Paint Area - Adventures in Organizing

Nice! I'll have to remember that if I'm ever painting away from home. I do have a pretty nice little porcelain palette I plan on using most of the time though. Only maybe 8 by 5 inches. It has a bunch of wells that hold about 10-12 drops and some flat space for gradient mixing and paint straight from the bottle. I can use the lid as another flat palette too (and I may try sticking a paper towel and parchment paper in there to convert it to a wet palette for longer paints). The big thing is going to be organizing my paints effectively so I can take out a subset and keep the rest in storage, since I won't have table space for big paint racks like you have there. Luckily minis are small, or at least the ones I paint are.

Have you checked out the Reaper paint caddies? It would keep your paints all in order, and it's easily put back into a drawer with everything in it. I used one at PAX - the dividers are removable, so I left a few big spots for brushes, brush cleaner, files, etc. The paper towel cubbies have minis in them.

9prvpOH.png?1

• Like 9

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reaper Paint Caddy is nice but the space between the dividers could be a little wider.

They are almost wide enough to fit 4 bottles across each area so the three that fit rattle around a lot unless you wedge something in that space to stop that.

I made some dividers out of cardboard to keep my Scale75 inks and flesh tones from mixing with other colors yesterday because of that.

img_0313_corrections_cropped_resized_650

img_0318_corrections_cropped_resized_650

img_0321_corrections_cropped_resized_650

They sit under the bottles and have notches cut into them there to lock into the slots the dividers go into so they don't slide around.

• Like 6

The Reaper Paint Caddy is nice but the space between the dividers could be a little wider.

They are almost wide enough to fit 4 bottles across each area so the three that fit rattle around a lot unless you wedge something in that space to stop that.

I made some dividers out of cardboard to keep my Scale75 inks and flesh tones from mixing with other colors yesterday because of that.

img_0313_corrections_cropped_resized_650

img_0318_corrections_cropped_resized_650

img_0321_corrections_cropped_resized_650

They sit under the bottles and have notches cut into them there to lock into the slots the dividers go into so they don't slide around.

I have the entire Scale 75 Scale color line in one caddy:

002_1.jpg

I cut the strips off of the boxes to mark where in the caddy each one goes...

They are a little tight fitting 8 per, but...

I use the front 4 for other paints that I am using on whatever it is I am working on that isn't from this line.

I bought the Fantasy & Game set as a complete kit, the dots are a little bigger, so I have not cut them for another Reaper caddy that has Vallejo in the other half...

Besides, they came in a nifty little aluminum holder of their own....

George

• Like 8

I have the entire Scale 75 Scale color line in one caddy:

002_1.jpg

I cut the strips off of the boxes to mark where in the caddy each one goes...

They are a little tight fitting 8 per, but...

I use the front 4 for other paints that I am using on whatever it is I am working on that isn't from this line.

I bought the Fantasy & Game set as a complete kit, the dots are a little bigger, so I have not cut them for another Reaper caddy that has Vallejo in the other half...

Besides, they came in a nifty little aluminum holder of their own....

George

Mine don't fit like yours at all.

I can force the slightly slimmer reaper bottles to fit four across in the middle two rows but the dividers bow noticeably.

The Scale 75 bottles are wider and don't fit four across at all in mine.

I would not like to keep the paint bottles under than kind of stress anyway since it can damage the bottles (they can split along the bottom edge and the sides).

It can also deform the threading area of the bottle leading to the cap not sealing which causes the paint to dry out.

I remember hearing the Paint Caddy was out of stock for a while.

I just got my recently so maybe the design changed and it got slightly smaller when that happened?

• Like 2

I got my Scale Colors back in August / September, and the caddy in late September / Early October. I have gotten 2 more caddies since then, but did not do a size comparison....

All 3 'look' the same when they are stacked up....

The 2 'Corner' compartments are the tightest, where the case rounds, but other than that, no issues so far....

George

• Like 1

A while ago I posted my portable kit for taking to the paint day I host here in the Finger Lakes region of NY as well as shots of my workbench in the basement ...

IMAG0907.jpg

Heh.  Wait till you see what my Paint Day Kit looks like now.  I will post the whole kit tonight when I get home.

