Prophetic Minis (the teach me what I do wrong thread.)

prophetic_joe

First a disclaimer. I suck at painting these so they aren't really worthy of showing off.

This is my third mini ever. I can see by the pictures a lot of stuff I messed up on or didn't get quite smooth so be a bit gentle. These are by no means going to be showpiece minis they are made for my table top games and to be played with so I am not super patient or picky with them. That said I do want them to look nice so any critique is fine.

This post has lots of pics.

IMG_4906800x600_zps62ffcd50.jpg IMG_4907800x600_zps7abf7852.jpg IMG_4908800x600_zps2eaf31f1.jpg IMG_4911800x600_zpsf4e18c5f.jpg IMG_4912800x600_zpse4ae6fe3.jpg IMG_4913800x600_zps5b734917.jpg IMG_4915800x600_zpsf9a44344.jpg IMG_4917800x600_zps3bebda71.jpg IMG_4918800x600_zps6e2a32ad.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad at all for a 3rd mini.

The camera is a harsh mistress, but helpful.

I really suggest that you do a few WIPs (if you haven't already, forgot to check :) )

My suggestions to work on:

Focus on getting a nice base coat with complete coverage. Everything you do on top of that is dependent on the layer underneath.

When working with areas like the shield, if you can do the recesses first, it easier to do the raised part after without getting paint down in there, as opposed to trying to paint in the recesses without hitting the raised bits.

Looking good! I know the first few were just WIP shots, but I really like the white beard, and the way the flesh interacts with it. I think it'd be fun to experiment with that on some bones, leaving white unpainted. I doubt I'll ever have the control to pull that off and look good though.

A lot of good advice here from the regulars above!

I'd just add a couple of pointers.

1. Thin your paints down, using undiluted paint causes loss of detail and for brush marks to show. This is harder to do with the first coat of a Bones miniature but if you wash them properly it should be fine, once you've watered down your paint you'll have more control. An excellent tutorial from a very talented painter can be found here...

2. Your colour choices are excellent, the overall theme of your miniature is really good but you need a little bit more control over your brushes. I suspect you might be making do with inferior brushes, invest a bit in some decent Kolinsky Sable brushes, they don't have to be expensive but a size 0 and a size 1 will make your work much better.

Good luck and show us how you get on!

• Like 1

These are looking great. If you want to take it to the next level, you can do more shading and highlighting with darker/lighter shades, for example on the dwarf's beard. But I think they'd look good great on a game table just as you painted them.

Ok here is a new one I did for the DM it is my first attempt at black. There is a bit more shading then viewable in photo but it did get quite washed out with the clear coat and laquer. It is good table top quality though.

IMG_0784287x512_zpsef2969b7.jpgIMG_0786298x529_zps74da1312.jpg

Edited by prophetic_joe
  • Like 3

These are looking really nice for gaming pieces.I would suggest a bit of pre-mixed wash for selective shading, giving you the benefits of dip without the drawbacks. I have Army Painter Dark, Strong, and Soft INKS (Strong and Soft are browns, Dark is blackish) and find them very useful.

A bit of Soft tone on the dwarf's face, and Strong on the shield where shadows would fall from the gold onto the red, and thinned Dark or better yet a bit of thinned dark blue of some sort for where the gold would cast shadows on the blue. I would also put a quick stroke of Strong or Soft to give his mo' and bead-braids clearer shadows. (You might have good shadows there anyway, hard to tell from the photos since the details recess so far at those points). I'd give the rat's teeth some Soft along the gumline, then maybe wipe some of it off with a moistened but not wet brush if you find it too dark.

Using some sort of thinned dark, dark brown (like the "Inks" above) and just quickly inking in the shadows can help make black shadows look blended, or soften them just a bit. Worth a try to see if you like the effect.

That's just a few quick extras to bring out what you've already done; these are totally acceptable tabletop pieces from any skill level, and EXCELLENT for your first 3!

Ok here is a new one I did for the DM it is my first attempt at black.

The rule I've heard tossed around by people who know what they're talking about is that black should be around 50% black. Since it has no shadows, the mid tone is also black, just highlight it and leave most of it black, otherwise it reads as the color you highlight with.

I think the mini looks good, it just reads as grey. Could be your photo as well :)

• Like 1