Sign in to follow this  
euchas

coating metal miniatures

Hi guys

I am new to reaper minis and to the forum! Just received my first shipment today(had to wait for a 1 god damned month). I got some bone stuff and some metal dark heaven legends minis. So I have few questions for you guys. 1. When painting metal miniatures do I need to use a primer? 2. Is a black primer just higher density acrylic paint? 2. If I haven't bought the reaper primer but I have Pure Black paint can I use it instead? 3. If not, what can I get in paint shops? (because we don't even have games workshop where I live)

If I understand correctly the primer is needed because with simple black paint the remaining coats of colors will not stick well and will rub off on the edges. Is all that correct?

Thanks in advance guys

Okay, in order -
1) Primer for metal minis, not for bones (though you can)

2) No, primer isn't just high density paint. It has abrasive material in it which etches the metal slightly, and gives regular paint something to grip on to

2b) no, you don't want to use reaper pure black as a primer for metal miniatures. On bones, if you want a black starting surface, this is fine.

3) You can use a variety of spray primers, but I'm not the one to ask about that. Art stores should carry acrylic gesso, which works well as a primer also, and can be applied with a brush.

You have it basically right. Primer etches the metal a bit as it's applied, allowing it to grip better, and allowing te paint to grip it better.

Also remember to soap-and-water wash all minis before you begin.
Have fun!

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 3

Black spray paint comes off very easily, I've cleaned a lot of figures I've bought from people frustrated with their crap paint job on black paint.

You don't say where "here" is but I'm sure you have a hardware store or do-it-yourself place nearby where you can buy primer in a spray can. An auto parts store carries it too. Look for Dupli-color sandable auto primer. It looks like this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_sandable-primer-white-12-oz-aerosol-duplicolor_7140819-p

A light coat, on 3-4 sides, from about 8" away will do it.

Read as many tutorials on primers as you can. It's not difficult, but the more you prepare to prime, the better results you get.

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature-painting-apply-primer.html

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/783792/miniature-painting-plastic-game-figures-and-the

Try spraying with white primer then washing with brown ink to get a head start on figure details.

When you're comfortable with spray primers, try zenithal priming!

Also, try simple basing (eg. glue and sand) before you prime!

Buy and use reaper brush on primer for the metal minis! You can thin it as much as you want and humidity doesn't matter.

Agreed. I have switched to brush-on primer for all my minis (except BONES, no primer there).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      I received a commission to paint some lovely porcelain Santa figures by a friend of mine, and I'm not sure what primer to use, or whether I need to use primer at all.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is a spray primer likely to cause damage? I'd use brush-on, but given that each figure is 10 inches tall, that's a bit more hand-priming than I want to do!

Here's one of them as an example (there are 7 in total):

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By MusicalFeline
      Right, so this is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways, because, well, I'm uncertain.

So a week ago, I purchased the D&D/Army Painter Monster Paint Set. Fantastic set, contains more paints than I'll need ever for a decade for a year for an undetermined period of time.

Anyways, this set came with three washes - Shadow Wash, Flesh Wash, and Brown Wash. As recommended by several other painters on a different post, I decided I'd use these premade washes rather than the thinned-down paint I had been using in the past. However...

I doubted, and now I'm uncertain. After a quick google search, I'm even more confused as I saw contradictory answers, and answers that weren't really answers. I know I'm being irrational, but do you use these the same way as thinned-down paint (applying to the miniature after it's been basecoated?), or do you use it some other way?

Again, stupid question, but as they say, it's better to be safe than sorry. Thanks!
    • By Evilbookworm
      Does anyone know when these will hit retail?  We've seen quite a bit of bones 4, but not the weapon sprues from 3, and as someone who has party members with unique characters, the conversion potential there is great.  

Secondary question, do you think we will get stuff like the deadlands weapon sprue in bones soon/ever?
    • By Face_Rollan
      Good morning guys! 

Q: if buying one of the reaper core sets (108 bottle set), what's the main difference in them? 

I'm looking into buying a complete paint set. I've been doing a ton of research and have settled on a reaper core set (i already own several reaper paints and love them).  I know that everyone suggests a blend of several companies based on which has the best,  e.g. yellow,  or metallics. I just want to make it simple, buy a set and build from there. 

I'll mostly be painting 40k and privateer press models with some terrain and 3d prints mixed in (i have a cheapo set of acrylics from Michael's for large terrain and 3d prints).

I've also considered the Vallejo Model set, and Army Painter Mega Set.

Thanks in advance! 
    • By nakos
      In the Reaper Live videos, it's been mentioned that most rattle primers are ok to use. But no one that I've seen has mentioned their results of spray priming their bones black, so I thought that I would post my results here. I hope that others will post theirs as well. 

Cleaning and prepping mold lines on bones black is very different than regular bones. I would compare it to other gaming companies hard plastic while still having a little bit more flexibility. 

So far I've used the following primers, I'll add to this list as I use new ones:
      Krylon Colormaster White primer- quick drying time with light spraying, no stickiness, no granular texture associated with light dusting. The white stayed relatively white unlike on other plastic models. 

Rustoleum 2X Paint+Primer Satin Poppy Red- Smooth coverage, no texturing. However, after 24hrs is still slightly tacky to the touch. In places where I've scrapped mold lines away the plastic underneath is not tacky. I'll give it a few more days to cure and then I'll try stripping it and see how that goes. The tackiness maybe due to the satin primer rather than the more commonly used flat primer. ETU: 60 hrs and no change in the tackiness so I used isopropyl to strip it with no issues.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 2 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)