Sign in to follow this  
Cassu

Cassu's many WIPs

I must admit I did buy some grass tufts and tiny poison ivy vines on the weekend but that was all for basing. I plan to do as much of my basing as I can with things I can find around the house / outside. I've been browsing some great blog of late with so many interesting ideas.

There's nothing wrong with buying stuff for basing, I just bought some dried moss and liners for potted plans to try out some better grass and vegetation basing (as Cash seams to hate tufts). But I do have issues with companies that sell sand, pebbles (and other small rocks) and bark with a huge markup.

• Like 2

I never throw anything away. That's why I can't walk into my "walk-in" closet. You never know when you might need that "whatever" for a basing project! Speaking of which, where did I put that...

I love the basing! Great idea to have the toes overhanging. You could probably just cut of the nails and re-sculpt them closer to the wood. Or extend them with a bit of greenstuff? Or add some greenstuff to the wood to make it look like they're gripping. Whatever works!

Awesome!

• Like 1

Ok... well apparently I need to go get shots up of my werewolf before you finish yours, Cassu. No WAY am I following you.

• Like 1

Agreed MonkeySloth! Another reason when autumn hit I found a local birch tree and grabbed a bag of catkins! This blog post has some great ideas of using collected wood on your bases.

Thanks Cash. I really love your painting too, it's always funny when someone's work you like and inspires you likes your stuff too. Even these days when comic artists I've been fans of for years tell e they like my stuff, I assume they're lying. :wacko:

Awww Baugi nuuu!

Thanks for the suggestions Corporea! I tried cutting the toes off and re-positioning them with green stuff but they were either too fiddly or in the case of his front foot, it made his foot look reeeeally long. So I just re-sculpted the toes from scratch with green stuff:

wolfie2.jpg

Rawr!

Used the left over green stuff to do a bit more on my Unicorn base:

unicorn2.jpg

Also added more kitty litter and plastic base scraps for rocks. I still plan to sculpt as least a dozen little monarch butterflies to scatter around the base and have one hanging off of the Unicorn's horn.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 3

Bits of removed metal bases are a must keep by the way. They make great ballast for miniatures like the unicorn when they are weight forward (or whatever) and can be puttied over to make them look like rock bits and so on (if they are not hidden under the base).

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip OC!

Got the ice crystals shaded tonight:

winterchallenge5.jpg

I'll most likely go in and add some different colours as glazes as a final touch later on.

winterchallenge6.jpg

• Like 17

That must have taken a while. Very nice blending there. This sort of stuff takes me way long, and thus I tend to quit it before I finish it.

• Like 1

I'm also considering cutting the front toes of Mr Wolfie Face and using green stuff to re-position them so they're clinging to the wood. At the moment his foot is kind of just hanging over the edge and it looks weird.

Instead of cutting wolfie, why not use hot water to reshape him?

Your bases look awesome!

Edit: too late for that suggestion...

Edited by Eldariss
  • Like 1

I'm also considering cutting the front toes of Mr Wolfie Face and using green stuff to re-position them so they're clinging to the wood. At the moment his foot is kind of just hanging over the edge and it looks weird.

Instead of cutting wolfie, why not use hot water to reshape him?

Your bases look awesome!

Edit: too late for that suggestion...

I doubt I could have re-shaped his foot the way I wanted even with boiling water. I haven't experimented with such things yet though.

Worked some more on Alastriel this afternoon:
winterchallenge7.jpg
I wanted to paint her cloak like the Northern Lights.
winterchallenge8.jpg
  • Like 14