Nightmare black, it seems...different

Yes . . . but I don't want them to behave the same. What they do different with my current gunk mix is interesting, and halfway handy. The Bones Bugbear showed me that, and my All Partha painting nostalgia trip showed me some interesting behaviour with Partha. Somewhere in there is a way I can exploit the three different strengths and behaviours to do different tasks, but the only way to find out how is to experiment and see what happens.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh... I actually bought a lab coat for painting. And to do double duty as an apron. And cackling while you paint is the best way to ensure that there's no dust buildup on the figure! And tesla coils & jackobs ladders are great for cleaning brushes...

It was a cheap way to protect my clothing while I paint, and also while I cook. The fact that I look like a mad scientist painting and refer to my chocolate chili con carne that replaced the beer base with unsweetened chocolate as an abomination of kitchen science might give you some insight into my personality...

• Like 3

why do I have this picture of Buglips in a lab coat cackling maddly while tesla coils and jacobs ladders spark and crackle with lightning?

You forgot the ominous thunderstorm. Also, I paint in my kitchen. What? I'm a bachelor, it's not like I eat at the table. In front of the TV, that's how it's done. Gives me a whole dining table for a workbench.

Anyway, enough about my sad microwave dinner lifestyle*. The point is . . . well, I forget. So instead I'll substitute that the point is that I really do consider painting my little people "bringing them to life". With names. Personalities. Theme songs.

If you're interested, Takky's theme song is "Knockin on Heaven's Door" by Guns N' Roses. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why. It's just what's in my head when I paint her.

*Buglips can indeed actually cook, and quite well. Buglips just isn't real picky about where the day's protein comes from, and cans are easy.

Also, that was like a whole day's quota of off-topic rolled into one post.

Hm.

Guess there's nothing to do now but watch old episodes of Knight Rider.

• Like 7

You forgot the ominous thunderstorm. Also, I paint in my kitchen. What? I'm a bachelor, it's not like I eat at the table. In front of the TV, that's how it's done. Gives me a whole dining table for a workbench.

Anyway, enough about my sad microwave dinner lifestyle*. The point is . . . well, I forget.

Best part about the microwave dinner lifestyle. You can splurge on strippers and coke bi-weekly.

Also gives you more time to paint.

Lastly - no one has pics of this stuff in action?

Anyway, enough about my sad microwave dinner lifestyle*. The point is . . . well, I forget.

Best part about the microwave dinner lifestyle. You can splurge on strippers and coke bi-weekly.

In Buglips' case, he splurges on Bones and paint.

• Like 1

I think the OP is referring to one of the Kickstarter paints, which backers could pick up at ReaperCon if they'd pledged for them. If I recall correctly, these paints will eventually join the RMS paint line after the KS orders have been fulfilled. I had the opportunity to use a little Nightmare Black at the con (Thanks, Adrift!), and I found it very similar in color to Blue Liner, at more of a paint consistency.

Edit: Yep, looks like Nightmare Black is part of the Undead Paint color set from the KS!

Thanks for the clarification. I found my Pro Paints brochure, and it appears Anne decided to reuse the name from Pro Paint 19090. Silly me to forget about the new Kickstarter paints.

Fascinating. Thank you for the information. I love this kind of thing.

Neat, isn't it? Essentially most acrylic paint is the same, since it all comes out of the same source, but there are interesting subtle differences. Right now I'm using Reaper Master Series, Reaper Pro Paint (old), Ral Partha, and Coat D'Arms.

The two Reapers are fairly close together. Master Series is a bit better handling, but the overall behaviour is pretty close. But between those and the other two there are worlds of difference. I'm positive this is something I can exploit with experimentation, which is partly why I'm eager to knock out Takky and get back to Bones. What I learn there I'll take back when I return to metals and start pushing for fancy jobs. Things may get very interesting.

Buglips: The RP and CdA paint does real well with Liquitex additives, and when you add some flow aid to those older paints you begin to see it behave more like the Reaper paints. The RP paints have a lot more clays in them which is why they have great coverage and typically have a more scratch resistant coat, but also why they sometimes have a gritty feel to them. The CdA have a higher Vinyl content which is why if you put them on un-thinned they tend to have a satin sheen to them.

Interesting. Is the clay also what gives the 'Parthas their super-flat finish?

I have to say that this thread has been very educational, thanks to the contributors.