Please spay and neuter your pets

Argentee

This is my first year doing trap-neuter-release with one of the local cat rescue societies. And its the middle of kitten season down here in Florida. I don't know if I'll be doing this again, I'm too soft hearted and I'm spending a lot of time crying.

Please spay or neuter your pets. It's easy to say that you'll never bred your pet or let them out, but it only takes a second's inattention for a cat to escape outdoors.

• Like 9

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ This!
Also people should get their cats microchipped, that way if they become lost and then found they can make their way back to you. My husband and I have two cats (female sisters) and although they're inside cats they're had all of their up-to-date vaccinations, been de-sexed and microchipped.

peanutpistachio.jpg

It's worth it for the ones you love. These are my kitties, Peanut and Pistachio.

• Like 3

Awww good for you! and the kitties!

I adopted a cat last December, even though I am totally allergic. She was abandoned by an apt dweller that had to move and was living under the stairs outside. A friend in the same complex took pics and I just had to! Went through the usual hoops of shots, grooming etc and it came time to spay her. Got a call that afternoon saying "um, we can't find a uterus." Poor thing had been spayed already. We all thought she was pregnant, but no... just fat!

• Like 1

If some cat lovers were less myopic, the feral cat problem could be helped a great deal. But unfortunately getting some cat owners to to fix their pets is nigh impossible and then they scream bloody murder when drastic measures become necessary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7475469/ns/health-pet_health/t/wisconsin-residents-back-hunting-feral-cats/

Edited by scorpio616

I know, right? And those parent people. Heck, grandparent people too. Bloody murder!

(Not entirely tongue-in-cheek, I totally agree with this thread. I feared for when the dogs got loose from the fence when they were at my brother's house more because of my mom going into the pet shelters to see if they got picked up and coming home depressed and upset over all the poor animals.)

Edited by klawzie

That's why I can't stand going to the shelter, I want to adopt every kitty there. My first cat was a stray I rescued who'd been hanging around my workplace. He was obviously a people cat, but he was so skinny and small it made me want to cry. I guess he'd been hanging around for a few months, I'd seen him once, but some loud people scared him away before I could get to him. Then one day my husband was working downstairs (we met at my workplace) and he heard a loud meowing. So I took the kitty home with me. Sadly, I only had him for about 10 months; while he was stray he must have eaten something that destroyed his liver. He was such a sweet little guy too.

My current kitty might have been abandoned if I hadn't taken her. Her former owners were going to get rid of her because they got a chiwawa* and she didn't care for the thing (can't say I blame her...). She's also a sweet kitty, even if her farts could be used as a WMD.

The point of the ramble: don't abandon your kitties, shelters are sad, cause kitties are sweet.

*My spellchecker suggests "chinaware" to fix this misspelling. Whatever :lol:

• Like 1

My two little fuzzballs were rehomed by me at the age of 8 (the cats were 8 that is).... It was sad for the previous owners... but I now have two very loving (and overweight - diet cat bickies anyone?) cats who firmly believe that the problem of too little attention can easily be solved by clawing ones way onto the lap of the offending party... and purring loudly. They also love sitting in front of me while i attempt to paint... and lets not talk about newspapers....

Edited by kay13
  • Like 2

That's why I can't stand going to the shelter, I want to adopt every kitty there. My first cat was a stray I rescued who'd been hanging around my workplace. He was obviously a people cat, but he was so skinny and small it made me want to cry. I guess he'd been hanging around for a few months, I'd seen him once, but some loud people scared him away before I could get to him. Then one day my husband was working downstairs (we met at my workplace) and he heard a loud meowing. So I took the kitty home with me. Sadly, I only had him for about 10 months; while he was stray he must have eaten something that destroyed his liver. He was such a sweet little guy too.

That's such a sad but sweet story. One of the cats we had before Peanut and Pistachio was a stray that was abandoned by its previous owner. (A woman who would constantly buy pets for her little kids and them ignore them when the kids got bored of them.) She died a few months ago from a brain tumor, the poor little thing. She was a runt but so sweet and affectionate.

We got Peanut and Pistachio at a place over here called The Cat Center. They adopt out kittens and adult cats - all de-sexed, wormed and microchipped. They also take in cats to find them new homes and host a cat boarding service, you can also go in and visit the cats there and they accept donations of money and food. It's such a wonderful place but hubby and I haven't been back since we adopted the two little ones, mostly because we know we'd come home with more cats and our current lease agreed only lets us have two.

