For RC 2014.... A new friendly competition announcement!

xanderhook

Hey everyone!!! WHAT A CON!!!!!!!

First off i have to give kudos to the Reaper Miniatures Team for pulling together a great ReaperCon in the midst of the HUGELY successful Bones Kickstarter!! Being local to the company I can testify that every able body was involved from the volunteers helping sort out bones to the man who signs the checks.

And now for the meat of this post. As many people who attended this RC know, there wer a few firsts in the paint competition:

And I am sure i missed something else in there somewhere. The two items which i am going to discuss here involve the new DIorama category AND the group submission! When i first asked Anne if anyone had done a groupo project and was told no, i was a little surprised. So i took a small idea that i had, mentioned it to the Reaper Paint club folks and it took off into the 39 miniature monster that was presented at the show. It was incredibly fun and winning a bronze for it, as a team, was rewarding beyond belief.

So, after asking for permission and getting the go ahead, i hearby welcome all paint groups, clubs, gatherings, gaggles, hordes or whatever to join us next year for Paint Club submissions. Here are the rules and guidelines that we setup and followed, but we may tweak them a bit so please check back often:

1. We only used Reaper Miniatures
  2. Has to be based on the theme of that ReaperCon
  3. Theme for 2014 is Wild West, but remember, Steam-punk variations are always welcome!
  4. Try to keep the size under 12"(W) X 12"(L) X 16"(H) (we failed in this part because apparently i cannot measure well)
  5. *Up for debate* No professional painters were allowed to paint anything, advise only Rule Eliminated by popular demand!!
  6. Try to keep each persons involvement to no more than 30% of the work (for smaller paint groups, this will be revised as necessary)

I have not nailed down the prize for this yet. Perhaps a unique trophy which gets handed from paint group to paint group like the stanley trophy or something.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Anyone interested? Any additional ideas or Rules?

See you guys out there and PAINT ALL THE THINGS!!!!

Edited by xanderhook
  • Like 5

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. *Up for debate* No professional painters were allowed to paint anything, advise only

How are you defining "professional painter"? If someone accepts money to paint army figures for someone else? If they sell "pro painted" figures on ebay? Because there are a number of people who enter Reaper's contest (and win awards) who make money painting for other people or selling figures. Can they not enter this?

1. *Up for debate* No professional painters were allowed to paint anything, advise only

How are you defining "professional painter"? If someone accepts money to paint army figures for someone else? If they sell "pro painted" figures on ebay? Because there are a number of people who enter Reaper's contest (and win awards) who make money painting for other people or selling figures. Can they not enter this?

I was wondering the same thing. I paint stuff, and sell it, does that make me a "professional" even though I don't paint miniatures for a company that sells them... Then there are "professional painters" that sell their paintings in art galleries, and professional house painters..... lots of different kinds of "professional painters" out there. That needs to be narrowed down- a lot. And I think you're going to be doing the contest a disservice if you say that "anyone that paints miniatures and gets paid for it" are disqualified under the "professional painter" rule- because sometimes gamers just don't paint and they will have a buddy do it and will pay them for their time/trouble and they are far from the same caliber as say.... "Reaper's professional miniature painters".

I agree with Inarah's questions, and am wondering. I don't consider myself a professional painter as I have a profession and this is a hobby that doesn't support me in any way. But if someone paints figures and sells them, or does commissions they are supporting themselves in a way.

You might define professional painters as company staff painters, or those that support themselves only through painting. Subject to interpretation. If you are limiting the amount that any one person can do then I don't think you really have to worry about it.

• Like 1

You might define professional painters as company staff painters, or those that support themselves only through painting. Subject to interpretation. If you are limiting the amount that any one person can do then I don't think you really have to worry about it.

The way we defined it was exactly that Heisler. When we worked on it at Reaper Paint Club on Saturdays, we would ask questions to Anne Forester and Martin Jones, but never actually had them paint anything.

I was wondering the same thing. I paint stuff, and sell it, does that make me a "professional" even though I don't paint miniatures for a company that sells them... Then there are "professional painters" that sell their paintings in art galleries, and professional house painters..... lots of different kinds of "professional painters" out there. That needs to be narrowed down- a lot. And I think you're going to be doing the contest a disservice if you say that "anyone that paints miniatures and gets paid for it" are disqualified under the "professional painter" rule- because sometimes gamers just don't paint and they will have a buddy do it and will pay them for their time/trouble and they are far from the same caliber as say.... "Reaper's professional miniature painters".

I also paint items for commissions, but its not my job. This is one of the reasons i wanted to get this topic started ASAP so that we could discuss the guidelines and come up with a set of rules which everyone (or most everyone) could agree with. If it comes out that nobody cares who is involved, then we will just adhere to the limitation of the amount of work done per person.

The main thing we wanted to do was avoid a situation where two or three people each paint a rock, then a Golden Demon or Sophie winner does the rest.

Also, I think the theme has only been 'sorta implied' by the back of the 2013 program. One of the ReaperPeeps (LadyStorm I think?) mentioned on the forums here that the theme hadn't been announced, and the back of the program wasn't reeeealy the theme. Take from that what you will.

I was told by several Reaper Employees that the theme for next year is Western. I will verify that this week with ReaperBryan.

• Like 1