Kickstarter paint sets

Hex

Oiled Leather is a far more versatile colour than you might think. Obviously it's good for leather, but it's also good for creating different skin colours, as a shadow for blonde hair or in highlights for brown hair and fur. So as your painting develops you will find you use it quite a lot, more than its name suggests (which is still on nearly every fantasy miniature ;)).

Which is the thing. The duplicate colours are all very useful colours so if you are buying multiple kits don't worry about the duplication.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One last thing to consider if you are still on the fence about buying one or more LTPKs. They have excellent guides with them, something that doesn't get mentioned as much around here because of the skill level of the forum regulars. But if you are a beginning painter, they are a wonderful resource. The LTPKs are very well written with step by step instructions and photos, and suggestions on advancing your skill.

Yeah, if you're looking at them because you've never painted and don't have any paints, not only are you getting a steal on the paints, but those guides are wonderful. After going through LTPK1, I've painted up three of my Bones so far, and my results have been enormously, vastly, hugely better than they would have been without doing that kit. I've actually ordered the other four kits for the instruction more than anything else.

• Like 2

Well, for two of the paint sets you can just buy the individual bottles yourself, since they're already existing colors. For the other two paint sets, you've got to wait until after all the Kickstarter orders have shipped out before they'll be made available in the store.

If you're wondering if Reaper intends to sell the paints as pre-packaged kits similar to how they were presented in the Kickstarter itself, I don't know. I'd suggest just doing what I did - Buy the Learn to Paint Kits, which come with full bottles of every color despite the packaging and description saying otherwise, and then flesh out your paint collection from there. The LTPKs have a pretty decent selection of starting colors, especially if you buy all 5. My only complaint is that some colors get duplicated between kits, with Oiled and Ruddy Leather being in most of them. In my case, I just started filling in the missing colors from most of the paint triads that the LTPKs got me started into.

This thread was a big help in doing things the way I did - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46226-ltpk-organized-by-triad-and-miniatures-and-duplicates/?hl=%2Bltpk+%2Btriad

Thanks for the link. That is helpful. I might pick up one or two of the LTPK but I'm not a big fan of those little pots in the images. What do you mean they come with full bottles?

They don't come with the little pots as the pictures depict, they come with regular sized reaper paint bottles.

I have emailed them about changing that....gets asked a lot.

Here is all the L2PK so you can see for yourself

3Mz93pj.jpg

Wow...the main reason I never bought the LTPK is because I wanted the newer bottles.... If only I knew...

• Like 3

They really need to change the description then, since the description for each of the LTPK state which colors are samples and which are full bottles. I haven't picked any of them up because of that description.

That would be a good idea. I had read in the forums here that they were all full bottles of paint, but I was really worried until I finally got the paint kits. Every photo I found in online stores showed those paint sample pots. I'm sure they would be better sellers with some more clarity.

That's what ultimately lead me to buy from Reaper directly, it's always possible an Amazon vendor could send you one of the old style paint kits, since they sent you what was in the photo you wouldn't have much recourse if that was what arrived. But all the threads around here convinced me Reaper would make it right if I had a problem.

I was very happy when I opened the box with three kits and had 32 full bottles of paint.

>Hrm. That being said, it looks like 5 of the 10 colors in the LTPK 1 I've already got on the way in the paint kits I ordered with the kickstarter. Which makes it much less of a tempting deal. 3 of 11 for kit 2, so a somewhat better deal there. Hrm...

I wondered about that too, but the duplicates seem to be popular colours, so duplicates might come in handy at some point. Some duplication makes sense since they can't assume that a purchaser has bought any previous sets, the first kickstarter set and LTPK 1 are for beginners, they want to cover the basic mini painting shades. They do seem to have too many duplicates of some colours if you buy everything. I can't imagine ever using five bottles of Oiled Leather for instance, but that seems an outlier. Two pure blacks or three primers seems more reasonable.

One last thing to consider if you are still on the fence about buying one or more LTPKs. They have excellent guides with them, something that doesn't get mentioned as much around here because of the skill level of the forum regulars. But if you are a beginning painter, they are a wonderful resource. The LTPKs are very well written with step by step instructions and photos, and suggestions on advancing your skill.

You've convinced me. LTPK 1 and 2 ordered. :)

• Like 1

Mmmmm I do love the learn to paint kits.... and reapers great customer service!

I bought 3x my learn to paint kits from a third party online retailer. The paint arrived in the little pictured sample pots all dried out (cause it had been sitting in their inventory for ages).

Reaper replaced the nasty paint, even though it was a retailer issue, not a reaper issue.

• Like 3

The revised Bones Learn to Paint Kits will be coming out "soon", I'm guessing after the Bones KS shipments have been made. FRPGames has the first set for $20 on pre-order, less expensive than the Reaper site but FRPG's shipping is not free. Might as well pick up a Vallejo Air Model Silver and Winsor and Newton Size 1 Round while you're at it. Also see the Clearance section for some good discounts, and the mega sets for bases.

If you need a LTPK now, LTPK2: Beginning Skin and Cloth is the best "lesson for the buck" set. See my review on Amazon.

My main peccadillo with the LTPKs are the duplicate paints. After buying three kits, there's a good chance you'll have three duplicates of one or more paint colors. After 50+ speed-painted models, I haven't even gotten through 1/4 a dropper of QuickShade ink. As I understand it, Reaper is trying to reduce duplicates with the revised sets. OTOH, an "extra" dropper of paint may encourage you to experiment more with mixing colors, or just plain using them. I think only my Hey that's My Fish penguins and various space vehicles are the only miniatures that don't have Ruddy Leather on them...

Edited by ced1106

The revised Bones Learn to Paint Kits will be coming out "soon", I'm guessing after the Bones KS shipments have been made. FRPGames has the first set for $20 on pre-order, less expensive than the Reaper site but FRPG's shipping is not free. Might as well pick up a Vallejo Air Model Silver and Winsor and Newton Size 1 Round while you're at it. Also see the Clearance section for some good discounts, and the mega sets for bases.

Man, I used to think FRPGames had expensive shipping - but as you mentioned their discounts are pretty good, they have much better inventory management than the Warstore and a wider selection than MiniatureMarket. I live on Long Island (about an hour and half from the Warstore) and FRPGames shipments are typically here over a week before theWarstore.

I've a quick question about the KS Paint Sets:

Do I need to worry about storage in my basement workshop where it might get down to 55 Degrees (F) over winter?

Whenever these lucky minis finally make it to my doorstep I expect a lot of time with them for a good number of months.

Thanks.

As long as they don't freeze you should be ok.

Does anyone happen to have the product codes for the 24 new colours? I don't think I've seen them anywhere yet.

Have to add Big Top Red, Carnival Purple and Clockwork Brass to my database today anyway....

Had my paint kits picked up at Reapercon....

9271 Dirty Bone

9272 Graveyard Bone

9273 Splintered Bone

9274 Vampire Shadow

9275 Vampire Skin

9276 Vampire Highlight

9277 Spattered Crimson

9278 Gory Red

9279 Fresh Blood

9280 Nightmare Black

9281 Brains Pink

9282 Maggot White