Buglips the Birdman

Animals seen in our "backyard" (36 acres) include possums, armadillos, racoons, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, coyotes, foxes (red and grey) and a bear. That's not counting the tons of birds (red-tailed hawk and bard owl being my favorites).

Oh, and the beavers are back building a dam and filling the beaver pond again; this has caused the otters to return. I love otters. :)

-Dave

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deer, skunk, chipmunks, grey and red squirrels, raccoon, rabbit, woodchuck, red fox, feral cats, turkeys, mallards, field mice and then the huge variety of birds from cardinals and various sparrows to humming birds and a few kinds of woodpeckers (I recognize the pileated but we have another smaller one, too).

And I live in the city. My property backs onto a small patch of woods that is one road over from several miles of woodlands, so they wander in. Most of the critters are regulars, though. Our local skunks have an albino trait, which is really cool.

• Like 1

Hmmm you do know in New Zealand possums are actually noxious pests.... if you want you can easily get possum skin boots... and from experience I can say that they make great fertiliser (shocked people when I moved back to Oz and mentioned that, they are a protected animal here).... and that their fur when blended with either merino wool or silk makes great socks....

It's cool that folks actually make use of the product of dead invasive critters. Most of them here just get thrown away, which is a terrible waste. If you're going to go to the trouble of killing something you may as well make use of all its bits. I mean, it's not the possums' fault they're an invasive species. Some idiot human brought them over, and they're just doing what they do. If we're going to kill the critters, we ought to at least do them the honor of making them useful.

I build arrows using crow wing primaries, does that count?

I love crows. They are so funny and smart. I used to work at a wildlife rehabilitation center and they had one that was a permanent resident. If you didn't say hello to him as soon as you walked in he would turn his back to you the rest of the day. You could bribe him to talk to you again if you gave him grapes or meal worms. He was so much fun.

About a year ago I was at a local health food store with my kids and we spotted a crow using a discarded paper cup to help transport some twigs it found. It would put it's treasures in the cup, then hop with it a few times, add something else, hop to the next thing, add it, etc. It got it to the base of a tree where it had apparently decided to set up house. It would pull something out of the cup, fly up, come back for the next thing, fly up, come back until the cup was empty. At that point we went in and did our shopping. When we came back out it had the cup in the parking lot, gathering more treasures. Funniest & strangest thing I've ever seen. The kids still look for the bird when we go over to that store.

Every time I see a murder I have a good day or something positive happens.

• Like 3

I love crows. They are so funny and smart. I used to work at a wildlife rehabilitation center and they had one that was a permanent resident. If you didn't say hello to him as soon as you walked in he would turn his back to you the rest of the day. You could bribe him to talk to you again if you gave him grapes or meal worms. He was so much fun.

About a year ago I was at a local health food store with my kids and we spotted a crow using a discarded paper cup to help transport some twigs it found. It would put it's treasures in the cup, then hop with it a few times, add something else, hop to the next thing, add it, etc. It got it to the base of a tree where it had apparently decided to set up house. It would pull something out of the cup, fly up, come back for the next thing, fly up, come back until the cup was empty. At that point we went in and did our shopping. When we came back out it had the cup in the parking lot, gathering more treasures. Funniest & strangest thing I've ever seen. The kids still look for the bird when we go over to that store.

Every time I see a murder I have a good day or something positive happens.

If one were to walk in on the end of that conversation. There be some questions.

One of my summer projects was to set up a pond. I spend a few hours each day for a week getting everything all set up. I bought some goldfish to help build up the bacteria in the pond. And the next morning, they had been eaten by a raccoon -_-. I tried again with extra precaution, but the racoon got in again. It just changed my mind. My red ear slider would just have to stay as an indoor pet.

I really love the hummingbirds that come to my backyard. They build nests in the weirdest places though. One hummingbird built her nest on top of my wind chime. :)