Missed out....will there be another KS?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the original purpose for the kickstarter is to fund the molding so those Bones miniature can be sold in retail. I doubt they will put out a new kickstarter without first selling a few of those bones miniatures in retail.

On the other hand, it took them little effort to start another ks (compared to starting a completely new game system or line of miniature) since most of their stuff are already sculpted and they just need to go through their cabinet of master and take them out for molding.

i dont care what they cabinets they have to go through or dust off if i can spend 100 dollars and get over 200 minis lol i dont think ill have enough terrain tok put all those minis on hah

Don't get your hopes too high. It's highly unlikely we'll see 241 minis, some huge, for $100 next time. Reaper didn't lose money this time around, but it came close.

i dont care what they cabinets they have to go through or dust off if i can spend 100 dollars and get over 200 minis lol i dont think ill have enough terrain tok put all those minis on hah

Don't get your hopes too high. It's highly unlikely we'll see 241 minis, some huge, for $100 next time. Reaper didn't lose money this time around, but it came close.

Unless you know for certain, I really don't think you should speculate on what money Reaper did or didn't make.

As far as I've seen on the open message boards, Reaper has never said that they came close to losing money. The only thing that we've read is that it went so well that they were able to expand the warehouse and buy a plastic injection machine to start production in Texas. This does not sound like a group that misjudged their financing at all.

The Reaper people may be creative, nice people but they also have great minds for business.

Have faith that if/when Reaper decides to do another KickStarter, they will be striving to be even more spectacular than the last.

It's a matter of pride, eh?

Have we been reading the same board? Because the term I've seen bandied around most often has been "broke even." Close runners up are things like "at ten million dollars we would have been four million dollars in the hole" and similar.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48845-stories-from-the-kickstarter-discussion-at-reapercon/ is a start.

Of course Reaper is not giving anything more than a vague idea of the finances for the KS and that's fine. Bryan has dropped some small hints though. He said that the money raised paid for the moulds and minis to be produced. That 'it was a wash'. There are a few possible variables in that statement like does this also cover the few thousand extra of each mini that were made to satisfy retail demand or just the KS pledges? Is packing and shipping covered? Are Thomas and the new building included? Etc. I'm guessing 'no' to that last question.

We know that the KS was a success but we understandably don't know the full details. I think that the new building and the injection machine may have been financed based on the response from the KS and there may have been other costs that might not have been covered by the money raised. We simply don't know. Whatever, the increase in Reaper's existing business (up by 50% since the KS) and the new business generated by the new Bones should easily cover any shortfall.

Maybe they only broke even, but they also now have a large amount of capital in the form of injection molds that will be bringing in money for years to come. That's a huge win for Reaper and what makes their Kickstarter such a genius move.

Maybe they only broke even, but they also now have a large amount of capital in the form of injection molds that will be bringing in money for years to come. That's a huge win for Reaper and what makes their Kickstarter such a genius move.

Completely agreed. The marketing alone has increased their business substantially (sales up 50% from this time last year was the figure I heard, although I don't know a) how accurate that citation is and b) how much of that is because of the second wave Bones that were already on their way when the Kickstarter was planned.) The kickstarter was a huge jump ahead for them, and it's been said that they'll do another one later this year or sometime next. Although everything beyond that is entirely up in the air.

My original point is that this one was a huge deal, and could very easily have turned into a disaster for the company. The sheer size of things has bogged them down enormously. I highly doubt that the next Kickstarter is going to be this big, I doubt the opening package (Vampire 2, if you will) is going to be as generous, and I don't want to see people getting their hopes up and then woofing and whining that Reaper's trying to rip them off.

Vampire wasn't that generous when it was first offered. It was a good deal even then, but a lot less than it turned in to. $100 for 3 dozen goblins, kobolds and rats, 30 assorted minis (none large) plus Sophie and her bike. Of course it grew into something insane, that would be the real question for a follow up, and I bet whatever level of bonuses they come up with there will be plenty of complainers. Imagine the screaming if they ended around the point I expected the last one to end. When I saw the crypt at 525k, I thought that would be it, the kickstarter done with no new add ons. And I for one would have been very happy at that point, that was 56 more free minis plus a bunch of nice paid extras. I imagine the kicktraq would probably been much flatter after. Still, how many of the 18k backers would have gone in for 122 minis plus Sophie. Most I bet.

Brand new here. Only reason I came was because of what I saw in that awesome Bones Kickstarter last year. (Man, I wish I could have gotten in on that!) So I don't want to miss the next one, for sure and for certain. Anyone know if there is an auto-notification system? I looked in the settings of my profile and made sure the news checkbox is checked, think that's enough?

Anyway, here's hoping for another super kickstarter (especially when next time they will be made in the good ole' USA).

If Reaper does another Kickstarter, and it turns out to be anywhere near as successful as the last one, a single plastic injection machine won't be enough to fulfil the demand, so I'd still expect to see a good portion to be made in China.

The best way not to miss a possibble future Reaper kickstarter is to check in here now and then.

That shouldn't hurt - to make sure you get notified of any new News posts. But the best way to make sure is.... (Oh, new post. >click< ::shakefist at sky:: Daaarrrrssscc....! ... ::elects to send post anyway, even though the end of it was going to be:: ) ...to pop back into the forums fairly regularly. Maybe even hang out.

• Like 1