Please spay and neuter your pets

Argentee

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in the power of two for purely practical reasons... already have to clean the litter box with one cat, so what's another butt? Have to scoop poop for one mutt, why not two?

Applies to children as well, but I stopped at one.

People are funny about getting their animals fixed sometimes. So many myths persist. Then there are the guys that are afraid of being neutered by proxy. :rolleyes:

Fixing a cat does change it in my experience. Neutering is still the better option, but I'll leave by what degree open to debate by biologists. EDIT: not veterinarians due to vested interests.

Edited by scorpio616

So...if I adopt three (roommate is having me ask questions), they can chase each other? Or does two pick on one causing stress on the one?

It depends on the cats. Certain breeds do not take well to having more than one animal in the house unless they were raised with said animal (they also don't get on well with children). But many breeds, and mixed breeds, get on fine with multiple animals and children. It really just depends on the cats' personalities.

For example: My husband's cat, Falazure (yes, named for a dragon god), is the old fat cat of the house. He got on fine with Morgoth (my rescue cat), they cuddled a lot. But there was a kitten that we looked after for a couple months that Falazure could not stand, mostly cause it would always run up and attack him. After the kitten left Falazure relaxed so much, it surprised me how tense he'd become (I didn't notice because that was around the same time Morgoth got really sick and died). My current cat, Kassandra (aka, Lady McSkinkyButt) gets on well with him, they cuddle, groom each other... and attack each other. But they're totally relaxed around each other.

It just depends.

I have known cats who have no tolerance for any others in their territory. I have known happy clowders of five. If you want multiple cats it is easier if you get them that way. Many rescue societies have kitty families that they would love to find a home for together.

Zero would be the correct number of cats. Dogs however? Up to three depending on the dogs.

ptth, Cats are fun. they're stupid, but think they're smart. Plus they fit better in apartments.

There's no such thing as a small dog, there's puppies, real dogs, and purse "dogs" (aka, snake food). If you don't have a yard, don't get a dog.

• Like 6

Of my cats, Rocky gets along with everyone. I fostered a kitten for a few days. He absolutely adored that kitten. Groomed it, played with it, cuddled it. His sister, though? She hissed at it, would follow it around, and generally make it known that she Did Not Approve. They have pretty much the same responses to any cat (or dog, for that matter). Rocky just wants to be friends with everyone. Jessie doesn't like anyone but her brother. They're from the same litter, so yeah, it depends on the cat.

Of course, when it comes to humans, they're both extremely friendly. They come running up everytime a stranger comes into the apartment, looking for attention.

The reason we are considering cats, they are very clean creatures and need minimal effort to take care. Clean the kitty litter, make sure the animal is not sick or dying, feed, and play with if they are in the mood.

With dogs, which I prefer greatly, they would not be a great fit for the apartment life and would be alone for 6-8 hours a day on weekdays. Unless we hire a walker or something, the dog would probably be bored out of its mind, poop indoors since again, 6-8 hours alone, and what not.

Actually, I prefer rabbits or pigs for pets. Wouldn't mind a duck or a few hens but they are messy.

*my roommate just suggested we move to a farm -_-*

Despite having owned my own home for 3 years now, I wish I still lived at my mom's house simply because it's on 3 acres of land in the woods. Plenty of room to have a dog or two and a couple cats. My house, on the other hand, is on something like a half-acre plot in the middle of town. Granted, the majority of my "yard" is fenced in, but it's so small that it doesn't really count when it comes to giving a dog room to play.

I do have a cat though, and have been thinking of getting another. My only problem is that the cat I have now is fully declawed(don't look at me like that! I got her from a friend to keep her from going to a shelter, it wasn't me that declawed her!) and so any other cat I get would likely have to be declawed as well. Otherwise, my cat would get its butt kicked and have no way to defend itself. And I like my cat too much to let that happen. Which is why I haven't gotten a second cat.

cat I have now is fully declawed(don't look at me like that! I got her from a friend to keep her from going to a shelter, it wasn't me that declawed her!) and so any other cat I get would likely have to be declawed as well. Otherwise, my cat would get its butt kicked and have no way to defend itself. And I like my cat too much to let that happen. Which is why I haven't gotten a second cat.

*looks at you "that way"*

My brother was actually thinking of declawing his cat. I told him if he did I would cut off his fingers from the knuckles up, cause that's what he'd be doing to his poor little kitty. If hh and his girlfriend didn't want to deal with kitty claws they shouldn't have gotten a cat :grr:

Thankfully, they didn't have the money to it, and the cat outgrew his clawing. Idiots. :angry:

Hey, like I said, it wasn't me that declawed the cat, she came that way when I got her.And I haven't gotten another cat because I don't want to declaw it. Don't get me wrong, I won't actually complain about my cat being declawed because it sure makes giving her a flea bath easier and keeps certain pieces of furniture that she regularly attacks from getting shredded, but I also won't do it to a cat myself.