Storing prior to painting?

Bonwirn

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that the truth. I buy stuff just because it looks cool. Then it sits on the shelf and I think to myself: "What could I possibly use this for in game" or "Do I really see myself painting this...ever?"

I am already at this stage and my first unpainted mini purchase was backing the BONES Kickstarter (and since then it includes most of the currently offered BONES minis, all of the LTPKs and quite a few other things).

My unpainted list is over half the minis I have in my possession right now. Which is only a total of 12, but that means I have 8 unpainted. And then I've got another 7 in the mail right now, followed my the Bones Kickstarter later... I'm well on my way to having nothing but a shelf of shame, with no painted minis to show for it.

I also have the newly discovered problem of looking through the Reaper website and drooling over minis that I think look cool. I've gamed for a decade without caring about minis, and caring even less about painting them, but since I got in on the Kickstarter I've been drooling over both minis and paints. In fact, just yesterday I was catching myself drooling over Warlord minis, thinking "Maybe I can find someone who wants to play Warlord locally?" But then I remembered my failed attempt at finding a Flames of War group, despite offering to provide a spare army for people to learn to play with, and decided against it. But I'm still really tempted to get some of the Black Orc minis. I just think they look too good to pass up.

Edited by Unruly

I also have the newly discovered problem of looking through the Reaper website and drooling over minis that I think look cool. I've gamed for a decade without caring about minis, and caring even less about painting them, but since I got in on the Kickstarter I've been drooling over both minis and paints. In fact, just yesterday I was catching myself drooling over Warlord minis, thinking "Maybe I can find someone who wants to play Warlord locally?" But then I remembered my failed attempt at finding a Flames of War group, despite offering to provide a spare army for people to learn to play with, and decided against it. But I'm still really tempted to get some of the Black Orc minis. I just think they look too good to pass up.

I don't game at all, although I could if someone held a gun to my head. I just LOVE to paint minis so I get the figures that I like and have fun painting them. I will display them when I'm done painting them- although I have an interesting idea to put some of them to use that's a bit unconventional. I do a lot of different crafts and enjoy painting so minis fit right in to my general hobby list.

If you just like the figures then get them and enjoy painting them. No one says you have to play the game they go with in order to have them and enjoy them.

If you just like the figures then get them and enjoy painting them. No one says you have to play the game they go with in order to have them and enjoy them.

Oh, I know. It's just easier to justify it to myself if I buy them for a reason other than "they look cool," I mean, it didn't stop me from buying my tanks and infantry for Flames of War, but it did stop me from bothering with painting and basing them, and was a disappointment that I never got to even try playing the game. With fantasy miniatures that's less of an issue, since I can still use them for my Pathfinder games, but it's still something that influences my buying.

It's ok to be an army builder, even if you don't play. Minis you like do look cool, but they look even cooler in a coherent group such as an army or warband.

A beautifully finished mini will always be based in a way that tells a story, such as "Wood Elf in a forest" or "mummy is inside a tomb as opposed to being outside in the desert". follow me so far? good. Now think how many adventurers would actually go out solo? Wouldn't they look better in a group?

random example: you could paint a Lord of the Rings Uruk-Hai and base him on fieldgrass, it would look good. It would convey a character and an a location somewhat. But if you paint 8 of them with closely matching armor colors on the same fieldgrass base, it would convey more of a story. They come from the same place, have traveled together, probably a scouting group and whatever other information your imagination extrapolates from what you see.

I can't guarantee anything, but I've built 4 armies (in another medium). And I've never asked anyone to play, they've asked me. Build it and they will come.

back on topic: it may be called a shelf of shame, but take pride in it. no need to store unpainted minis, just display them!

Miniatures can be enjoyed for what they are. This can be as part of an army or as a solo model. My local group has almost no interest in miniature gaming and my schedule doesn't let me get to the shop often. I don't let that stop me from getting a model or an army for a game system that I enjoy the look of.

I don't have a shelf of shame. I have a shelf of imagination.

4.85% painted, 100% enjoyed

• Like 2

I don't have a shelf of shame. I have a shelf of imagination.

4.85% painted, 100% enjoyed

I really like your positive attitude, and the way you said that it's a shelf of imagination. In fact, I like it so much that I'd like to make it my signature, if you're okay with that. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I have a very small shelf of unpainted shame, I think 5(2 stonehaven gnomes and 3 dwarfs) , i have been painting a bunch of reaper & SH dwarf set but with bones, drake, gnomes, itar dungeons and EFS dwarfs (if they come) soon that shelf will quickly turn into 500ish

I am new to wargaming so maybe with 2 army's of drake I might find some one to learn with me (but with my friends I doubt it! )

we all joke and Laugh about finished vs unfinished, but it really does come down to how much fun you have collecting paint and or playing. I have a massive 40k army as stated earlier, the truth is I haven't fielded an army in well over ten years. I have far more fun collecting and painting. In fact the first table top gaming I have done in years was at this years reapercon. So find the parts you enjoy, and jump on in.

Have bead boxes been tried? Granted, I have exactly 0 Bones in-hand, so I can't try this for myself, but would bead cases be too shallow? Are the compartments big enough for the typical mini?

As a side note, I have a friend who's way into Warhammer 40K and uses a tackle box for his paints, brushes, and minis he's currently working on, and it works FABULOUSLY for that.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I have been using several of those multi-compartment boxes you find at craft stores to store my existing collection of painted metal minis. Because metal chips so easily I cut small squares of 1/4" sheet foam to line the bottom and then a sheet of 1/4" foam under the lid. Unfortunately the foam causes a bit of pressure on larger minis, but it cuts down on the rattling. As a plus, the multi-compartment boxes sold at craft stores retail for less than tackle boxes.

Of course, now I've inherited a really nice Games Workshop storage box plus I bought two of the Reaper cases, so my Bones can recline in style--assuming my college age son doesn't steal them all for the Pathfinder campaign he's starting...