The hubby and I have strong opinions on those who don't neuter their pets and places that 'breed' animals, mostly because we feel there are enough animals in the World with-out homes that we shouldn't be bringing more into the equation. Plus the ugly side of breeding specific show breeds of animals like bulldogs, who are physically unable to give birth to their own young due to the way they've been bred.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 1

I volunteered at the Houston SPCA for 19 years, starting out in Admissions. We dreaded kitten and puppy season. All too many people bringing in kittens and puppies with stories of "I never thought that she'd get out" or "we wanted our kids to experience the magic of birth".

People are funny about getting their animals fixed sometimes. So many myths persist. Then there are the guys that are afraid of being neutered by proxy. :rolleyes:

Ron

PS: Microchip *AND* collar with readable tag, even if they never go outside!

My cousin Kathy is fostering Rabbit, the first kitten I caught. Rabbit is a muted calico, in shades of grey, white, peach and cream. Unfortunately, my current cat Bella was Not Happy at a kitten being in the garage, and stopped eating. Kathy is a genius with feral kittens, and Rabbit is already climbing up in her lap for petting. A few more weeks, and she'll go to the cat rescue society for adoption. Assuming Kathy is willing to give her up.

• Like 1

While I don't agree with places that are basically puppy/kitten mills, I have no problem with people who raise a litter or two of a breed every few years. What I do take issue with is the strict standards for stuff like kennel club registrations and specifically breeding "show" animals. That kind of stuff leads to inbreeding and massive health issues. What matters more to me in terms of breeding is whether or not it's done responsibly. But at the same time I also wholeheartedly support the spaying/neutering of pets and their adoption from various places. A lot of times you can find what you're wanting at a shelter. Or at least you can find something close enough.

One thing I wholeheartedly support, which a lot of people seem to disagree vehemently about, is the need to put down some animals whether it be because of sickness or because they're just feral beyond saving. I hate people who try to make you feel bad for putting an animal down rather than spending a small fortune to extend its life. I had a German shepherd, who was a rescue, that got really sick once and stopped eating for over a week. We took her to our regular vet to see what was wrong and they had no clue. They wanted to do exploratory surgery, which would cost over $3000 and had no guaranteed results. We refused, and told them we'd just put her down instead. They refused to put her down, and then had the gall to tell us we weren't fit to own any pets if we weren't willing to spend that kind of money for them. We took her to another vet, who used to do house calls for my pap's farm, and he put her down and did a free autopsy. She had pancreatic cancer, and was going to die soon anyways because she couldn't digest anything. We've never been back to that first vet ever since. They ticked us off something fierce.

I've put down 4 animals in my lifetime. 3 dogs and a cat. Each one of them needed it. The aforementioned shepherd with cancer, one from old age(15 year old collie) and the muscle/organ failures that come with it, a 3-year old collie with a heart valve defect that caused his heart to enlarge so much it was crushing his lungs, and a rescued calico we'd had for 15 years that got her hind quarters crushed by a car. I don't need some self-righteous a-hole telling me that I'm a terrible pet owner because I put an animal out of its misery. Especially when I'm already in a bad mood because I had to put the animal down to begin with.

• Like 9

I know a woman who . . . oh, man . . . just . . . *raaagggge*

Anyway, she had a cat. Sweet, friendly female cat, named Patches. Calico. Didn't get her fixed.

Added another cat, female, also unfixed. Cat #2 gets aggressive with Cat #1 and takes over.

Then she added another cat, also unfixed, also female. Cat #3, in the presence of the other two unfixed ones, becomes even more aggressive. Poor cat #1 is now tortured relentlessly in her own home, and becomes timid and afraid.

Cats 2 and 3 escape, get into neighbour's house, spray all over laundry. Neighbour complains, landlord (she was renting the top portion of the house) says either cats go, or she's out.

Then she and her two daughters get all bawly and teary eyed that they have to give up the cats, especially Patches, because they "loved her so much".

Shut up. Shut up, shut up, shut up. You did not love that cat. If you had, you wouldn't have been an idiot and done what you did. You had a happy animal and made its life miserable because you are stupid. In a just world you'd be given to a shelter, not the cats.

Poor cats. I really feel bad for Patches. She paid all the price of idiot owners.

• Like 3

We have two cats, brother and sister, that we got together from the same litter. So we had an incentive to get them fixed because, as the girlfriend said, "no pre-teen incest babies".

It would have been nice to let the girl (Chimera) have a litter, because it does seem to mellow their personality a bit, but I'm perfectly happy with the little manic pixie dream girl that she is now.

And if anyone's wondering, she and her brother (Schrodinger) are half-birmans; she has calico points and he has grey-blue points. They are adorable, especially together, they are each other's best friend. :blush: