Cassu

Cassu's many WIPs

Using Cash's handy dandy trick of trying to consolidate my finished minis into a list so they're easy to find.

06023: Anhurian Swordsman (L2PK1) - WIP / Completed

Barrow Rat (L2PK1) - WIP / Completed

02967: Alastriel, Elf Sorceress - WIP

Fenryll's Monkey King - WIP / Completed

02621: Laurana, Sorceress (L2PK 2) - WIP - Completed

02512: Tsuko, Male Monk (L2PK 2) - WIP

Games Workshop Eowyn - WIP / Completed

77009: Bones Werewolf - WIP - Completed

77149: Damien, Hellborn Wizard - WIP

14633: Gilok Onyxfist, Dwarf Wizard - Completed

03500: Mason Thornwarden, Ranger - Completed

2011 Sophie Christmas Ornament - Completed

02869: Elise the Witch - WIP / Completed

02924: Bertok, Barbarian (L2PK 4) - WIP

P02741A: Nymph (L2PK 4) - WIP

77052: Aina, Female Valkyrie - WIP

Home sick today and waiting for Neverwinter to patch, figured it was time to start a w.i.p. thread.

I've started a challenge with someone over on WAMP and we've decided to each do a single figure, using the season 'Winter' as inspiration.  I'm going to be doing up a Winter-themed Alastriel.

winterchallenge1.jpg

Baked some Fimo I had laying around and cut facets into them with a sharp blade to create some large, ice crystals.

winterchallenge2.jpg

Assembling some crystal shards on the base, after the Milliput they're setting in dries I'm going to glue some more shards on.

unicorn.jpg

Working on my Bones Silverhorn Unicorn when I have time, cut off most of the plastic base and secured it on a round base with some Milliput.  I plan to paint this figure in violet (with spots!) and sculpt a dozen or so Monarch butteries to sit around the base, with one hanging off the Unicorn's horn.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 12

I can assure you it's fimo, it's just, very, very old fimo. I found a large chunk of white I had sitting around for maybe 10 years or so? I think I over-baked it too which made it kinda transparent, once I cut the facets in I must admit it is looking like quartz. It's all going to be painted over any how so it doesn't matter what it looks like now.

Feel free to steal as many of my ideas as you want, we're all paints, sculptors and fans here! :bday:

Despite how many projects I have in the works, I've started another. I want to submit an entry into the current Dark Sword Miniatures contest over at WAMP. My mini arrived yesterday, and there's only a couple of weeks left so I got started.
geisha1.jpg

I ordered the Geisha Assassin, because I adore traditional Japanese fashion. (I'm even a part of a local kimono club over here, and have dressed up in a kimono quite a few times now.) Here's a photo of a few of us from the group.
Any way I wanted to make some modifications to the miniature, and have been slowly building up her hair with some green stuff and when it dries I'll sculpt some floral accessories to go on-top. I also wasn't happy with the single layer of kimono, so I've added inner sleeves, another collar around her neckline and an inner fold around her legs. I haven't taken a photo of the back yet, but I've built up a bigger, more fuller obi.

Also plan to cut her off that base, not looking forward to that part...

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 9

Since I began studying karate, oh several years back I have become quite enamored with traditional Japanese clothing, and art. Ladies kimono, and to a less noticeable extent some mens, show both of so well. Every one of you looked very lovely in those kimono. I look forward to seeing what your first hand experience does with this piece (even though she's drawing the sword wrong)

I love the look of the ice, very cool effect.

I have the same assassin and I agree that the hair is lacking, in fact other geisha's I've painted up are lacking in volume on the hair (usually on the sides) and I'm not quite sure why. Some is, obviously, the concept art but others the concepts are spot on.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think lack of hair and accessories is just lack of knowledge. I don't think people want to be too outrageous if they're unsure of how things are supposed to look. I think it comes down to marketability too, which is why so many of the geisha-theme models seem to be slightly undressed.

