Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

A Few Odds and Ends

Hey all, just finished up my first Bones figure!

Here he is, Mr Troll:

post-3125-0-65359000-1367364680_thumb.jpg

Pretty rough paint job all things considered, could spend more time on it but I'm calling him done. Good enough to game with.

I thought I'd also put up a few other bits and pieces I've completed over the years (it's a pretty rare occurrence).

Here's a Warhammer Dwarf Lord:

post-3125-0-82245200-1367364840_thumb.jpg

Felix does the best Dwarf sculpts IMHO, GW shouldn't have let him go. Actually, better that they did, he's doing great work with Avatars of War.

Some old-school GW, Man O War Dwarf Nautiluses (Nautili?):

post-3125-0-26714700-1367365037_thumb.jpg

These were the ones I had difficulty removing the mould lines from due to some slippage of the moulds in the casting process. Can't just phone up for a replacement these days, though.

And finally some Militia from Urban War/Void:

post-3125-0-45730300-1367365184_thumb.jpg

Really need to finish the bases on these guys, but I'm not sure what I want. Might give them some resin ones at some point (cause I'm a bit lazy like that). I actually painted these guys using only the colours that came in a Vallejo starter set, it was a fun little challenge, particularly getting the denim colour right.

Well, that's it for now, comments and thrown pottery welcome as always.

• Like 2

the pics are a bit on the dark side, but from what I can see they look pretty spiffy. really like the bottom two

• Like 1

That's one of my favourite dwarf sculpts. It looks nicely painted, but as has already been mentioned, you need some better lighting in your photos.

::):

• Like 1

Yeeeah, still getting the hang of the photography. Maybe I'll build a light box, but I'll see how far I get on this latest painting kick first. If I get another four or five minis done relatively soon then it might be worth it.

GuyWithCoolBackpack, I appreciate the comment on the base, I probably spent more time and effort on that than the troll itself. I should just paint bases from now on and tell everyone the minis are invisible.

Might help just taking photos against something not so white/reflective, at least my experience is against white you get the same effect as taking photos against the sun. I.e that darkening thing. You could try just printing a gradient of some kind and photographing against that, works well enough for me except for some white balance issues.

Photoshop can do some pretty nifty stuff however:

post-7765-0-05857300-1367393826_thumb.jpg

I had to have a closer look at those guys (the paint is awesome) so I guess I'll share :P

Also that dwarf sculpt is truly amazing.

• Like 1

White background: Dark picture.

Black background: Bright picture.

Gray background: Goldilocks.

:;):

(If you want more information, just let me know.)

• Like 1

White background: Dark picture.

Black background: Bright picture.

Gray background: Goldilocks.

:;):

(If you want more information, just let me know.)

That's brilliant, I don't imagine I'll ever forget now. The missus says she'll paint me a watercolour background. How great is this lady! :wub:

I do tend to jump between genres while painting - I get distracted very easily. Pretty much just working on some fantasy right now, got a few DHL sculpts and a WotC Chainmail on the go.