Sign in to follow this  
Enchantra

Hoping to paint again

No... lick brushes. Don't listen to the haters. LOL

Not a hater. Quite the opposite. Know what actually goes into acrylic paints and mediums and actual legal definition of "non-toxic" and do not care to see uninformed people put such things anywhere near their mouths.

• Like 1

My post count is due to insomnia and the fact i've been posting here for close to a decade. Close, from the other side. As in, eleven years.

I had slightly over 100 posts when I found the Kickstarter last August around the 5th - 8th.

Yeah.

I just can't shut up. I actually make an effort to restrain myself.

• Like 5

Not a hater. Quite the opposite. Know what actually goes into acrylic paints and mediums and actual legal definition of "non-toxic" and do not care to see uninformed people put such things anywhere near their mouths.

Informed people is a totally different matter. So go ahead, chipchuck, lick the brush. It might be hilarious.

I just can't shut up. I actually make an effort to restrain myself.

I make no such efforts. I just trust my work to pull me away from the internet before people get sick of hearing from me. Days or weeks of frequent posting alternating with weeks or months of silence... it averages out. ::D:

Life is is a fatal STD.

Everything is toxic.

My love of Hamburgers will most likely kill me before brush licking, and only if my love of beer doesn't do it first.

The list of things trying to kill me is long, and that list of assassins is so distinguished that brush licking would merely be a fluke.

• Like 1

While I mostly agree with psyberwolfe, if you use any of the seriously toxic paint products (cadmium, lead white, many organic solvents, whatever), it's a very bad idea to get into the habit of licking your brush. (To be fair, organic solvents tend to cure the issue pretty quickly; they're pretty nasty).

• Like 2

To be fair my oil/enamel brushes and ones used with nasty chemicals don't get licked. Also brush licking is a self curing problem because you will eventually stick a brush in your mouth doused in nastiness at which point you will be reticent to lick a brush for some time.

Probably like eating too many artificially sweetened lollies its a self correcting issue....

Thanks guys! No I don't lick brushes, never did in the first place when I was painting religiously every weekend...

A whole bunch of stuff has contributed to me not painting in years - working two jobs (Now thankfully down to one that pays better), family health issues, Family mental health issues, Volunteering at a local museum tending the gardens, becomming a Cornell Cooperative Extension Master Gardener, working on my jewelry business...The list goes on. If it sucks time up I've probably done it in the past few years..

I have plenty of minis and pieces from the boneyard to attempt painting. One of the first goals is to finish several pieces I started - like a large ceramic Santa I was making for Mom in the Eastern European tradition. I have it like 80% complete and that's where I stopped on it some five years ago. When I finally get the dang thing done I'll post pics. The same goes for the snowman and santa ornaments I was doing for my folks that I got almost finished and then stopped. Notice a pattern here? I tend to start a project and then for whatever reason despite my best intentions I can't get it finished. Beading projects I finish with no problem as atested by the fact I've placed now in two Fire Mountain Gems contests. Which of course if you ever need ornate over-the-top beaded jewelry, just let me know.

Hrmmm That gives me a thought balloon - what if I paint a mini to use it in my jewelry??? Of course if I want to use the mini en cabochon I'm going to have to saw it in half lengthwise depending on the mini of course, some wouldn't require such treatment...

Wow, those Fire Mountain Gem contests have a high quality threshhold. Well done.

It sounds like you have been extremely busy.

Wow, those Fire Mountain Gem contests have a high quality threshhold. Well done.

It sounds like you have been extremely busy.

Thanks!

Busy would be an understatement.

I'm finally now a few months after going down to one job getting a chance to get back to checking forums and getitng things DONE that I've needed to do for ages now.

In fact I'm about to do something that I never would have had time for before either - going to the store and buying stuff to go plant herbs for the kitchen etc. I love my veggies and herbs. Heirloom tomatoes rock!

As for the contests. The first time I placed in one I sat at my computer staring at my screen in shock for about five minutes as it slowly sank in because I just didn't believe my work to be good enough for it. Then as everything sank in I started screaming - literally! Which set off a chain reaction with the family as they came running to make sure I was OK and hadn't just impaled myself on a pile of beading needles or something similar...I then just busted out crying and pointed at my screen to show them why I was a ball of emotion...I was at a loss for words so pointing was all I could do. So far I hold Grand Prize Silver Medal for the 2011 Gemstones category, and Silver medal for the 2012 Wire working, metal clay category. I have a deadline at the end of May to meet for the 2013 Seedbeads category. I'm currently waiting on word if I made it to semi finals for the 2013 Wire category again...

Yup, quite busy.

But I need to paint, the itch is there...

Once I get the gardens in and the current contest entries done and submitted I can relax and hit some paint.

• Like 2

Congratulations. My cousins ex-wife was into the jewlery making thing in a big way, so I got a small taste of just what all of that means. Best of luck with that. Now, onto the more important topic. Food. What sort of herbs are you planitng? The Scarborough faire set? (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and thyme for the 'uneducated')

Been licking brushes for 15+ years.

Also played with mercury in school and bit lead fishing weights around my fishing line.

How am I still here? (mucho sarcasmo mode on) LOL

Chip...you list all that then have Resident Goof-Ball as a tag :huh: I think that falls under irony! :lol:

Enchantra Welcome back to the hobby, the one thing I will warn you of after being away for a while is the quality of miniatures has improved a great deal, so you may want to start with some newer ones to see what is out there now. I frustrated myself for awhile trying to work on older minis and was amazed at how much better the casting and detail where on a newer set.

JonJai