Cassu's many WIPs

I got to wear a hakama with our Kimono club when we put on a Japanese cultural event at the local University. I got to borrow a friend's hakama and was dressed by the Japanese teachers:
hakama.jpg
That's me second from the right. it was an interesting experience have two older Japanese women dressing you up while bickering in Japanese about the proper way to tie a hakama around the waist.

Started painting Monkey Pants today:
monkeyking3.jpg

monkeyking4.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get in touch with Aussie L5R players check out http://austl5r.com

Also the best place to buy kimono is Japan, keep an eye on Jetstar, they have regular sales of tickets. I really recommend heading over in early April for the start of Cherry Blossom season. Ability to speak Japanese entirely optional (we managed with little more than hello, thanks and sorry). The markets around the temples during cherry blossom viewing times always have kimono stalls (which range from cheap turist items to proper kimono), and then you track down second hand stores and at least cut out the postage.

I also recomend staying in ryokan in Japan, traditional ones, not hotels done in traditional style.

If you want to get in touch with Aussie L5R players check out http://austl5r.com

Also the best place to buy kimono is Japan, keep an eye on Jetstar, they have regular sales of tickets. I really recommend heading over in early April for the start of Cherry Blossom season. Ability to speak Japanese entirely optional (we managed with little more than hello, thanks and sorry). The markets around the temples during cherry blossom viewing times always have kimono stalls (which range from cheap turist items to proper kimono), and then you track down second hand stores and at least cut out the postage.

I also recomend staying in ryokan in Japan, traditional ones, not hotels done in traditional style.

I don't know if this holds true for kimono, but if you go to Tokyo, Asakusa is probably the best place to get a yukata. It's a bit of a tourist trap, but there are enough vendors that the "tourist tax" is quite reasonable while giving you a large selection in a small area.

There is a used book store chain in Japan called "Book Off". I don't know if they're related, but there are hilariously-named used kimono and electronics stores called "Kimono Off" and "Hard Off" respectively. It was hard to keep from giggling every time I heard the cheery store announcements for "Hard Off!"

Edited by fanguad

So many great suggested places to visit in Japan! I've never been before but it's somewhere I'd really love to visit, most of my friends have been and my husband has been. *grumble grumble* I'm so jealous! I'd really love to visit a lot of the rural areas and temples, my husband stayed for a few months in Sapporo with a host family just before we got together. He visited quite a few places while he was there and some of the bigger cities but he said that Sapporo was really quite lovely. He went during Winter, but I think I'd like to go during cherry blossom season.

CashWiley: Wow that monkey king looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!!!!!! :blink: If only I had some spare coinage.

Sculpted some bases for my Reaper familiars, the vulture and the falcon:

familiars.jpg

winterchallenge3.jpg

Still working on Alastriel's base.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 3

Thanks for the suggestion Corporea, I actually plan to instead make a few icicles out of glue-gun glue and stick them to the underside of my crystals when I'm done.
Got Miss Winter lack of pants all primed and ready for painting:
winterchallenge4.jpg

• Like 13

It is inspiring! I want to try and get all of the geisha-themed minis from every company and paint them all in different designs.

Got some more sculpting done tonight. Tomorrow our D&D group is moving back to our Lord of the Rings Rolemaster campaign (we have about 3 or 4 campaigns running at once, so if our DM gets un-inspired, or if we get sick of one rule system) we can play another for awhile.
In our campaign I'm playing a character called Jordanka from Rohan who one day wishes to join the Rohirrim. I've used the Eowyn figure from Games Workshop as a base, but have sculpted her a fur stole and fluffier hair full of leaves and bracken:
jordanka1.jpg
Also added a basic base with green stuff, plan to add some autumn leaves after she's painted. Hoping to get her all painted tomorrow before the session tomorrow night, we'll see how I go.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 6