Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Crossroad shrine & hilltop well...(RPG game play terrain)...

post-11942-0-22550100-1366747978_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-57686100-1366747889_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-88780500-1366747792_thumb.jpg

This is a tabletop game play terrain piece in my (RPG) adventure game. It is a simply crossroads section that contains a small water well on top of a small hill, a roadside shrine/cross for the adventure characters and a fenced field section of crops. The piece is (16" x 12") constructed on ceiling tile base. The shrine contains a small coin pond to receive gold coin offerings from adventure characters in hopes of receiving a blessing.

• Like 3

Ok, so I've got a couple of questions. The overall tone of your environments (unless it's the lighting), is fairly bright and colourful, which is, in my (admittedly very limited) experience, unusual for fantasy RPGs. Is this an intentional stylistic choice, or a function of the materials available to you at the time? It feels as though it's meant to be friendly and calming, perhaps meant to lull your players into a false sense of security... but maybe I'm reading a little too much of myself into that interpretation. Secondly, the idea of using environments for D&D that aren't gridded scares the hell out of me. How do you manage movement on such a play surface?

• Like 1

Ok, so I've got a couple of questions. The overall tone of your environments (unless it's the lighting), is fairly bright and colourful, which is, in my (admittedly very limited) experience, unusual for fantasy RPGs. Is this an intentional stylistic choice, or a function of the materials available to you at the time? It feels as though it's meant to be friendly and calming, perhaps meant to lull your players into a false sense of security... but maybe I'm reading a little too much of myself into that interpretation. Secondly, the idea of using environments for D&D that aren't gridded scares the hell out of me. How do you manage movement on such a play surface?

The light coloring of most of my shire & playing pieces is completely intentional and is supposed to convey a feeling of tranquil, peaceful and placid surroundings...a warm fantasy day in a glade of beautiful trees & flowers with bees & butterflies...pale blue skies with soft puffy white clouds. This is the way I envision a fantasy land/kingdom being. I did not elect to use the dark sinister approach with dark ruins, harsh landscape with lava beds or other such themes. The movement aspect is very simple (both sides move in free direction in inches)...The group can standard walk at (6")...run at (9")...and "haul a**" at (12")....Ranged combat is also done in inches with clear (LOS). It is actually a very enjoyable, easy and fun way to play on a tabletop battleboard.

• Like 2

Secondly, the idea of using environments for D&D that aren't gridded scares the hell out of me. How do you manage movement on such a play surface?

I took my group off the grid about eight years ago. We played 3.5 then, and use Pathfinder now. We also have a longtime d20 CoC game going, using terrains instead of a grid.

It's actually quite, quite easy to eyeball distances, especially since most minis are based on 1-inch (25mm) bases in the first place. You just look at the size of the base in relation to movement. But if you are worried, then there are about a million templates, measuring tools and the like, made by just about every company in the gaming business, all available relatively cheaply. Or, you just get a cheap ruler or measuring tape from a hardware store. Any ruler with inches on it that you have in your house will do.

The grid is measured out in 1-inch squares. d20 has always assumed each inch to represent 5 feet. Easy as pie.

This is actually BETTER than using the grid, because any and all issues regarding diagonal movement and range that might be in whatever system you are playing, or that may be lingering in the minds of your players from systems they've used, are rendered moot. You are always making true measurements with a ruler. Nothing to memorize and no math to do.

In short, you SHOULD be fearing THE GRID. The grid is not your friend. It forces an artificial compartment around each mini and terrain that foils creative thought and verisimilitude. We are incredibly happy without it.

Come to the Light side, my friend. Embrace the gridless game. Come to the light... Come, there is nothing to fear.

• Like 2

Oh, and also, the terrain is awesome. Great place for an ambush!

Thanks for your comment of like. You are correct; my group did get ambushed at this very spot...they decided to take a rest break from a 5 hour march...a couple went to pay their homage at the cross...a few others went to the well to get drinking water and wash some road dust off...and a few even went over the fence into the field to gather some fresh fruits for eating...They got ambushed by a group of bandits who figured that the group had some coin in their pouches. The bandits came out on the short end of a short close-combat battle!

• Like 3

I've seriously been considering dropping "the grid" when I play, mostly to allow the use of non-standard bases (ie, Chronoscope or Warmahordes round bases) that don't quite fit in a 1" square. I think it'll work, and hearing others' tales of success is very comforting.

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 2

If that's your reasoning LK, I should point out that the crowding with those bases isn't that big a deal on the standard grids. We use them all the time, and it makes for a little bit of jostling, but it's not a problem, really.

• Like 1

If that's your reasoning LK, I should point out that the crowding with those bases isn't that big a deal on the standard grids. We use them all the time, and it makes for a little bit of jostling, but it's not a problem, really.

Depends on whom you're playing with. I've had players/DMs get snippy because that 30mm round overlaps the 1" square grid. =/
  • Like 1

In any case, D&D/Pathfinder came from wargames. Wargames where they measured with a ruler or tape measure and never used a grid. Millions of people are still playing wargames right now with no grid, using rulers and tape measures. It's been happening since wargames were first formalized by H.G. Wells, of all people.

The notion that it needs to be scary or cannot be done or has to be avoided is pretty silly. There's nothing to be worried about.

• Like 1

Pretty much anything can be converted from grid to tabletop. 1 square = 1". Some people might double area of effect sizes to compensate for the relatively low target density, maybe.

• Like 1