Sign in to follow this  
Enchantra

Hoping to paint again

OK so I haven't had a brush to a miniature since Reapercon 2008.

Sad eh?

So I'm hoping to get back into painting at some point here if I manage to get life to slow down a bit.

Any pointers for me if I dive back into this? I checked my paints the other days and most seem fine. None of my MSP's have dried out and it appears my ProPaints are fine...

Speaking of which, what the heck happened to the Pro Paint line? I went looking for it a bit ago and couldn't find it.

Hiya, welcome back.

Pro Paints appear to be gone. Not my area of expertise, sorry. It was approximately 1993 last time I painted a mini, until a few months ago, and I use artists acrylics same as always.

Others will be along soon. Buglips the Goblin is the go-to entity about miniatures paint information.

• Like 1

OK so I haven't had a brush to a miniature since Reapercon 2008.

Sad eh?

So I'm hoping to get back into painting at some point here if I manage to get life to slow down a bit.

Any pointers for me if I dive back into this? I checked my paints the other days and most seem fine. None of my MSP's have dried out and it appears my ProPaints are fine...

Speaking of which, what the heck happened to the Pro Paint line? I went looking for it a bit ago and couldn't find it.

They could no longer get the pots, and ended up cancelling the line. This happened sometime during my own hiatus from the miniatures hobby, between 2007 and September of 2012.

Welcome back, BTW. I'd say start with something simple, get used to your preferred techniques again - washing, drybrushing, layering, whatever suits you best - and then go from there. ::): You should pick up some Bones, they're tons of fun.

• Like 1

I look at all these post counts you folks have and wonder if I should add. Sure, why not. I got out of painting for a couple of years, and missed it desperately. When I got back started back up, I did some painting every day, but, no less than 30 minutes. When I got frustrated working on a figure, I painted a couple of pennies and dimes. Painted game piece meeples. Heck, a couple were just smiley faces, but, I got back to where I was comfortable again after a few weeks. I am no great painter, but, I thoroughly enjoy it, and that is how I got back in. Just give it a whirl.

• Like 7

I look at all these post counts you folks have and wonder if I should add. Sure, why not. I got out of painting for a couple of years, and missed it desperately. When I got back started back up, I did some painting every day, but, no less than 30 minutes. When I got frustrated working on a figure, I painted a couple of pennies and dimes. Painted game piece meeples. Heck, a couple were just smiley faces, but, I got back to where I was comfortable again after a few weeks. I am no great painter, but, I thoroughly enjoy it, and that is how I got back in. Just give it a whirl.

Don't look at post counts. Post counts are meaningless, they just tell you how often we post, and some, like myself, talk too much but don't always say anything useful. if you have something useful to add, which you did i might add, by all means share it.

Oh no, Enchantra, does that mean you missed out on the Bones Kickstarter? Well, enjoy the new Bones anyway. They are remarkable good, which surprised me a bit when I first saw them in person, though I'd heard so many people raving, it shouldn't have.

What I recall is that the paint bottles for Pro Paint could no longer be obtained or that they went up too much in price to be profitable, one of the two. The good news is they added the MSP HD line of paints to the original MSP Core line, and some of the Pro Paint colors transitioned over. Not so good if you prefer paint pots, though.

Now that Reaper has a plastic injection molding machine (paid for by the Kickstarter), couldn't they make their own bottles? Maybe someday when they get time for experimentation.

I have recently started painting again as well. I paint a little bit every day. But what is really motivates me is hosting painting nights for my buddies. I provide the paints and thanks to an early 2000s mageknight addiction i have an endless supply of practice minis for my friends and i to work with.

I did the same a few years ago. I had been away from the painting table for a few years.

My advice is, grab a regular sized mini that inspires you and knock it out quickly. Think of this as blowing the dust off before polishing the table. Sure you're probably not going to bust out the best you can with it, but it'll get your gears working again, and you can use it as a level set moving forward.

Welcome back, have a swig, the brush water is fine. :)