Buglips the Birdman

Last year a family of American bald eagles nested inside the Chicago city limits. This year there's a pair outside the city limits but within Cook County, but I don't know if it's the same pair.

I'm putting this here instead of the all-tangents thread because ironically it's not off-topic, here nor there.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Olympia there's a hawk that's been nesting on one of the giant cranes at the port for the last few years, and whenever she has babies some lucky guys get to go up there and tag them. Well, this year she was quite annoyed about it, and the guys who went up to tag her chicks got clawed and pecked quite well. Of course our paper ran an article on it. The tone of the article was scoldy towards mama hawk for her determined defense of her babies.

About a week later the editorial page had it's "Cheers & jeers" and gave mama hawk a hearty Cheer for good parenting. After all, these guys come up year after year to harass her babies, she doesn't know why they're doing it, she just knows they're a threat. Though, kudos to the biologists for taking the pecking rather than trying to tranquilize her or net her, which could have hurt her badly.

I love having hawks in the city ::):

Last year a family of American bald eagles nested inside the Chicago city limits. This year there's a pair outside the city limits but within Cook County, but I don't know if it's the same pair.

I'm putting this here instead of the all-tangents thread because ironically it's not off-topic, here nor there.

chances are very good it is the same pair. Eagles tend to return year after year to the same place, often using the same nests (which get to be huge after a few years)

Our apartment complex is the stomping grounds of a fairly small murder of crows during the spring/summer. I hate those birds with a passion. Especially since some of them think the idea of a good time is perching right above our bedroom window at 5am and yelling their morning news at the ones in the trees. Consequently, we don't get any cute little chirpers around our immediate area :down: though I can hear the occasional sparrow in the neighborhood nearby.

This year, a crow with an exceptionally bad voice moved in. I never thought I'd think the normal crows sounded melodious, but I do now. And it always sounds like it's being harassed or something, because it caws more than typical crows. All the time. :grr:

On a happier note, my parents live in the beautiful Portland, Oregon area, where there's a species of hummingbird that winters there. My dad turned into a big marshmallow around these little beauties, and put up three feeders in nice places around the house, complete with small lamps to turn on when it's super cold. It's so cute to see them all fluffy sitting next to the lamps. ^_^

There's one that's claimed a neat, twisty tree with a bazillion tiny branches as his territory, and will chew my dad out when he goes out to check the feeders in the morning, and will often dive bomb his head. It's pretty hilarious.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

There's a lot of different birds in our area as our house backs onto woodland. We regularly have crows who are basically gangsters, they'll regularly get into noisy scraps with one another and happily beat up a pigeon if one irritates them but they are the first to confront any predatory birds that come into the area.

The magpies will usually get in on a fight as well but normally just on the less dangerous birds like the woodpecker that had been raiding nests.

There's a House Martin nest right outside my bedroom window, they are currently feeding young which can be such a "joy" in a morning.

We quite regularly have partridges wander into the area in pairs from off the fields, they are so funny when they run about but they get up onto the roof and start scratching about, very confusing the first time as it sound like something was in the attic. Also the noise they make is less than tuneful, first time I heard it I thought my laptops harddrive was grinding itself to death, took a moment to realise the sound was coming from outside and what it was.

We've had a buzzard down into the garden a few times, quite odd to see one perched on an arbour arch.

For the last couple of years we've had numerous ducks during mating season who will stare at you through the window until you go and feed them.

• Like 1

We have a doe that's been dropping her triplets off in my backyard during the day. Three little spotted fawn just hanging out napping all day. A couple other really skinny deer make their way through, I've got a lot of clover and I let the strawberries and blackberries grow in pretty good.

Also one of the little foxes has moved in, too.

And another generation of skunk. I miss the big white skunk we had a couple years ago, I know at least on of the kids was also white.

Ducks are regulars, we have an old wood creek that runs through town from revolutionary times. Hundreds of big fat ducks strewn through the neighborhood, especially during mating season. And the park a block over gets the canadian geese on their migration.

• Like 3

Complete with honeycrisp apple trees...surrounded by 7' high fencing...those are for daddy only.

Only 7' high? And you think that's going to keep the deer out? Hahahahaha!

Oh wait, you're serious. Allow me to laugh even harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I've seen whitetails easily jump a 10' fence around my grandparents' garden before.

• Like 2

Yes, it's too narrow for them to jump into at that height. As evidenced by them scoping it out for the last couple years :)

Once I get around to tilling in a garden, I'll use a double fence setup with a low voltage perimeter wire. A family friend who lives deep in bear country in the Adirondacks showed me how to set it up properly.

My wrens (I've had a pair of house wrens come to the same locations for over fifteen years now; I've changed the house three times) just finished the fledged the first brood of the season. I've been seeing 5 little wrens following Dad around my property foraging for insects. The babies fly pretty good, but their tails aren't fully in yet and look rather comical. Dad gets mad at me whenever I am in the garden now and sits above my head aggressively singing at me. I haven't seen the female much, but she is probably in the house working on clutch number two.

• Like 2

Well, at least one thing built a nest. I just obliterated a hornet nest on the patio. Awfully late start, though. It was a little one, with only the queen and some unhatched larvae. I used the foaming raid stuff, stuck the red tubule in through the opening, and fwoof! Like popping a balloon.