Paint Area - Adventures in Organizing

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, some more organizing and setup went into the work space last night. A nice relaxing night actually.

First, I setup my clay pasta machine on the right hand side of the work bench. I use it frequently enough to warrant leaving it out. Handle got a loop on the pegboard.

post-7739-0-46853700-1368642828_thumb.jpg

Then I started sorting through several boxes of materials. Most are intended as bases for miniatures but excess make nice pieces or tokens for terrain. The larger 1.5in by 3in pieces make excellent wagons.

Basing Options:

post-7739-0-84887400-1368643007_thumb.jpg

Terrain/Token Options:

post-7739-0-12107500-1368643044_thumb.jpg

The majority of the tiles shown in those boxes come from an architect firm that moved across town in Ithaca. They were clearing out their old samples. I took home a car load of samples, binders, computer parts, and more for the low, low price of "You haul it away." A friend of mine is a drafter for the firm. Got an "optical network switch" that I sold for $$$ back then.

I have gleaned hundreds of pieces of Slate from the sidewalks here in town. The water freezing and thawing cracks the slabs off in slivers or even sheets at times. So as I walk the dog, loose pieces come home with me.

Use a bunch in some projects both terrain related, basing related and crafting related so time to go slate gathering again.

Here's the new metal Slate box:

post-7739-0-25911700-1368643336_thumb.jpg

The pieces are sorted by size and then the smaller bits (usually broken off others that have been shaped to fit a base) are reserved in the medicine bottle for broken terrain in basing or dioramas.

post-7739-0-70385200-1368643413_thumb.jpg

Transferred some more basing materials; ballasts and sand; to jars from their crappier store provided bags. They get housed under the paints on the rack in the background.

post-7739-0-04747200-1368643522_thumb.jpg

Gathered more miniatures and picked out the ones without bases (broccoli or slotted) for the compartment box. The white ones in the miniature box are my Talisman game pieces. Primed and waiting for paint.

post-7739-0-30429600-1368643629_thumb.jpg

And lastly, some more clutter to keep the desk "real."

post-7739-0-11803300-1368643678_thumb.jpg

Shown are some small wooden planks, magnetic strips left over from making the magnetic file holders, random lead bits including a previously melted into the shape of a spoon, black clay, and various tools and utensils.

Hopefully, I can clear some more bits and pieces into larger containers tonight.

• Like 3

It's been a while- how is the desk & organization working out for you? Have you found anything that isn't working like you wanted it to? That usually happens to me so I'm wondering if it's just me or if that's somewhat normal.

• Like 1

Lately, I've been trying to build a grab-and-go-kit for work outside of the basement. I figure room for 4-6 paints (craft 2oz bottles), a couple of minis, and brushes with small cup (I have a porcelain Japanese sake cup) or small jar for water. I haven't found the perfect container for this yet. I will post about it when I do.

The intent for this kit, aside from the obvious, is not to include my current projects so much as a couple of based and primed minis so if I am going to travel somewhere or expect to be sitting waiting somewhere I can bring it to work.

As to my workspace ... aside from setbacks like the basement flooding and lack of time in general, everything I planned has worked out so far. I've been playing with some alternate containers and shifting stuff about on the desktop.

I plan to go to our storage unit this week and retrieve my wire rack display with peg hooks as I hope to have my KS order shipped soon. I have 17 line items. WOOT.

A wall of little white figures on pegs in their baggies. It'll be like art. Pictures as soon as I get them stashed.

I also plan to install the remainder of my peg boards for my computer worktable ... immediately to the right of my miniature table. It will allow me setup friends' computers and work on them as well as provide a space for media while I work on my minis.

At this time, I am thinking of installing the peg boards low to the table for ease of access and mounting a monitor above them on a swing arm. The tools for computer work are similar to a lot of the tools I need for mini work. So some cross over stuff will be situated to the left of the peg board. Most of the rest of the peg board will be "bins" and testing kits.

In the interim, I've been using the computer work table as my photo studio.

Pictures of work and status to come.

The key is to be able to see them. I could have bought a bunch of mason jars and stacked them on tiered shelves but eclectic glass bottles make it cool and I can quickly identify what I want both from contents and bottle shape/style.

• Like 2

Boxes like THIS filled with your minis, put in on their hinges could be organized by type, game, whatever works for you, and then just grabbed on your way out to game, or pulled out to paint, etc.

I keep my basing stuff, grasses, etc. in Really Useful Boxes. Easy to see through and sturdy for getting knocked around. You could have a drawer for just basing stuff all organized in their own containers.

Plano 3730 are the correct size for reaper paint bottles.

So, some more organizing and setup went into the work space last night. A nice relaxing night actually.

First, I setup my clay pasta machine on the right hand side of the work bench. I use it frequently enough to warrant leaving it out. Handle got a loop on the pegboard.

attachicon.gifPasta Machine Attached.jpg

Then I started sorting through several boxes of materials. Most are intended as bases for miniatures but excess make nice pieces or tokens for terrain. The larger 1.5in by 3in pieces make excellent wagons.

Basing Options:

attachicon.gifBasing Options.jpg

Terrain/Token Options:

attachicon.gifVarious Game Tokens.jpg

The majority of the tiles shown in those boxes come from an architect firm that moved across town in Ithaca. They were clearing out their old samples. I took home a car load of samples, binders, computer parts, and more for the low, low price of "You haul it away." A friend of mine is a drafter for the firm. Got an "optical network switch" that I sold for $$$ back then.

I have gleaned hundreds of pieces of Slate from the sidewalks here in town. The water freezing and thawing cracks the slabs off in slivers or even sheets at times. So as I walk the dog, loose pieces come home with me.

Use a bunch in some projects both terrain related, basing related and crafting related so time to go slate gathering again.

Here's the new metal Slate box:

attachicon.gifSlate Pieces Index Box - Closed.jpg

The pieces are sorted by size and then the smaller bits (usually broken off others that have been shaped to fit a base) are reserved in the medicine bottle for broken terrain in basing or dioramas.

attachicon.gifSlate Pieces Index Box - Open.jpg

Transferred some more basing materials; ballasts and sand; to jars from their crappier store provided bags. They get housed under the paints on the rack in the background.

attachicon.gifTerrain Material.jpg

Gathered more miniatures and picked out the ones without bases (broccoli or slotted) for the compartment box. The white ones in the miniature box are my Talisman game pieces. Primed and waiting for paint.

attachicon.gifUnbased and Talisman Miniatures.jpg

And lastly, some more clutter to keep the desk "real."

attachicon.gifWork Bench Clutter.jpg

Shown are some small wooden planks, magnetic strips left over from making the magnetic file holders, random lead bits including a previously melted into the shape of a spoon, black clay, and various tools and utensils.

Hopefully, I can clear some more bits and pieces into larger containers tonight.

Hey, where'd you get those frog minis I see?