Sign in to follow this  
somegeek

Desk Lighting?

Some flourescent lights have a flicker rate that may trigger head aches or cause your eyes to tire quickly. I've used an overhead shop light and only been able to work for an hour before eye fatigue set in, from flicker rate.

I suggest a light that doesn't have a flicker rate.

From my own experience, skip the 'reveal' type 'full spectrum' bulbs and go with a natural sunlight bulb. The terms get mixed up a bit, but are different. A natural sunlight/daylight bulb will be marked with a color range. Find one that is in the 5500k to 6500k range. You can buy them off the shelf at Wal-Mart or most other stores.

Human eyes were developed for sunlight, not an artificial 'full spectrum.' Full spectrum bulbs may give a more mathematically 'pure' color, human eyes aren't going to see it that way. Our eyes, once again, were developed under sunlight, and sunlight is what our eyes register as 'neutral.' While using a full spectrum bulb may make certain colors 'pop' under the bulb, that really doesn't mean much, unless you always play with your miniatures under that type of bulb. If you take them into natural light (open windows) or non-full-spectrum lighting, the colors may look completely wrong. There is nothing you can do to completely eliminate this effect, as a yellow bulb will always mess up your blues, but working with the paints under natural wavelengths of light will minimize it.

Some flourescent lights have a flicker rate that may trigger head aches or cause your eyes to tire quickly. I've used an overhead shop light and only been able to work for an hour before eye fatigue set in, from flicker rate.

I suggest a light that doesn't have a flicker rate.

CFL lights are much better at this. Older fluorescent lights have this problem more often. I have the headache problem too but can work for 12=hours with my lights and have zero problems.

From my own experience, skip the 'reveal' type 'full spectrum' bulbs and go with a natural sunlight bulb. The terms get mixed up a bit, but are different. A natural sunlight/daylight bulb will be marked with a color range. Find one that is in the 5500k to 6500k range. You can buy them off the shelf at Wal-Mart or most other stores.

Do not buy bulbs unless you can get the light temp. 6500K is too blue. 5000K is getting yellow. 5400K-5600K is fairly neutral and will look about right. Wal-Mart and most big box stores do not sell bulbs by light temp. Natural, Full-Spectrum, and Daylight are meaningless terms when it comes to light sources.

Do not buy bulbs unless you can get the light temp. 6500K is too blue. 5000K is getting yellow. 5400K-5600K is fairly neutral and will look about right. Wal-Mart and most big box stores do not sell bulbs by light temp. Natural, Full-Spectrum, and Daylight are meaningless terms when it comes to light sources.

Wal-Mart may not sort them by color temp, but they stock many, many bulbs that list it - same difference.

I use 2 overhead desk lamps with strips of little LED globes. I cannot stand lamps that are overly yellow, they throw off the colour of the paints when I'm working at night. The lights are fairly cheap too, never invested in very expensive ones.

• Like 1

I have a natural light lamp (the things that have the 4 small florescent lights) as they don't heat up and cause my paint to dry faster then it should and for the reasons Cassu mentioned. I use LEDs for when taking photos as it's a white light and they're pretty cheap now.

• Like 1

When I finally get around to actually setting up a permanent painting space, I'm planning on getting two swing-arm desk lamps and I was thinking of fitting them with the Philips 42022-4 LED bulb, aka the L-Prize bulb, because of their Color Rendering Index(basically color accuracy %) of 92. But then I learned that, since the bulbs are only 2700K for their color temperature, they use an adjusted CRI scale rather than being pitted against daylight, which is what bulbs with a color temperature of 5000K+ have to go up against. So the scale is weighted and it takes away from the worth of that measurement for anything below 5000K. Or at least that's how I understand it to be.

So now I guess I'm just going to have to find a nice set of fluorescent bulbs to use.

Go grab a couple of these. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20370383/

Big, cheap, very adjustable, and clamp to the edge of your desk, rather than taking up space. They're great.

Nice - how deep is the hood on those? Those fit the bill nicely at $9.

Looking at using these bulbs:

31lQtQQ-zhL.jpg

Well, here's a pic of mine set up: post-8809-0-55501900-1367031466_thumb.jpg

There's a standard coil CFL in there, much like the one you've linked. Hope that helps.

Yeah, the picture above has my ottlite off to the left too.. the one with the magnifiers on it. It's pretty handy, but in retrospect, I should've just got 2 of the ikea lamp and a decent magnifying visor or something. I don't use the magnifiers really anyway...

Edited by Baugi