Deva, Angel (ReaperCon contest entry)

Nissiana

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my favorite part is how well everything is stuck together. :)

Great pictures! I really love the way you did the sword and shield. It makes them look like they're made out of some sort of mystical obsidian. And did you blend the highlights on the shield up onto the detailing too? I love that! But my favorite is probably the cloak. I know how hard it is to make a simple white look that good, especially that well blended, and the fact that it looks so smooth and natural is a real highlight. Did you Layer? Wet blend? Glaze? The feathers, too, are great. I can imagine a lot of nights spent highlighting individual threads there. No drybrushing here!

If I'd offer any constructive criticism, it would be on the base. I REALLY like the way you did the marble, but of the whole mini, it looks the least natural. I'm not sure how I'd do better, but there have to be a couple hundred tutorials on painting marble online.

Also, because she didn't mention it above, Nissiana won a GOLD with that one, and well deserved.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, everyone. She truly was a blast to paint.

Really great work on the white! It's such a hard color to do well.

I secretly LOVE painting whites. Hair, cloth, metal, any kind of surface will do, warm or cold tones...I like experimenting with the shading, and I'm a bit of a painting masochist. The secret to the shadows on this particular one is a bit of desaturated teals in the shadow mix to tie the white in with all of the other teal on the model. Otherwise the shades go from Stained Ivory through Creamy Ivory into Linen White.

Noel, my paint technique is mostly a combination of layering and some very patient glazing, especially on big surfaces like that fabric. A tiny bit of wet blending, but generally I keep my paints too thin to effectively wet blend--they dry on the model. As the deadline approached I did a bit more wet blending than normal, though. Always glazes to smooth it out, though!

There is a tiny bit of drybrushing on the wings to establish the highlights, and to do the basis of some of the color fades, but it's heavily glazed over to smooth the transitions and to enhance the color shifts. The last step was picking out the detail on the feather texture, with some extra emphasis in certain areas to reflect the highlighting. A time-consuming process indeed.

Mini is top notch, and well done wings are awesome. How did you make the base?

The base is from one of the Hirst Arts accessory molds, and is cast in dental plaster, with a hole drilled to pin the model. I painted it up to look like marble, and agree that it could use some work. If I was painting it over again, I'd use a lighter hand on the veining in the fluted part of the base. It's a shame that I did the top of the pillar last, and the best veining is hidden by the angel's skirt.

@ObsidianCrane and @Maglok, I look forward to seeing your interpretations of this model! A couple of things things I ran into while working on her -- she'll be a lot easier to paint if you wait until after you've painted the body and the wings to assemble them. I left off the shield arm until the end as well, to make her armor easier to paint. Also, she's surprisingly heavy once fully assembled, so you'll want to make sure that your base isn't too light and that she's positioned so that she's balanced (for me, this meant bringing her a little forward of the middle of the base, so that her center of mass was centered over the base rather than centering the peg of her flight base).

• Like 3

Beautiful piece. I love what you did with everything...especially the feathers on the wings...the shield detail execution...and the sword. I also viewed your other works and may I say that you do some very beautiful work. I hope that this piece earned you an award at the CON.

• Like 1

@Catdancer & @MamaGeek, thank you so much for your compliments. To answer your question MamaGeek, this model earned a gold. Having seen the other entries at that level, I'm quite humbled! I had no idea what to expect going into the Con--I was giddy and grinning like a fool when this was announced, there are plenty of witnesses to that fact. ::D: