Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So. At the start of Reapercon live 2020, my hobby room was a semi organized space, that wasn't really planned out. I also had not taught online so I had to create an area to do that. This meant shuffling things around to clear up space for a PC, cameras, class supplies etc. Post Reapercon I was left with a huge mess, as more shuffling occurred to not only teach, but to take a few courses. Here are a few shots of my space on the last day of Reapercon...
So... one of my sons had moved out in mid 2019... he had left his room like this. I called it his long term storage
Thus began a journey to make a space that would be better suited for painting, sculpting, teaching and storing the hoard that is my backlog. First few days were just getting his stuff out and repainting the room.
Then, my wife helped me with refinishing the floor
Then Saturday, I started moving every thing up to the new space...
Lots of stuff
I notice both Army Painter and Vallejo are selling sets of paints with bottles about half the size of their normal paints. (Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments and Whiz kids Preminum Paints)
I generally like that approach.
It provides an opportunity to get a variety of paint colors at a lower price. Vallejo Whiz kids sets consist of 40 paints in a plastic case for about $70. I know that there are many colors I like to have handy although I don't use them a lot so a 8 ml bottle would be more than enough. And, if I use some of the colors a lot, I can get a regular size bottle when the small bottle is gone.
The Va!!ejo sets consists of Game Color but the AP sets consists not only of repackaged Warpaints but several unique colors that I believe are only available as part of the set so it really is not practical to replace those colors when the small bottle is gone.
But, alas, as much as I like the packaging idea, the paints are Gsme Color which I don't at all and Warpaintt which I don't like as well as Reaper or Citadel. Still I am hoping the idea catches on.
So the Carrion Worm is next up on my table. I would like to approximate the way it is painted in the picture but it doesn't have to be exact. Can anyone give me some advice on how to achieve the effects in the picture. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. #Help_A_Noob
Here is my journey making my first water base. I'm not quite done yet, as I still have some work to do on the Satyr, but I'm so close to finishing. This was a huge experiment for me, but I'm planning to do it again. I'd like to enter a water piece into ReaperCon this year, and I think this was good progress on the way to doing just that.
I would love your feedback if you have any.
Photo 1 - I started with some foam board (first time using that too!!) and glued it together. I used regular old Elmer's glue for this.
Photo 2 - I started carving out the foam board and playing with where I wanted the main rock to be.
Photo 3 - I used some Vallejo Plastic Putty to smooth out the sides of the base. Neat stuff. Was recommended on another forum.
Photo 4 - I started to use some Milliput to seal in the foam in preparation for adding "water"
Photo 5 - I used Milliput and some cork to make "rocks"
Photo 6 - I decided I didn't really like the cork rocks at all and sculpted them to look like slate instead. I also started sculpting some river stones for the basin.
Photo 7 - More river stones, and placed the satyr to make sure it would work.
Photo 8 - Priming and zenithal light.
Photo 9 - Finally adding some color.
Photo 10 - Flocking and some plants added. I made the vine out of wire and paper. The "fern" was from a laser cut set of leaves I had. I'm not really happy with the fern looking thing. I've crushed it more than once now while painting, but it will have to do for now. Would love some feedback if you have any.
Photo 11 - I taped it and held my breath and add two part clear epoxy. IT LEAKED EVERYWHERE! It was terrible. I added more tape and stemmed the flow, but it was pretty bad. First time for water... I expected this to happen deep down inside lol.
Photos 12, 13, and 14 - I started adding scenic fibres to simulate the waterfall. I also used some water effects called Making Waves to "glue" it in place.
Photo 15 - I added another round of two part clear epoxy to make the water deeper and to fix some of the mistakes I made with the water effects and fibres.
Photo 16 - I used some micro sanders to bring the front of the water to a shine. I also added some more water effect to show some flow in the water. I also started painting the Satyr and playing with colors.
Photo 17 - I used some pure white paint to show water activity a bit more. I also did more work on the Satyr and glued him in place. I didn't pin him, and probably should have, but he's holding so far.
Who's Online 7 Members, 2 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)