousins and the like) in the Trøndelag. I've visited relatives from my mother's side of the family in the Valdres and down near Oslo, but I've never been able to get up north.

I have family (a bit distant - third cousins and the like) in the Trøndelag. I've visited relatives from my mother's side of the family in the Valdres and down near Oslo, but I've never been able to get up north.

I originally come from Fredrikstad, south of Oslo. Moved to Trondheim to study (applied physics). :upside:

Trondheim here as well! 0.0 I'm a bit active in Hexagon and have attended Hexcon for the last few years. Yeah, we have outland. I try to shop there when I can, great store! It's a lot of online shopping for me too, tho.

Good to know, thanks. I've seen people mention that it might be clever too ask your dentist, I might try that.

I've only been to hexcon once and I've lived here for what, 10 years now, originally from Mo i Rana. I think the really geeky geeks scare me a bit in real life :P

I really like the store, but honestly I just can't make myself buy much there. The markup is just too insane.

Regarding the plaster I just figured I might save some if I went direct to the supplier, guess you can source it from your dentist too though.

Please tell me you guys all have beards and wear wolf pelts when you leave the house. You can't say things like "Trondheim" without a beard and a wolf pelt.

My great-grandfather left there late in the 19th century, so I still call it "Trondhjem" unless I think about it, since that's the way my grandfather said it.. (Which probably won't mean much except to the Norse on the boards, but there you go.)

I have a beard and wear a Marmot when I leave the house; is that close enough? ^_^