Buglips the Birdman

Wish I had snapped a pic of the honkin' garter snake I saw in the yard yesterday. On the upper end of what I used to see growing up when I was mowing the back 40 (meadow for you city folk), but for the city it was pretty remarkable. Had to be almost 4' long and the diameter slightly larger than a golf ball.

Then an hour later I found the nest under a tarp where I had some crazy-grained splits of wood stashed. A couple smaller (2'-3') snakes and a skin I have to remember to pull out of there.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a nest of the aforementioned noisy miners in a tree in our front yard.

I'm hoping they grow up fast because the landlord (we're renting) has plans to have the tree chopped down in the near future.

On a lighter note I thought I'd talk about green catbirds. They like lush foresty areas and blend in extremely well, so I've only caught the occasional glimpse of them up in the canopy. The main place I've seen them is the Bunya Mountains, which I'm convinced is one of the most beautiful places on Earth (granted, I haven't been out of my state let alone country but still...). Up there they have an info sign which talks about the green catbird and the fact that it sounds like a baby crying. Despite having read this, I still managed to turn to my girlfriend when we went walking and say "I really wish people wouldn't bring their babies on walks like this, it scares away the wildlife" I eventually realised my mistake when we didn't come across any parents with children and I suddenly recalled what I'd previously read. It was really quite uncanny just how convincing it was.

I still wish people wouldn't take kids on bushwalking trails if they can't behave (or more likely if the parent makes no effort to have them behave) I also extend that request to adults who are unable to adjust THE VOLUME OF THEIR VOICE and when ever I see someone smoking on a trail in a national park I strongly resist the urge to confront them about it in a manner that I'm sure will lead to one of us being thrown off an escarpment.

• Like 1

Please don't tell me you killed the snake. Had it been a rattlesnake or a copperhead or something, I could understand because hey, that's something that could potentially be deadly*. But garter snakes are so harmless. People just freak out when they see them and go nuts and grab the nearest shovel/hoe/shotgun and go to town on them.

*I usually won't kill copperheads(American ones) either, because they're so low on the danger scale that they barely even rate. They're well known for dry bites, and even if they do inject venom it's extremely mild comparatively and easily treated. Rattlesnakes depend on where I find them, but they tend to get dead if they're in my yard and not in the woods.

Why would I kill a snake? I just shooed him into the woods so I didn't hit him with the mower.

And I amused my fiancee by scattering some of last winter's feed into the yard to draw out some varmints for the hawks to eat :)

Edited by CashWiley

My wife just rescued a little guy today. A friend of hers found it in the road, so SWMBO picked it up fed so worm chunks and found a rescue worker to take him/her in. It doesn't look full grown and the tail/butt is yellow.

1236277_10202118384067225_984305172_n.jp

Any idea what it is? We've got lots of yellow finches but it seems too big to be one of those.

Oh and for those who don't know I'm in CT so it should be a New England bird.

• Like 1