(SPLIT) While Waiting for KS Bones...

Last Knight

The LOTR movies are dumb because there just a lot of walking.

No, no, it's: Why didn't they just go to Mordor on the eagles?

That's an easy question. Eagles are food:

I liked this explanation a little more. http://oglaf.com/ornithology/ (Linked) This one is safe for work, just has some f-bombs. A lot of the other comics...nsfw.

Edited by pcktlnt

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know, I have a while to wait still, as my order is quite high on the complication scale. However, I just wanted to let you know that we are ready on this side. Check out the new gear! All ready for painting piles of Bones.

Reaper Peeps, I know you are working hard to fulfill our orders, so no pressure. Really, no pressure. None at all. I am waiting very very patiently. Really, I am.

No pressure. Patient. Really.

<Checks email for shipping notification>

001.jpg

• Like 3

I guess this is a thread for how we're preparing for our mini goodness?

As someone brand new to the wide world of mini painting, I've been watching videos and reading forums to get a sense of what all will be involved in turning my awesome plastic into an epic figurine. I ordered two of the paint sets with my KS, so no actual painting as of yet, but I did order the basic brush set and the next smaller set, a set of small files just right for filing off the flash lines, and a bottle of Folk Art Tile and Glass Medium to use for thinning paint and such. Anything else I should consider getting? (and no, an airbrush won't be an option due to my being a graduate student in a teeny little apartment, lol)

I've decided that I'll start practicing the different techniques (such as washes, dry-brushing, etc.) on the more technical minis that are not likely to be used much, so that if I royally mess it up, it won't matter so much. :)

I can't wait!! I've been checking my email every day, my order was 1 Vampire, 2 paints, 1 case and 1 There Be Dragons, so I'm hoping that I'll be seeing that email in the next couple of weeks. :) (I live in the US)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 2

I guess this is a thread for how we're preparing for our mini goodness?

As someone brand new to the wide world of mini painting, I've been watching videos and reading forums to get a sense of what all will be involved in turning my awesome plastic into an epic figurine. I ordered two of the paint sets with my KS, so no actual painting as of yet, but I did order the basic brush set and the next smaller set, a set of small files just right for filing off the flash lines, and a bottle of Folk Art Tile and Glass Medium to use for thinning paint and such. Anything else I should consider getting? (and no, an airbrush won't be an option due to my being a graduate student in a teeny little apartment, lol)

I've decided that I'll start practicing the different techniques (such as washes, dry-brushing, etc.) on the more technical minis that are not likely to be used much, so that if I royally mess it up, it won't matter so much. :)

I can't wait!! I've been checking my email every day, my order was 1 Vampire, 2 paints, 1 case and 1 There Be Dragons, so I'm hoping that I'll be seeing that email in the next couple of weeks. :) (I live in the US)

Huzzah!

pick a mini and take a lot of pictures as you paint and try lots of different things and don't be afraid to screw up, bones are Very forgiving, just don't use acetone to clean them, soap and a toothbrush + warm water works wonders.

I think I painted my first mini 3-4 times before I got it Right, the "guys" here are very forgiving and are great at giving advice/tips so just hit the ground running and start painting / posting pictures.

I'm in for 1 vamp 2 cases 4 paints doubles of the giants kaladrax the Pf dragon 3 sets of the deep ones and a metric ton of the other small adons... I've got a bit of a wait.

When you say clean, are you referring to the initial cleaning, or to removing paint? lol I won't be bringing them anywhere near anything stronger than soapy water until I do more research, such as the best way to remove paint. Do you have any prior familiarity with Bones/plastic minis? I'm trying to find out whether a coat of sealant after the painting is done is a good idea or not, and I've been seeing conflicting opinions. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! :)

Huzzah!

When you say clean, are you referring to the initial cleaning, or to removing paint? lol I won't be bringing them anywhere near anything stronger than soapy water until I do more research, such as the best way to remove paint. Do you have any prior familiarity with Bones/plastic minis? I'm trying to find out whether a coat of sealant after the painting is done is a good idea or not, and I've been seeing conflicting opinions. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! :)

Huzzah!

I was meaning removing paint. I've painted a few bones so yea I've played around with them a bit, If your going to do anything Other than just leave them sitting in a display case then your going to need to seal them with some dull coat or something, normal acrylic paint will rub off from use on table top mini's. i've been using testor's.dull coat to seal them. just make sure they are dry, I normally let them set a few days on a shelf before I seal them which is Wayyyyy over kill.

Edited by pocketcthulhu

Sealing your minis is never a bad idea, it's just that with Bones, from what most of us can tell so far, it doesn't seem to be strictly necessary. The paint sticks very well. Again though, it wouldn't be a bad idea, it just might stiffen a mini a bit more than it would be naturally.

Huzzah!

Since the Kickstarter closed a lot of us have been pretty busy experimenting with Bones and painting them to build up a good store of information for folks just starting out. It's still a work in progress, and when most of the Kickstarter pledges have arrived there should be some interesting new stuff to read or join in on.

For initial information, Wren did an amazing series of extensive tests worth taking a look at here:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/?p=700485

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48667-bones-frequently-asked-questions-unofficial/?p=700479

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/?p=700487

She did some tests with various primers, but for my own personal taste I don't believe in using primer on Bones and think they work better without it so long as you've washed them in soap and water first. My plan for Bones is to use them as gaming miniatures more than as display pieces, so I've been refining a method that's quick and simple that hopefully might be of use to beginners as well.

So you can check out some of those results on the pre-Kickstarter Bones here:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47928-buglipss-bones-wip-request-thread/?p=683582

The Reaper Learn to Paint Kits are also an excellent source of instruction and extra supplies, as they ship with full bottles of paint now. The included miniatures are metal, not Bones, but techniques cross over between the two. For metal, you use primer first. For Bones, if you don't use primer, your first undiluted paint coat serves the same job as primer. If you plan to use them for gaming a lot, my recommendation for Bones is no primer - the various abuses I've subjected my hapless test subjects to have convinced me that an undiluted paint basecoat is, overall, more durable and wear resistant.

Once the majority of KS packages are out in the wild, this forum should get pretty active. So there'll be lots of fun stuff to see, and do, and if you have any questions about stuff we're positively eager to help out and make sure your Bones addiction takes hold.

Then you can join me at the airport, handing out catalogs to people and asking if they've Heard the Word of Bones. ::P:

• Like 1