In some ways, it's reduced because I store a lot of that stuff here at the office where we hold Paint Day.

But now instead of three trays of craft paint and my FatMax tool bag ... I still have the FatMax tool bag, plus:

• 3 ArtBin caddies, which hold Paints & Brushes - mostly Reaper & Vallejo, Sanding & Basing, as well as Sculpting & Converting,
  • 4 project Book Boxes,
  • a portable photo studio,
  • a crate with basing materials, my Ottlite, and cables,
  • my WoldStand products

Additionally, if I know someone whose coming that might want to trade minis, I bring:

• 2 ArtBin caddies of "20" miniatures sorted into monster/character/gender types,
  • 1 mega tub with "20" dragons, giants, and more,
  • 2 carriers that hold 4 plastic cases which in turn hold "20" minis sorted into foam sections.
  • And a couple of show off cases/Book Boxes holding the Marvel Golems and the like.

I seldom paint at my Workbench anymore because it's a pain to get everything out and switch the bench from wood working to painting.

I frequently use a folding "TV" table in the living room if I do any work at home.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 4

My turn!  My Reaper paint order finally came in and I finally decided on brushes so I reorganized a corner of my hobby room/man cave to create a new painting area.  I thought it appropriate to post here since my new space was put together based on a lot of great advice from this forum.  Thanks.  While I waited for the paints I went ahead and primed a bunch of models including the Warlord Dwarves that I plan to paint for my first project ever.  Once I start (after vacation) I'll post some pix of my first attempts at miniature painting.  Btw... the painted Warhammer models in one of the included pix was painted by someone else.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice on paints, brushes, light boxes, display cases, and so many other little things.  Can't wait to finish a project so I can really feel a part of this community.  

Carl

post-14821-0-45789900-1456910763_thumb.jpg

The corner I used for my painting area originally was my cleaning and maintenance area for my other hobby - firearms.  Had to squeeze all that stuff on one shelf while using the other for my miniatures and Warhammer models.

post-14821-0-24453000-1456910989_thumb.jpg

The 2 Ottlights and nail polish display case came from this forum and I couldn't be more happy.  The magnifier lamp is pretty much my most important tool due to my not so perfect eyesight (for minute details).

post-14821-0-78185300-1456911128_thumb.jpg

My Reaper Warlord Dwarves... my first project!  Looks like alot of Bones minis, but actually I don't own any.  Everything is just primed white... again because of my eyesight.  The Warhammer 40k Space Wolves were painted by someone else and are used as inspiration.

• Like 9

My supplies so far are quite limited, though I'll be ordering a paint set or two from Reaper and a scale75 metallics set soon when tax returns hit, and will need to add some paint caddies or racks for those.  Here's what I'm working with now.

post-14799-0-04114300-1457480047_thumb.jpgpost-14799-0-64238800-1457480047_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

In dire need of more paints, only up to like 50ish different paints. Besides that another couple months and I should be able to get my first good set of brushes. These Hobby Lobby 10 dollar set brushes have done great as a learner set but, I think I would like something a little better. Also maybe a side stand to put my basing stuff in instead of the fishing tackle box I am currently using. Overall I am content though. Simplicity makes it easier to find what I need.

post-13971-0-62887300-1457969498_thumb.jpgpost-13971-0-21057000-1457969599_thumb.jpgpost-13971-0-16348500-1457969676_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• Members

Organizing continues... Paints on the center drawer are grouped for what I hope wil be deployment to a second paint rack tomorrow.. then to move all my bones, packaged reaper minis and silk painting stuff out of amazon boxes and into some totes or my Mantis cases for a cleaner look.

post-8754-0-85232400-1458024279_thumb.jpg

post-8754-0-79359100-1458024274_thumb.jpg

Drawer of paints, inks and glue

post-8754-0-99018800-1458024270_thumb.jpg

The Drawer of Death

post-8754-0-12626700-1458024267_thumb.jpg

The Drawer of 20 more unique minis (Mierce, Red Box, Oathsworn, Albino Raven, Raining Frog's Garage, etc)

post-8754-0-09105300-1458024263_thumb.jpg

• Like 7