Been assembling a miniature for a client, Monkey King from Fenryll:

monkeyking1.jpg

This is by-far the most problematic miniature I've ever had to try and assemble. The resin is so brittle, he broke twice in two different prices just while I was assembling him. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I'm adding some green stuff to the base to paint as grass because I want this miniature to look very vibrant and lush. I'll be painting him in the same colour scheme that I drew in this picture last year.

I'll be priming him after I add on his other arm and the glue dries.

• Like 7

Same here! Son Goku is an interesting character, I think it's a shame that you can't find a mini of him on a cloud.

Preparing more minis for priming by prettying up their bases. Sculpted some more rocks for my Phoenicia from Guild of Harmony:

ouro.jpg

After the green stuff dried I added some more small rocks by gluing kitty litter onto the base:
ourobase.jpg

Glued my Reaper Cleric of Urgathoa onto the cobblestone base I sculpted yesterday:
clericurgahtoa.jpg

I started sculpting these bases after the sculpting tools I ordered arrived in the mail, and I must admit they've made a huge difference:
tools.jpg

I got two color shapers (can't afford anymore.. yet!) and Gale Force 9's 'Intro to Miniature Sculpting' set. They make moving the sculpting material around so much easier, I find I can get all sorts of different shapes and patterns into the clay now that I couldn't get before with my bare hands and little toothpicks and stuff that I was using before. There's something to be said for using the right tools for the right job.

• Like 8

Oh I would love for a Son Goku figure perched on a cloud to be made avaliable....excuse me, I have a post to go make to that regard.

Its a pity you are not in Melbourne, the L5R RPG community down there would love you. :)

What's with the guys in the kimono club wearing yukata? (I made sure to bring back yukata, happi coat and modern zori from our trip to Japan. Next time I'm getting a haori and maybe a kimono, just need to find the right shops.)

As to the undressed geisha thing, its a Westernisation. Of course even in Japan the status and appearance of geisha varied, Edo and Kyoto geisha districts were very different as befits the differences between the two cities in Japanese culture. Of course the game the miniature is for and how geisha are potrayed in it makes a difference; consider the Clan War Geisha (http://www.veltd.net/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=1139 )

At the rate you are going with greenstuff you'll have to start considering sculpting a mini soon. :)

Its a pity you are not in Melbourne, the L5R RPG community down there would love you. :)

What's with the guys in the kimono club wearing yukata? (I made sure to bring back yukata, happi coat and modern zori from our trip to Japan. Next time I'm getting a haori and maybe a kimono, just need to find the right shops.)

As to the undressed geisha thing, its a Westernisation. Of course even in Japan the status and appearance of geisha varied, Edo and Kyoto geisha districts were very different as befits the differences between the two cities in Japanese culture. Of course the game the miniature is for and how geisha are potrayed in it makes a difference; consider the Clan War Geisha (http://www.veltd.net/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=1139 )

At the rate you are going with greenstuff you'll have to start considering sculpting a mini soon. :)

I haven't heard of that Melbourne-based group before! I've never played Legend of the Five Rings.

I'm very lucky to have a local D&D group and quite a few friends who also paint minis. We haven't had any meet-ups or anything yet, but when I get my Bones I'm going to have everyone over for a big painting day.

Right now all I have is yukata and informal komon kimono. I personally love komon, you can dress them up with awesome obi and other accessories. When I have the money I'll get myself something like a furisode for special occasions (that and I want a hakama, and you can only wear those with furisode) but by budget won't stretch far past minis right now.

At least I have all of my basics, a few obi, a pair of geta and formal zori, a nagajuban, and all my tying cords.

Eventually I'd love to try and sculpt my own mini by hand, going to buy some of Reaper's pre-made armature's in my next order.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 1

hakama are awesome, but the ties are a pain in the arse to get right, and folding them is such a nuisance that I just hang mine