I tried to finish this one up around the time of the Pack Boar from the same company but wasn't able to get to it until now. Had a great color scheme planned out so I wanted to make sure I could come back to her.

Not quite sure why she's leaning so much, I might have bent her feet without knowing it.

Had fun painting the Khaki as well as the metals, I find painting metal anything buy grayscale to be much easier and I like how the more purple hue looks for it here, but this was a quicker paint job for me as I've got another trip this coming week so I had to make sure I could be done with her before that which means there's a few ugly areas that I'd do differently if I had the time (like the buttons\studs that just didn't turn out right).

Not sure why I've never really linked to it before but here's the WIP.

post-6838-0-58424900-1366765205_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

That... looks... huh. It's like it looks sort of simple from a distance, but zooming in, the blending, particularly of the greens, browns, off-whites, and whatever else you've got going on in her jacket, is INCREDIBLE. Very very subtle, and beautiful light effects!

• Like 1

you sure have a distinctive style ::): great work, but I wouldn't be myself if I didn't table some remarks :poke:

different pieces of olive clothing kinda blend together, it's hard to differentiate them. maybe a stronger darklining would help here.

also, I'm not the fan of purple shades at the arm/gun. Not even sure why.

• Like 1

you sure have a distinctive style ::): great work, but I wouldn't be myself if I didn't table some remarks :poke:

different pieces of olive clothing kinda blend together, it's hard to differentiate them. maybe a stronger darklining would help here.

also, I'm not the fan of purple shades at the arm/gun. Not even sure why.

I do like this method of painting. The past few really haven't allowed me to go back with what I'm most comfortable with coloring wise (base coat of something more neutral and then adding the color via other means) but I need to paint more then just what I enjoy the most.

I was trying to make the olives look different with only a limited pallet (have to try something new each time you know) but I didn't get it right. Going to be spending some more time this year trying to figure out how to make materials look different even when using similar colors.

As for the purple, I can see why some wouldn't like as there is something a bit odd about it-- that I happen to like--but at least I'm getting better at my metal highlights. I went that route as I needed something that I could get to look good with little work (which I can't do with grays) and would look good with the red and greens used though out the rest of the piece.

Edited by MonkeySloth

Good stuff! The limited palette looks nice. There is a lot of olive going on for the coat. Perhaps you could line the panels of the coat with another color to contrast it a bit more with the pants?

I agree with Sean; limited palette and you still made a piece that's pleasing to the eye and your brushwork is top notch. I have a feeling that in person the olive tones actually contrast one another better than what we see with the photo.

I will also suggest that MiniCannuck was onto something with the purple. The purple undertones are quite prominent and do tend to pull focus onto the goggles, gun and the left bracer; the pull is strong enough that every time I glance at the piece my eyes bounce from area to area and I have to fight them to look at the rest of the piece. Perhaps its my own love of purple. ^_^

I always enjoy your pieces! Keep 'em coming!!

@Adrift and Sean -- Ya the coat is more of a khaki with a slight green tint. Had a bit of trouble getting the color on this one at the right level. The main reason for not doing the coat and skirt like thing in more then just one color was time as I was considering adding some of the leather color throughout but had to scrap that idea to get her done before the cruse.

Also thanks all on the comments on the purple--have some things to consider for next time.