Paint Area - Adventures in Organizing

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still awaiting my paint, but I got my racks last week. I still want a couple more but this should do me for a while.

Can you let me know what your using as a temp base? I've been trying to re-think my strategy for when i work and this is almost exactly what I was thinking of. the slightly longer mount might help me keep still when doing those little tiny bits.

and I hate you for your set up... I just want to come visit so i can paint there... dont mind me... I'm quiet

Its a jewelers hand vise I purchased locally. I usually use a piece of paper clip as a pin which holds well in one of the 4 notches on the jaws http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-hand-vise_c20340. Good view of the jaws here http://www.micromark.com/super-hand-vise,10308.html.

Usually you see these with a wing nut on the side to tighten the jaws but this one tightens by turning the handle. I have to say this is one of my favourite items on my painting bench. It wasn't terribly cheap but its well made and I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

In the picture I have it sitting in a container filled with heavy metal beads with a hole cut in the lid. I first made a slanted holder out of the plastic packaging so that when I needed to put it down, the miniature didn't touch anything.

Appreciate the info... I started, albeit recently, using these little wooden knobs i got from michaels, then i found these egg shaped wood peices that i liked, but the tops tapered and didnt hold tack as well as i wanted, then i moved up to my wife's empty perscription medicine bottles, not like the old skinny ones but much fatter and taller, i filled these with sand to give them some stability and they have been my base of choice so far. I'm gonna do some research and see if i can find one to play with a little

Thanks again

Appreciate the info... I started, albeit recently, using these little wooden knobs i got from michaels, then i found these egg shaped wood peices that i liked, but the tops tapered and didnt hold tack as well as i wanted, then i moved up to my wife's empty perscription medicine bottles, not like the old skinny ones but much fatter and taller, i filled these with sand to give them some stability and they have been my base of choice so far. I'm gonna do some research and see if i can find one to play with a little

Thanks again

Another cheap and easy way to temporarily base your minis while painting is this:

post-4845-0-73644600-1351034800.jpg

That's a wine cork with a nickle superglued to the bottom and the miniature hot-glued to the top. Removal is as simple as twisting the miniature around - pops right off, and the hot glue just peels off from the underside of the miniature in one smooth piece (usually). I have two dozen of these in one of my drawers, and I can have a whole army going at once.

• Like 3

Empty Tamiya paint cans & double sided tape is what I use. I got big hands with lanky fingers so the Tamiya can is great for me to hold. Plus since I use them all the time in my scale model building it's a familiar item for me.

Travel painting I tend to use empty (thou filled with whatever I have on hand) Reaper Pro Paint pots + if I remember to add it a Tamiya can lid.

Paint/hobby area. he he well let just say its buried deep under a piles of hobby stuff. I need to clean it thou so I can move from my summer hobby spot, which was my windowsill this year. After a couple days standing & painting or gluing models felt the same as sitting.

Alas back to the usual spot.

Hopefully pics to come!.