Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Rob Dean
This hasn’t been a particularly good month for painting. I had a week off back on the 9th, but, as shown here, my desk had gotten too cluttered to actually get much painting done. I’m also off this week, and decided that I would try just putting one task on the desk at a time, to see if that would help. My son has been diligently working on his Bronze Age DBA armies, so I decided that I would finally get started on the last stand of figures I needed to finish my 2nd DBA army. (DBA : De Bellis Antiquitatis, a popular set of ancient wargames rules for small figure collections to be played on a small table.) Earlier this year, I had managed to get all of my 13th C BCE Libyan infantry done, to match against my New Kingdom Egyptians, but I still needed a “chariot general” base.
Son and I have been working this project intermittantly for about fifteen years, and we have a deep stash of Caesar Miniatures 1/72 scale plastic figures. There is no “official” Libyan chariot, so I cobbled one together using an Egyptian chariot body, horses from a different (Mitanni) chariot set, and a Libyan commander pose. He’s a little too wide to be able to fit a driver in as well, so, artistic rendering...
We used to mount our chariots on a 40mm wide by 60mm deep base, but the DBA rules call for 60mm by 80mm. The single chariot looks a little lonely, and there isn’t room for a pair of them, so he and I agreed that we would generally mount a couple of “chariot runners” with each vehicle.
Most of my Libyans are done with cloaks painted to represent hairy hides from spotted cows, in keeping with the modern painting guide depictions. However, searching around for actual contemporary Egyptian depictions of Libyans came up with this (I’ve cropped a single figure out of a group of four):
I did my best to replicate the alternating rows of “eyes” and “arrows” on the general’s cloak, and echoed the pattern on the chariot body decorations because “why not?”. At least any historical nit-pickers are likely to have seen the same picture...
Here’s the completed “army”. With the Egyptians, I can at least stage a remote game without using proxy figures, although we are starting to look forward to getting together for an actual games day sometime again (probably still six months off...). Maybe my next army, the Nubians, will be ready by then as well.
Here is the last model in the force to be painted before break starts: the boar chariot. I believe I will make my deadline!
I had a bunch of new figures arrive the other day. I am trying to decide which set to paint up first. Any thoughts?
Here are the new fishmen, a mind flayer, and an evil cleric of the sea:
I'd like to paint up this guy to be a green and/or bronze dragon:
A storm and a cloud giant:
Two more dancing girls:
A marid and a hippocampus chariot:
So, which one first?
So. I've had this thing since the mid-80s, and was always afraid (tee-hee) to do anything with it.
However, with time (and inspired by Buglips' work on Ral, Lord of Balrogs), I have decided to ignore that fact that I have school and clinicals and take a swing at this silly thing.
Silly, says I?
Just look at it! It's a chariot made from a Balrog, pulled by two other Balrogs ("Yo, dawg, I hear you like Balrogs...") and a teeeny little guy perched on the back, desperately trying to pretend like he belongs there. God, I just LOVE this thing!
Today, I cleaned off the parts and took inventory.
Yep, all there. The metal looks like it's going bad, but it's really quite sound. I can already see a few items that I'm going to have to do extra before I get paint on this thing. First off, the Black Prince is supposed to be holding one of those heads, but said heads are kind of out of scale to him, and look really bad when he has one. I'm not sure what else to give him yet - maybe a shield. Second; the Balrog's wings fit OK, but will need some greenstuff work. Last of all, the chariot Balrog tends to drag his chin on the ground if I put the model together as is. I'll just run a small pin from his chin to the ground for better support, which will take his weight off of that cute little front wheel (hey, Black Prince, you get that off a shopping cart?).
A little filing, pinning and gluing later -
Oops, missed some mold lines. Eh, I'll get them later. Only the high-five Balrog is glued to the base at this point, as he won't stand on his own.
I'm not too sure how regular I'll be with this WIP - this semester is absolutely brutal with added clinicals, so I may not be done for a looong time. Painting is a nice diversion and stress relief when I can do it, though. We'll see!
Just for fun, here are a couple photos of the insert that came with the model. Get your Polly-S paints ready! (I still have a bunch ;) )
Spoilered to reduce some of the hugeness.
Hi Folks, my Orc Heavy Chariot Kickstarter went live today. It includes 3 crew members and is drawn by two Giant Wolves. There are two additional
extra's available too. The Kickstarter Link is at the bottom of this posting. Thanks for the interest. ;) Andy T.
Orc Heavy Chariot Crew.
Wingnut' Orc Champion
Giant Wolves based on an original casting by myself.
Front of Chariot
Mushrooms, toadstools and fungi set (add on)
Snots (Micro Goblins) Add on.
Who's Online 26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)